The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Will Mick and Jeremy join forces?!?!

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...4&showlayout=0
Quote:
Among other musical projects, Mick might get together with one of the Mac's early members - guitarist Jeremy Spencer - for some show dates.

"Jeremy has a new album out, and he's said he would really like to do something," Mick reveals. "There's some tasty stuff on it. Jeremy likes floaty instrumentals and the album has several. His voice has totally come back and he's playing great. If I knew I was going to do a productive tour in Europe, the Jeremy Spencer Band could open up."
I'm assuming that Precious Little is the new Jeremy Spencer album to which Mick refers?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Hard to say, if it is, it doesn't have THAT many instrumentals but who knows.

It seems like his dig about "If I knew I was going to do a productive tour in Europe" is his way of saying he wants the next FM tour to be a bigger tour and the others don't want to? I dunno, seems like that was his main motive in this quote more than anything but just shooting in the dark is all.

John
Old 04-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Jeremy is supposed to have a new album coming out if rumours are to be believed - from his site:

"While recording a CD in January 2010, I stuck mainly to a small brass flared slide and a ceramic 'Moonshine' slide for those numbers which I was singing and playing live with the band, and I used a 'Chrome Dome' for the instrumentals where a stronger 'presence' was needed for the thicker bass strings. "
Old 04-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Well Jeremy is supposed to have a new album coming out if rumours are to be believed - from his site:

"While recording a CD in January 2010, I stuck mainly to a small brass flared slide and a ceramic 'Moonshine' slide for those numbers which I was singing and playing live with the band, and I used a 'Chrome Dome' for the instrumentals where a stronger 'presence' was needed for the thicker bass strings. "
VERY exciting!

Also, it's sweet to know that (apparently) Jeremy let Mick listen to it prior to it being released. Good to think he might still be a valued ear.

ETA: Also, it's kinda funny how the bulk of that album was about things that the Mac is NOT doing (thanks to Stevie) while Jeremy has a new album that's already made. Show 'em how it's done, Jeremy!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-24-2010 at 07:56 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From comments that Jeremy has made in the past, I'd doubt we're looking at any studio or onstage collaborations any time soon.

It seems to me that Jeremy has little if any interest in playing the old FM material, which would invariably be the expectation if he and Mick are sharing the same stage. I just don't see it happening.

As far as Mick's comments are concerned, I read it as Mick looking at another MFBB tour in Europe and Jeremy's band possibly opening, but that's pure speculation on my part. Jeremy opening for MFBB sounds more likely than Jeremy opening for the B/N line-up.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
From comments that Jeremy has made in the past, I'd doubt we're looking at any studio or onstage collaborations any time soon.
Although when I asked Jeremy a few months back whether he had any plans to release a new CD he also said no.

Last edited by chriskisn; 04-26-2010 at 01:23 AM..
Old 04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It seems to me that Jeremy has little if any interest in playing the old FM material, which would invariably be the expectation if he and Mick are sharing the same stage. I just don't see it happening.

As far as Mick's comments are concerned, I read it as Mick looking at another MFBB tour in Europe and Jeremy's band possibly opening, but that's pure speculation on my part. Jeremy opening for MFBB sounds more likely than Jeremy opening for the B/N line-up.
Sorry for mischaracterizing the article by saying: "join forces." The opening act idea is all I meant.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Sorry for mischaracterizing the article by saying: "join forces." The opening act idea is all I meant.
No offense taken, believe me. I'm not that sensitive.

I just honestly don't see any kind of Mick/Jeremy "reunion" ever happening. Be it playing on the same bill or actually playing together in the same band. I just don't think Jeremy's into the idea. If you read his comments that he's made here, it sounds to me like he'd like to forget the whole "Fleetwood Mac thing" ever happened. He's definitely not any kind of "nostalgia buff" when it comes to FM.

