User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
She seems nice but she's like the living, breathing, walking, talking definition of WASP.
So, excluding Peter Green, have there been any official members of FM who did not fit that description?

Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Whilst there's no doubt many/most/all of his early songs would have been about Stevie do we know that he's actually suggested his material over the last 20 years has been about her also? I'd be more inclined to think any occasional reference he's made to all be part of the shtick.
The EP is all about her. There's no doubt there. But yes, I guess what you mean: FM songs dedicated to Stevie, because that's part of the big machine. His solo work is a bit more unclear.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
She seems nice but she's like the living, breathing, walking, talking definition of WASP.
I very much doubt she would be living the luxurious life she's living without her husband's fortune. But hey, that's always the wife's privilege for being a wife!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
The EP is all about her. There's no doubt there. But yes, I guess what you mean: FM songs dedicated to Stevie, because that's part of the big machine. His solo work is a bit more unclear.

Well, you see I do have some doubt that LB's 3 EP songs are specifically about Stevie. Though he may have intimated at the time they were about her, really I suspect that's just to fit the Lindsey/Stevie narrative for the benefit of the band. Actually (and I'm not exactly a Lindsey Buckingham expert) I reckon the lyrics to those songs are really quite generic and could apply to anyone and no-one. Though Sad Angel in particular is deemed to sound 'Fleetwood Maccy' the words to the song itself are quite in keeping with solo songs. You could probably pick a random selection of LB songs from the past 20 years and justify why the lyrics to all of them are about SN- that doesn't mean they really are about her, no matter what people may think.

Christine openly admits she never really writes songs about anyone in particular- she just writes generic love songs. I suspect that's the case these days with Lindsey- he's been doing it so long he doesn't need a muse or spark of inspiration to come up with ideas. If at any time he needs them to be about SN then he can twist the words to suit the agenda.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 AM

I remember reading some articles in which Lindsey did say that the EP songs are written for and/or about Stevie, but they're also written so that they could appeal to her, here are some I just found:

Stevie Nicks arrived at the sessions towards the end, and Buckingham presented her with "Sad Angel." "I wrote that song for Stevie," he says. "She always had to fight for everything. She was coming off a solo album and was in the process of reintegrating herself mentally in the band, and we're all warriors with a sword in one sort or another. She and I have known each other since high school. So I just wrote, 'Sad Angel have you come to fight the war/We fall to earth together, the crowd calling out for more.'"
Like many of the group's greatest songs, "Sad Angel" reflects on Lindsey and Stevie's complex relationship. "All these years later, we are still writing songs that are dialogues for each other," he says. "That was part of the appeal of Rumours, and of the group in general . . . Of all the things we cut, 'Sad Angel' was, for lack of a better term, the most Fleetwood Mac-y. It was really kind of the best stuff that we have done in a while." [...] The show wraps with "Say Goodbye," the only song of the night drawn from the group's 2003 LP Say You Will. "As I said, Stevie and I have probably more of a connection now than we have in years," says Buckingham. "You can feel it. It's tangible on stage. In many ways, that song is the embodiment of that. When you look at 'Without You,' it's Stevie writing a song about me when everything was before us and all those illusions were intact. 'Say Goodbye' was written 10 years ago, when most of our experience together was behind us. Part of those illusions had fallen away."
Much of their story may be behind them, but Lindsey and Stevie are still taking the stage together night after night and collaborating on new material. "It was difficult for years to get complete closure," Buckingham says. "There was never any time to not be together. It was kind of like picking the scab off an open wound again and again. That's part of the legacy of the band. But 'Say Goodbye' is a very sweet song, and it's about her: 'Once you said goodbye to me/Now I say goodbye to you.' It took a long time. All those illusions have fallen away, but that doesn't mean that there isn't resolve and hope and belief in the future in a different context. That's really what the song is about, and we end the set with just the two of us singing that song."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ew-ep-20130507

“Extended Play,” a four-song EP with your first new music in 10 years, came out on April 30 and landed in iTunes top 10. How gratifying was it that people were so eager to hear new music?

I haven”t paid too much attention to how things are going with it because, really, Mick [Fleetwood] and John [McVie] and I got together last year and we cut a bunch of tracks and then Stevie came to the table later. Even early on, Mick and John and I felt that the songs that we were doing were some of the best stuff we”d done in quite a while.

