The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Lindsey, if your people are reading this

Hey, Lindsey, I got an idea for ye. I won't even charge you for it. Just let's get your music out and call it even. Get your management people to look into doing a deal with Apple to release your unused solo songs through iTunes.

Here's what I propose: A song a week for three months. I believe there's enough material. Start releasing them in June around the time of the PBS special (and shortly after my birthday). You could get a fair amount of mileage out of this thing.

This is about as cheap an option to get your music out as you're going to get. Get back to me on this, will you?

June 21: Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
June 28: Deep Dense
July 5: Twist of Fate
July 12: Down on Rodeo
July 19: Gotta Get Away
July 26: Peacekeeper (the good version)
August 2: Shuffle Riff
August 9: The Singer Not the Song
August 16: She Smiled Sweetly
August 23: Gift of Screws
August 30: Say Goodbye (original version)
Sept. 6: Try for the Son
Sept 13: My Little Demon (studio version)

And... anything else you've been holding back from us.

Dude, it's a good idea. Just do it.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 04-08-2004 at 09:56 AM..
Old 04-08-2004, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Post Re: Lindsey, if you're people are reading this

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Sept. 6: Try for the Son
Man, I love that subtle typo.

I like the idea as well. It's time to teach that old dog some new tricks.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A very good idea indeed,

except that you have to release more than my fellow ledgie and highly respected buckophile Carne is proposing, I really want to add, that, like the bonusdisk of the Tuskremaster shows, that early takes of your beautiful art, sometimes can stand on their own. I know that's a hard thing to take for a perfectionist, but I will dance around in circles for the rest of my life if you released Given Thing and Steve's Riff, too. Those songs are raw, unfinished, yet appealing in their own naieve way.

After those three months, Warner will sign you to do the next Mac-album. Before you use the pen grab some tie and whisper:
I'll only sign if you put out my soundstageperformance on DVD immediately. Unedited. You can make it a single disc. No prob.

yours sincerely

gerald "papahohoho...papa" van koert

Old 04-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The news from today excited me- so here`s my dissertation about that project:
First of all concerning the download thing... Hasn't he said during an interview that he still believes in the power of albums O.K. he used different words of course.
Carnes idea is good, if the alternative was not to release the songs at all. But personally I like an album better- with a nice cover and a booklet and the lyrics and photos and just because I want to keep it in my hand. And after the interview from this morning it suddenly seems possible that this could happen. That leads to the question- which songs could be used...

I always wondered why they did not use DOR and Shuffle riff or SGTCYM for the Mac album. I am sure that he regards Shuffle riff as a potential single and imo it would have been much more exciting than the rerecord of BTLH. DOR received very good critics among us ledgies whereas some SYW songs received mixed comments. It`s my favourite from GOS btw. (Hello Joe) Normally they had to be included on the record. I guess he just didn't include them for the Mac project because he wanted to keep something strong for a solo project. This way it would in fact make sense not to include these strong songs. The alternative would have been
1) to keep them for a new Mac album. Very speculative as another project was not confirmed at the beginning of the SYW sessions (nor is it now).
2) to not release them at all. But I doubt that he omitted these (best) songs completely- I`m sure he knows these 3 are among his best.

So on my list these 3 would be part of it.
Then I think two covers are likely, I doubt he puts too many covers on the disc after all these years of not releasing anything. One Stones cover ( I think GTGA) and the Donovan thing. That would make 5 songs
Then Twist of fate and GOS- although they might have been on the Mac record and probably Stevies voice is mixed in now. They might keep them for the next FM album...?
But lets say he uses his solo versions of these 2 so that would be 7 songs then.
I doubt he uses MY little demon, it would be another rerecord/release and the studio track lacks something imo. So I called him and told him to leave it out.
I expect the album to include ca 12-14 tracks and that would leave space for 5-7 tracks we do not know until now. I forgot Deep dense from Carnes list. Then it would be still 4-6. I believe he should have a lot of material on store after all these years and I remember an interview of the female guitarist from the Cradle tour (was it Janet Robins?)- sorry the name is lost in the moment but I`m sure somebody can affirm it or knows the correct name. Anyway she said that LB had a complete album done ca 1995 and that he then for some reason began working on something new. Was the record company not happy with it or he himself, it`s a long time I did read that. But it means there must be a lot of material we don't know about so the 5 songs in addition to those I assumed seem realistic to me. Even Stevie said in the beginning of SYW that LB had material for far more than an double album.

