The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Who doesn't like Fleetwood Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
but the guys I've dated usually already like FM/Stevie to some degree or another.

And who doesn't like Fleetwood Mac?? It's the best band in the whole wide world!!! ha ha!!

Well, my friends love to annoy me, they say they hate the mac, but it's just because I'm a fan and sometimes I play their records, dvds, videos, mp3, etc too much, so they get oversaturated

But actually they like the mac.

And, trying to recall, I have not met anybody who said "I don't like Fleetwood Mac" Do you?

(In fact I know people who doesn't like Beatles, or Madonna, or Elton, Pink Floyd, Queen, Bee Gees or any other mega-band, but never Fleetwood Mac. Is that a sign????
Old 11-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My mom is the same way your friends are. She likes them...but I play the CDs, play the songs on my guitar, watch the DVDs, talk about them too much and just like my other favorite bands she gets sick of them.

As for my friends...I'm 16 so a lot of them are idiots who reply "Who's he?" to a reference of Stevie Nicks. But I've successfully hooked one of my friends.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

My mom says she doesn't like FM, with the qualification that she LOVES GDW...and that The Chain is ok. Go figure.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-18-2004, 06:44 PM

I hate them. They are awful!!

ok no.........

I used to drive my friends nutz, but I have burned out on them which is good. But then I'll come back to them and the songs will be fresh again and I'll end up going thru a huge FM phase. I'll end up playing Then Play on thru In The Meantime. (haven't heard Something Big yet)

Honestly, if I heard them now I don't think I would like them as much as I did at 14. My tastes have changed over the last 15 years. But I was hooked early, so I'm stuck with them!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 11-18-2004 at 08:34 PM..
Old 11-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My parents don't really "get" the Mac - Dad likes Glen Miller and Mom likes Ricky Nelson, among others, lol. They do like Chris' music as a rule though.

My little sister thinks the Mac is OK, but my older sister HATES them, especially Lindsey. I guess I played them one too many times in the car.

The guy I'm dating says he's really into them, but then he said he really liked it when Lindsey sings Leather and Lace, so.... lol. I admit I was disappointed when he said that. I do NOT need to be humored! (Perhaps this is a sign: time to break up!)

My friends all think they're OK, but don't really understand my passion for them. That's why I love places like this where I can gush with those who appreciate the brilliance of the MAC!

Old 11-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation How can you not love FM?!?!

Well, my dad loves Rumours now, thanks to me. My mom loves Don't Stop...a little too much. LOL I let a friend at work listen to my Dance CD one day and she came over to give me back my CD and went "Track 5 (ISA) is amazing! I listened to it a few times."

Hehe! Slowly, I shall convert thee!!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Well...

I never thought I would live to see the day my Mom would own a FM cd, But when I visited last she had "Greatest Hits"...So that's a start.

Btw, My Mom is a rocker (My late Father was a country/western & surf music freak), brought us 3 boys up on The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Beach Boys, etc...I even saw my Mom one time listening to death metal, When made me look to sky and ask "What the f**k is wrong with THAT picture God?"

Brian "The youngest of 3 music collecting/addicted boys" j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
. They do like Chris' music as a rule though.
That's funny - I think it was Chris's radio hits that made my mom not like them! i keep tryna tell her...but she's into alternative country right now...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-19-2004, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Both my parents were pretty cool w/ liking FM. My dad especially has decent taste in music so he would always be willing to listen to them in the car etc. We used to have a house in the Poconos, and on those dreadful drives up, he'd put in my tape of the white album/Rumours and everyone was happy.

My mom was also sort of into them; she actually made some comments that i recall as being pretty cool for a 'mom'-- for example I remember her saying that LB was gorgeous in the Hold Me video (that i used to sit in front of the TV and drool over whenever it came on, which was a lot in 1982...) I also remember once bringing home some FMac book that i had ordered from the Scholastic Club or something, and she was sitting at the kitchen table looking at it and said, "John has very nice legs, he looks adorable in those cut offs." I was like, 'wow mom, you're so right, now give me my book back' LOL. Even recently sometimes she'll surprise me w/ a comment like "Isn't today Lindsey's birthday?" and she'll be right!