I asked him what he thought of the MFBB and specifically what he thought of Rick Vito as a guitarist (not in comparison to Peter or himself, just what he thought of Rick's skills) and he never even answered the question. Simply ignored it. That says a lot to me.

Anyway, let's see what happens. It would be great to see the two of them on the same stage, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No offense taken, believe me. I'm not that sensitive.

I just honestly don't see any kind of Mick/Jeremy "reunion" ever happening. Be it playing on the same bill or actually playing together in the same band. I just don't think Jeremy's into the idea. If you read his comments that he's made here, it sounds to me like he'd like to forget the whole "Fleetwood Mac thing" ever happened. He's definitely not any kind of "nostalgia buff" when it comes to FM.

I asked him what he thought of the MFBB and specifically what he thought of Rick Vito as a guitarist (not in comparison to Peter or himself, just what he thought of Rick's skills) and he never even answered the question. Simply ignored it. That says a lot to me.

Anyway, let's see what happens. It would be great to see the two of them on the same stage, but I'm not holding my breath.
I personally tried to ask Jeremy Spencer questions concerning Peter Green on this forum, and I was shot down completely. Jeremy Spencer cares about himself, and his ""Punxsutawney Phil" groundhog emergence into the public eye.

I think Jeremy would do "it", if Peter was willing. Jerry knows it will never happen. As a guitar player Jeremy Spencer is playing his best today. His material is incredible!!! Spencer is a little sensitive to the "past", so he's hard to crack.

The catch 22 of this idea is that Jeremy Spencer was the reason Fleetwood Mac hired Danny Kirwan. Without Kirwan, the future of FM is altered completely. There is no "Kiln House", "Future Games", or "Bare Trees".
Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default no future without the past

Dear Friends,

Did you ever want to reunite with your college roommates and do what you did back then again?

Jeremy Spencer is a consumate slide player who can front his own band of his own choosing. What he chooses to do is his own. I find it hard to believe that any of our thoughts and wishes are the same as his. As far as his ego in this... He is a performer and he wouldn't be one without a ego. Mick one would suppose has one too and I am not entirely sure that when FM was formed that it was based on wht Mick thought should happen.

sincerely,

vinnie c
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Dear Friends,

Did you ever want to reunite with your college roommates and do what you did back then again?

Jeremy Spencer is a consumate slide player who can front his own band of his own choosing. What he chooses to do is his own. I find it hard to believe that any of our thoughts and wishes are the same as his. As far as his ego in this... He is a performer and he wouldn't be one without a ego. Mick one would suppose has one too and I am not entirely sure that when FM was formed that it was based on wht Mick thought should happen.

sincerely,

vinnie c
I think you may have missed the point. What seems to me to be the focus of the discussion is whether or not Jeremy and Mick would play on the same bill or even share the same stage again. If that were to happen, there would be the obvious expectation that at least a few FM songs would be played. Not that it necessarily would need to be the entire focus of the set list, but strictly by virtue of the fact that you would have 2 of the "original" members of FM on the same stage, the expectation would exist that a few of the old FM songs would be played.

My point is that I don't think that will ever happen because Jeremy doesn't seem to have any nostalgia whatsoever for that time in his life. So be it.

As you say, Jeremy is a consumate slide player and fully capable of fronting his own band. What I think is the focus here is whether or not he and Mick would play together. Mick is obviously willing. Given the opportunity, I personally believe, Mick would re-unite the original FM and play until his arms fell off. He obviously has a desire to rekindle that era of his life, thus the formation of the MFBB.

As far as college mates are concerned, I meet or at least have contact with a fair number of them regularly. We don't do what we used to. We've "grown up" as it were. We do, however, have a great time talking about what happened in our past and "re-living" it in that way at least. I honestly don't think any of my old mates would be interested in actually doing some of the things we used to do back in those days. We're older men with families now, not young/stupid kids who think we're indestructible.