I am also happy with what it represents with the subject matter. The dialogues to Stevie that are, miraculously, still going on back and forth between Stevie and myself after all these years, I find that to be quite touching and somewhat surprising- something that neither one of us would have predicted years and years ago that we”d still somehow be driving each other”s motivation from a distance, and so I”m very happy with the way the EP turned out and it”s great to be doing some new things on stage.

You wrote one of the new songs, “Sad Angel,” for Stevie. What was her reaction when she first heard it?

I was not there, but I believe she latched onto it immediately. [When] that song was written, I was trying to reach out to her a little bit… she had a very good experience making her solo album [2011″s “In Your Dreams”] and it took her awhile to kind of sort of ease into the mentality of being in Fleetwood Mac again this time… That was a song to help lure her in a little bit, not that there was an agenda to do that, but it just seemed appropriate to what was going on at the time… “Hello Sad Angel, have you come to fight the war” and “Here we are, we fall to earth together/the crowd calling out for more.” It”s really sort of sweet that all of this is still taking place.

With piano ballad “It Takes Time,” you”re pleading for patience to someone who wants to heal you. What’s that about?

I guess the reflection is that I”m actually looking at some of the actions that I”ve taken over the years and maybe judging them more objectively and maybe getting to a point in one”s life where you can look back and say, “Hmmm, maybe I could have done that differently” and acknowledging that much of the motivation that has driven certain creative actions and certain decisions has come from that dialogue that seems to have unfolded in slow motion over a period of many years. We are still somehow on a road of evolvement.

Is that one about Stevie?

I would think so.

It”s not the only relationship you”ve had, so I wasn”t sure.

But, you know, you can slip into these roles and it”s not that the feelings that you have aren”t… it doesn”t mean they are any less authentic. But at this point, to some degree, what Stevie and I have, we”ve played these characters for so long, you know, and it doesn”t threaten anything having to do with my home life, my wife completely understands the dynamic of it. There”s a certain aspect of professionalism to it.

Do you feel that in some way now it”s part of your role to keep playing into this mythology?

Well, it”s a mixed bag. There is the mythology and there is, you could call it, a role, but you know that doesn”t mean we haven”t lived it. If you backtrack all the way back to “Rumours,” when all of this mythology rose up, if you look at the appeal of that album, it went beyond the music. It was, whether people could identify it or not, this idea that under less than ideal circumstances, in fact, under quite emotionally challenging and painful circumstances, that we were able to somehow summon up the strength to rise above that and to sort of follow through on what we needed to do fulfill our destiny, if you want to call it that. And so the subtext of “Rumours” becomes not the soap opera part so much as that it was an act of will and that has continued. Where reality stops and where the role begins, it”s a little fuzzy in there, you know.

[...]

“Extended Play” also features “Miss Fantasy,” a new track with very classic Fleetwood Mac harmonies. How did that come about? ??

That was sort of in a moment when I”d had some interaction with Stevie where I felt like I was tapping into the whole lexicon of memories and of emotional connections going all the way back to before she and I were a couple. She was really much caught up in the world of her solo effort. It was right at the end of that and I felt like it was hard to kind of find her in all of that or that perhaps more accurately, it was harder for her to find me, and the person that she knew and trusted and so you know, “Miss Fantasy,” it may be “you don”t remember me/but I remember you” and that”s really what that”s about.

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/fleetwood-m...r-a-new-album/

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 04-04-2017 at 02:18 PM..
Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow actual discussion in LB forum! Haven't seen this is a while considering no solo activity since 2012. So refreshing!

Yeah LB was very clear that 3 EP songs were about Stevie, trying to lure her into recording with FM. We know how well that worked, but he tried!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Wow actual discussion in LB forum! Haven't seen this is a while considering no solo activity since 2012. So refreshing!

Yeah LB was very clear that 3 EP songs were about Stevie, trying to lure her into recording with FM. We know how well that worked, but he tried!

Well, we'll never quite know but I'm personally not convinced. Cynically I maintain those songs could have appeared on any of his solo albums but he can take the words to the songs he's written and get them to fit Stevie and convince her and everyone else they are about her. When you read through the songs the links to Stevie are quite flimsy.
Is that one about Stevie? I would think so
I don't entirely find that convincing.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel like a lot of Lindsey's lyrics, starting around like Mirage, maybe even Tusk, at least for me started to become kind of like ???????
I think he started writing less about obvious personal things, like this happened, then this etc and he would instead get like an idea from something/someone and write a song around it.

