The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always liked the album, not too long ago I played it again for the first time in a long time. I think it holds up pretty well, although it has a very 80's feel, it's not so time locked as say "Rock A Little" is. "Little Lies" is a classic and Lindsey's title track is among his best. You can tell that Stevie literally phoned in her parts. In fact everytime I hear "Little Lies" and Stevie's lines come up I'm reminded of the reason for that is because she wasn't originally on the song at all.
I bought the LP when this was released, but it skipped so I ended up getting the cassette, when I got my first CD played in '88 "Tango" was one of the first batch of CD's I got.
I loved that all of the singles had a 12" counterpart with extended versions.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
I bought the LP when this was released, but it skipped so I ended up getting the cassette, when I got my first CD played in '88 "Tango" was one of the first batch of CD's I got.
I loved that all of the singles had a 12" counterpart with extended versions.
The LP I had skipped like crazy, even though I bought it brand new! Was there a production defect??
Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
The LP I had skipped like crazy, even though I bought it brand new! Was there a production defect??
Could be!!! As I recall almost the entire second side skipped at least once during every song. As much as I love vinyl, that is one aspect I don't miss at all!!!

For those too young to have any idea of what we are talking about, occasionally with a vinyl record they would skip, that is the song would either repeat one line over and over until you moved the needle or it would just jump over a line. This was most often caused by having a dull needle, but could also have been the way the record was made. When they put more than 15mins per side, the grooves had to be placed closer together so the odds of skipping was greater.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
It was the same for me! I bought my first copy of the LP the day it was released, and over the next two days, I had to keep exchanging it. In fact, "Tango" was actually the very reason I bought a cd player! I kept returning copies of the album, and then finally I accepted the fact that I was not going to hear this music if I kept opting for the LP, so I broke down and got the cd.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Ledgie

I didn't have any trouble with mine. Maybe it was from another master.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Okay, I'm sure most will agree that this album, along with "Mirage", is largely ignored by Fleetwood Mac nowadays, and has somewhat mixed reactions from FM fans. Personally, it's my favourite!.. right after Tusk! I even bought a cassette of it a few months ago for listening to in mum's car! Interestingly, when I put it on recently, she asked me if it was a greatest hits album! I told her it wasn't, it was TITN, and she replied...
"Really? Oh... it's just that there's so many good songs on it!"
I love it for the nostalgia it gives me (particularly "Little Lies"), and for its experimental instrumentation - its sound slots into the 80s perfectly!
So, for those who love it, why? And for those who don't... read the thread title!
This album is a mixed bag for me. I either the love the song to death or hate it beyond words; there isn't any middle ground on this album for me at all.

Much, much, great big love for:

Big Love
Tango In The Night
Mystified
Little Lies
Isn't It Midnight
Welcome To the Room... Sara
When I See You Again

Be kind and kill me instead of making me listen to these:

Seven Wonders
Everywhere
Caroline
Family Man
You And I Part 2
Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Suffice to say, the reasons why some people don't like TITN as much (e.g. probably FM themselves)
Oh, except for Stevie, I bet the FM members like TITN a lot more than they like Mirage.

Michele
Old 12-28-2009, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have residual affection for "Tango" but I don't listen to it. It was an interesting -- & pretty -- burst of renewed energy in my Macophilia in 1987, but it's got a sterility to it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I have residual affection for "Tango" but I don't listen to it. It was an interesting -- & pretty -- burst of renewed energy in my Macophilia in 1987, but it's got a sterility to it.
This is true plus the hype the album got was amazing "The first new Mac album in 5 years!!" MTV did the entire "Mac Attack Weekend" thing with Mac videos and interviews every hour leading up to the premiere of "Big Love".
The album marked the end of an era for the band. After "Tango" everything changed. As a swan song (it is the last studio album by the Rumours line-up) it's a strong album to go out on.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Ledgie

I've got to admit that Tango always has been and probably always will be my favourite Mac album.

It's due to "Everywhere" that I became addicted to the band.
I also love "Seven Wonders", it's one of those songs that I have to unexplainably play LOUD.

I guess it's one of those albums that you either love or hate.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PutTheBlameOnMe View Post
I also love "Seven Wonders", it's one of those songs that I have to unexplainably play LOUD.
Absolutely! I love Seven Wonders! It's a very strong track and although Stevie didn't write it (one word: "emmaline" so doesn't count!) I think that it's her strongest track on the album. I do agree that her other 2 contributions maybe drag the album down a bit...

The only other song I'm really not too keen on is You and I... otherwise I think it's a great album. Yes, it's very 80s and different for the Mac but it still works. I just wish that they played the title track live, just once! Imagine being able to shout that great TAAAANNNGOOOO at the top of your voice while it's being played right in front of you! Love it!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
Absolutely! I love Seven Wonders! It's a very strong track and although Stevie didn't write it (one word: "emmaline" so doesn't count!) I think that it's her strongest track on the album. I do agree that her other 2 contributions maybe drag the album down a bit...

Always wondered how much better that album could've been had Stevie been "on the ball"...
Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Love it! Tango seemed to do really well over here if i remember rightly and i was only about 12or13 at the time, almost everybody i knew seemed to have a copy and if it wasn't for this album and Big Love i don't know if i'd have ever become a fan as i wasn't familar with any of the earlier stuff, My parents didn't even have a copy of Rumours(Oh the Shame!)
Old 12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Contrast that with how gorgeous Lindsey's verse sounds, and you see what rock and roll and love can do to one person...
"What has rock and roll ever done for me? Well, everything!"
Old 12-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I think "Little Lies" was one of those tunes I remembered in the 80s, growing up. I had long forgotten that track by 1997, and I was sucked back into the Big Mac with THE DANCE... and I rediscovered this tune, not really ever knowing WHO it was that actually sang it! It was a pleasant surprise.
When I had just started being a fleetwood mac fan, I thought it was lindsey singing little lies, not christine haha