Honestly, I know we will never see an onstage or studio reunion of the original FM. It just won't happen. It is nice to dream, but really, that's all it will ever be. That era of FM has come and gone, never to be seen again. Sad, but true.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^I think that if Stevie is gonna hold up a new Mac album, that Mick should SERIOUSLY do an album with ALL the members of Fleetwood Mac: each song with its own writer and its own dynamic--but ALL with john/mick. That would be the perfect farewell. Of course, in my (pipe) dream of this, Lindsey would be the producer. I D K--it's something special that all 18(?) members of the Mac are still alive. And such a project would require little commitment.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 04-29-2010 at 08:13 AM..
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Ledgie

Hello True Faith: I think you have a great idea! FM is very fortunate to have all members still around, and most of them still making music. A "farewell" CD with contributions from all the singer/songwriters would be welcome (and probably very successful). It's likely to be wishful thinking for us, but I think it would be great! Best regards, Madelow.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default if wishes were horses

Quote:
, there would be the obvious expectation that at least a few FM songs would be played. Not that it necessarily would need to be the entire focus of the set list, but strictly by virtue of the fact that you would have 2 of the "original" members of FM on the same stage, the expectation would exist that a few of the old FM songs would be played.

My point is that I don't think that will ever happen because Jeremy doesn't seem to have any nostalgia whatsoever for that time in his life. So be it.
If there were a double bill of the two bands it would be safe to say many of the old FM songs would be sung if for no other reason than more than half of Mick's bands repetoire is old FM songs or songs that the old FM covered themselves. As for Jeremy Spencer, he still does a few of the songs he did back then, like the revised "Dr Browm" that he labels as Doctor G and her still does Elmore James tunes. I personally don't think Mr Specer is that big on nostalgia for the old FM.

Would I love if Peter Green's FM featuring Jeremy Spencer got back together and play their old stuff? You bet I would. I think the idea of doing a collaborative album with all of the living and playing members is a nice one. John Mayall did a nice one a few years back called "Along For The Ride" which sadlly did not include Eric Clapton among others but did have Mayall, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green on the same song (along with Steve Miller) but not in the same studio at the same time

The cut is called "YO YO Man. I found out , to my chagrin when I was able to ask about the ccut to John McVie on this site, that he had no idea that Peter green was on the song with him. so it is fair to say a lot of legwork would need to be done to pull off such a feat again.

vinnie c
Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Would I love if Peter Green's FM featuring Jeremy Spencer got back together and play their old stuff? You bet I would. I think the idea of doing a collaborative album with all of the living and playing members is a nice one. John Mayall did a nice one a few years back called "Along For The Ride" which sadlly did not include Eric Clapton among others but did have Mayall, John McVie, Mick Fleetwood and Peter Green on the same song (along with Steve Miller) but not in the same studio at the same time

The cut is called "YO YO Man. I found out , to my chagrin when I was able to ask about the ccut to John McVie on this site, that he had no idea that Peter green was on the song with him. so it is fair to say a lot of legwork would need to be done to pull off such a feat again.

vinnie c

The biggest rift to mend isn't between Jeremy Spencer, and Peter Green; it's John McVie, and Peter Green. After all these years, John McVie is still angry that Peter Green tried to convince (then) Christine Perfect not to marry John. At the time Peter had his points, and he turned out to be correct. McVie was a raging alcoholic, as he was in Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Peter didn't drink at the time, so he felt above John with his "drugs of choice". In return, John McVie has convinced everyone (with Mick Fleetwood) that Peter Green completely lost his mind in Munich 3/70. The truth is in the middle. Peter's attitude towards music changed during early 1970, yet he played some of his best concerts in April of 1970. Green was not Syd Barrett, Roky Erickson, or Skip Spence. Green's decline was gradual. While LSD may have triggered Peter's illness, it may have taken longer to develop if he never took hallucinogens.

I reference the picture of John McVie kissing the side of Peter Green's head. It shows that McVie, and Green were very close friends at that time. I think Green's failed "intervention" may have altered Fleetwood Mac for the worse, at least for 1970-72.