I tried back then to get my friends into them but no luck. They thought they were dorks who couldn't compare to the coolness of Duran Duran. At least they knew I loved them, so if they found an article about them etc they'd save it for me--actually my parents and my best friend (since 5th grade) still do that..... When I told this friend that we were having a Q&A with John she said incredulously , "I can't believe how far you've come w/ this band. Did you ever think when we were 13 that you'd be doing this?!" to which I replied 'God bless the internet!'

-Lis
Old 11-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have met two people that said they absolutely can't STAND the Mac. They were teens in the 70's, so maybe instead of loving them like everyone else, it became overload for them? I mean, wasn't Mac everywhere in the 70's?

I still don't understand how that could happen, but oh well, to each his/her own!

Paula
Old 11-19-2004, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is really interesting. The Mac's a very tough band to get into at first -- but once you get just an inkling and then get hooked in, you're totally swept up. I got into FMac when i was a senior in high school when The Dance came out. I picked it up just to be cultural, haha, believe it or not. Then I realized I knew tons of these songs and they all grew on me - songs I never thought twice about had suddenly transformed to huge favorites. Then you realize how often you hear them on the radio and wonder how you ever passed them up. I think the main problem that younger folks have is that group is just too adult contemporary at first. And that's because we tend to hear "Little Lies" and "Gypsy" in the grocery store and dentist office more than we hear them at their best - pure, emotional rock. It's subconscious!

Point is, that when people first hear their songs, they respect them & realize that they're a good band, but won't go and buy a CD. But when they start really learning the history and seeing the variety of the songs (the first time I heard Lindsey's "I'm So Afraid" solo, Stevie/his staredown during Silver Springs after learning the meaning behind it all, Christine play "Songbird", etc.) it's an ocean of details that opens up! Lindsey's artistry, Stevie's lyrics, the band's soap opera - that's why they really are the best band to be a fan of, there's SO MUCH there!

But the thing is, you have to get over that first hurdle. SOMETHING in the band won't work for you. Either you get turned off by Lindsey's quirkiness, Christine's adult contemporary vibe or Stevie's... well, I think to younger people she's kind of a joke. SERIOUSLY I don't want to start any arguments here, but she has a reputation that's a little hard to get by. That's just the way I've seen it with people. If "Stand Back" or "Edge of 17" comes on the radio, most people I know would chuckle. I think you just need to find what part of the band DOES work for you. It's so odd how that worked for me - to find certain things you like, and then everything else you disliked/overlooked suddenly grows on you and solidifies you as even more of a fan. I know I hated Lindsey at the start, but now he's my alltime favorite artist hands down. Funny how that works.

That's just how I see it. Gotta let it grow on you at first and then find the aspect of the band you dig, then suddenly the parts you didn't enjoy totally change. After being a fan for years throughout high school and college, it's really opened up my eyes to music appreciation - and for other people too. Can't say I've gotten anyone to buy all their albums, but there's definitely a lot of people out there who now can happily sing along to "Tusk" or "The Chain" that couldn't before

Doo! Do-do-doo! Do-do-do! Do-do-do-do-do-do-do! Do-do-do! TUSK! Doo-doo-DOO-doo...
Old 11-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
I have met two people that said they absolutely can't STAND the Mac. They were teens in the 70's, so maybe instead of loving them like everyone else, it became overload for them? I mean, wasn't Mac everywhere in the 70's?

I still don't understand how that could happen, but oh well, to each his/her own!

Paula
MAybe they are fans of Led Zeppelin and all those kind of bands. People who like them does not listen soft rock often.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
MAybe they are fans of Led Zeppelin and all those kind of bands. People who like them does not listen soft rock often.
Good point except the one chick was really into The Eagles & Skynyrd

Paula
Old 11-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
And, I'll bet many of the Led Zep fans would've been into the Peter Green or Bob Welch eras of FMac, but not the Rumours incarnation.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, I'll bet many of the Led Zep fans would've been into the Peter Green or Bob Welch eras of FMac, but not the Rumours incarnation.
Yes, now... does the Green mac band is considered from the 70s.. or the 60s? I guess the 60s