This release of already existing material should also be good for him as he is
1) visible for his audience in the moment (just like after The dance)
2) another Mac album does not need to be postponed because of that. If this is really planned...

All in all I still hope and expect to get ca 5 new songs, nobody heard before. O.K. I`m probably trying here to persuade myself that this will happen. I still remember me visiting the Reprise site for years (sic!!!) several times a week in search for a concrete release date of GOS...

Last edited by stefan; 04-08-2004 at 02:16 PM..
Old 04-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really wish LB would take a leaf out of Christine's book and sign up with a hungray independent label who understand the needs of the 'mature' artist and would treat Lindsey with the respect he deserves. In my opinion Warners/Reprise who whoever they want to call themselves do not unless he slaps the Fleetwood Mac name on his recordings.

Was anyone else disgusted to see the Warner bigwigs at the listening session for SYW in the DR documentary. My god they don't need to hear the FM stuff, just release what the band deem fit to record, this is the band that gave them Rumours for god's sake that established their company and the members of FM have been doing this for nigh on 25 years.

All in all, I'm not so sure that staying with Warners was the best move for the band, does anyone know how many albums the band are now tied into with Warners/Reprise?

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM

I believe the contract is for one album only. FM may be shopping itself around after this tour.

I agree that Warner was no longer suitable to this band's needs. It's too bad the band didn't see this.

Lindsey needs to start acting like the independent thinker he wants us to believe he is when it comes to releasing his music.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the band saw that about WB, but in the DR doc., it was suggested that WB gave them more $$$$$

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Try For The Son" AND "If you're people"... both in the same post?

From CarneVaca?

Dude, you're slipping!

(Just some good natured ribbing, folks.)

By the way, it's a very good idea... although I'm one of those old-fogeys who prefers to have an actual CD in my hands, professionally manufactured with high-quality graphics and liner notes.

But hey, if this is the only way we can get new material from Lindsey in a timely fashion, then I'd be all for it.
Though I think one song a month is way too long of a wait.
One song per week, might be better.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 04-08-2004 at 02:54 PM..
Old 04-08-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
"Try For The Son" AND "If you're people"... both in the same post?

From CarneVaca?

Dude, you're slipping!

Yeah, I know. What's the world coming to? I tried to change the subject line on the thread, but the system doesn't allow you to do that. Oh well.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:01 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:12 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up YAY!!

That would be awesome to get LB's music ANY way we could!

I also agree with JS in that I prefer to have a CD case with the thank you notes, lyrics, photos, etc....but hey, it's the music that's numero uno.

I have a weird feeling that within the next 10-15 years, CD's will be obsolete and music will come from the net....only.

Perhaps, writing to his manager would be an option? Tell him, we are in dire need of Lindsey solo music or we will wither away and die. Just kidding about the dying thing.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Yes!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
And... anything else you've been holding back from us.
Which I hope and pray is a BUTTLOAD of music!!! I love the GOS songs, but I'm achin' for some never-before-heard stuff!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Carne I think this is an AMAZING idea.

And I agree that FM should ditch Warner/Reprise-- they did NOTHING to support this album. Maybe Interscope would have served them better....
Old 04-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Oh yeah...

Glad you brought up Interscope, Meredith, because one of Lindsey's fave artists, Eminem, is on that label.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Merf

And I agree that FM should ditch Warner/Reprise-- they did NOTHING to support this album. Maybe Interscope would have served them better....
I think the promotion of the album was good. The AOL first listen thing reaches a lot of people. The album sold 800000 copies because that is ca the amount of people that are interested at this moment.
Blame it on today's radio, that only plays certain kind of music. Over this medium they could have raised more interest. But imo it has nothing to do with Interscope or Warners.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have given copies of GOS to some of my friends (who are familiar with FM since they are my friends but aren't real fans) and they LOVE it! Just LOVE it! Even thanked me for giving it to them!

A response I didn't get when I played Stevie's new stuff, let me tell you!

I'm just convinced it would do well.

Take on the situation but not the torment