Like Oh Diane, what even is that.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:51 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, you see I do have some doubt that LB's 3 EP songs are specifically about Stevie. Though he may have intimated at the time they were about her, really I suspect that's just to fit the Lindsey/Stevie narrative for the benefit of the band. Actually (and I'm not exactly a Lindsey Buckingham expert) I reckon the lyrics to those songs are really quite generic and could apply to anyone and no-one. Though Sad Angel in particular is deemed to sound 'Fleetwood Maccy' the words to the song itself are quite in keeping with solo songs. You could probably pick a random selection of LB songs from the past 20 years and justify why the lyrics to all of them are about SN- that doesn't mean they really are about her, no matter what people may think.

Christine openly admits she never really writes songs about anyone in particular- she just writes generic love songs. I suspect that's the case these days with Lindsey- he's been doing it so long he doesn't need a muse or spark of inspiration to come up with ideas. If at any time he needs them to be about SN then he can twist the words to suit the agenda.
Not only Lindsey but also Mick said those songs where about the two of them. Of course Mick's opinion could also fit into the "for the benefit of the band" category, but I can't distrust everybody.

Lindsey called Stevie "Sad Angel" during the MSG 2013 show. That's why I think that song is about her.

He also said on Las Vegas 2013 show that most of this songs are about Stevie, but like you say he could be twisting the words to suit the agenda.

If you think about it all three writers on FM doesn't write for anybody in particular and for everybody.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

Hey, I like the EP!

I know, he tried once. He's not gonna try twice.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, we'll never quite know but I'm personally not convinced. Cynically I maintain those songs could have appeared on any of his solo albums but he can take the words to the songs he's written and get them to fit Stevie and convince her and everyone else they are about her. When you read through the songs the links to Stevie are quite flimsy.
Is that one about Stevie? I would think so
I don't entirely find that convincing.
Hey, they could very well be about Carol Ann!

He always says that he never knows when Stevie writes a song about him, and he never asks. Maybe it's because he has the same writing process at least when it comes to the recipient of the song.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
well that seems sure. she does seem to be very into leading the grand life of the landed gentry.... the big house with the turret, the lush decor, the equestrian lifestyle...... It's kind of amazing to go from working with top LA designers to re-do your first house then suddenly calling yourself a designer and opening your own shop and your own furniture line and lots of media coverage. Now she's a supposed architect, her company is KB Architects.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You know, I went to college to become an accountant. I guess architects go to college too.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Kb Llc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Now she's a supposed architect, her company is KB Architects.
Her website is KB LLC (limited liability corporation - set up to protect personal assets from company obligations and liabilities, including lawsuits). I see no reference, past or present, that makes reference to being an architect or offering architectural services. You must be registered in each state you practice in to offer architectural design services as they have serious responsibilities and obligations (life safety, means of egress, structural if a separate structural engineer is not retained, occupancy limitations, etc.).

An interior designer helps you pick fabrics, furnishings and artwork. It is very much akin to the fashion industry, but for homes and buildings instead of personal garments.

Sorry to be anal, but being in the construction business, I am very attuned to the reponsibilities and obligations of design professionals.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
Her website is KB LLC (limited liability corporation - set up to protect personal assets from company obligations and liabilities, including lawsuits). I see no reference, past or present, that makes reference to being an architect or offering architectural services. You must be registered in each state you practice in to offer architectural design services as they have serious responsibilities and obligations (life safety, means of egress, structural if a separate structural engineer is not retained, occupancy limitations, etc.).

An interior designer helps you pick fabrics, furnishings and artwork. It is very much akin to the fashion industry, but for homes and buildings instead of personal garments.

Sorry to be anal, but being in the construction business, I am very attuned to the reponsibilities and obligations of design professionals.
I never visited her website but her twitter account states: "Designer. Architecture and Interiors"
Old 04-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never visited her website but her twitter account states: "Designer. Architecture and Interiors"
Have not seen her Twitter account. As a licensed business, she can hire a registered Archtitect for any projects that may involve structural or building code issues. However, the individual Architect must be registered with the state.

Not sure of the purpose of these posts. I had only one interaction with Kristen. Before a concert in Milwaukee, she was visiting with a friend (might be from the area). My daughter asked her to go backstage and get Lindsey to sign a photo, and she obliged and seemed very pleasant.

For what it is worth, the Stevie bashing on the Rumours board is in poor taste (and I am not a Stevie fan).