User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4life View Post
P.S. it doesn't matter what any of us think or want...this band is full on LEGENDS who have all paid their dues and earned the right to do as they please!!
This is true...if they intend to be a solo artist. Within a band they don't all 5 have the right to do as they each please. Not if they wish to continue as a band. They have to compromise. That's the nature of being in a band.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned

Default Don't all scream at me at once!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I'm sure some people cringe at the thought of Dave being involved with Christine's songs or FM for that matter
Scream at me all you want to... I have been cringing since I heard Christine was returning..... I actually like the "band of 4" and would prefer it stay that way!!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
This is true...if they intend to be a solo artist. Within a band they don't all 5 have the right to do as they each please. Not if they wish to continue as a band. They have to compromise. That's the nature of being in a band.
I don't disagree. But based on what we know (which is very little), it sounds like the band is -- for the first time in years -- trying to find a way to record without things becoming toxic. At this stage, I am beyond thrilled that they're in the studio in some capacity, and am confident that all five Fireflies will be in the studio together in the near future.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom Moncrieff commented in his Q & A on the demos of Stevie's he worked on saying, among other things:

Quote:
Generally, Stevie felt that if we fleshed out the songs (produced them a bit) they would be more comprehensible to FM. Some of Stevie's piano parts were very syncopated, and without a groove (or beat) underneath they were very confusing to some people. For some reason I was never confused by that and understood where her bars and structure was going, and so I was able to play parts that made things clearer to the listener, that being FM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the life of me I can't understand why everyone is on the verge of a stroke over this. Stevie always brings demos to Fleetwood Mac, and she has to enlist a few musicians to get them made. Who was playing on the version of Thrown Down that she brought to the SYW sessions? I can't believe we have jumped to accusations that Stevie won't allow Lindsey on her songs. Mick and John aren't in Nashville....do we think they won't be on her songs either? Why are we using a couple of innocent comments on social media to create drama that may not even exist? Nothing that has happened so far leads me to believe this will be any less of a band album than their previous efforts.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I would have agreed with you in their hey day and even in the nineties, but now it doesn't seem worth it. They want her in the band for touring and if she does that and doesn't want to record with them, I think that's fine. I am happy to let the music press critique the results of that segregated approach to things. I don't think that the outcome (in the eyes of the media) will be all that favorable to Stevie.

The upside is, we get new music. It might not be as much as I'd hoped, in the manner that I wanted, but it's new music that we wouldn't have received otherwise, so I'm pretty happy.

Mick didn't do his column in the Daily Express this week. I would love for him to wrap up his series by giving us some current news on what's going on with FM. If he doesn't, I'm afraid that we'll have to wait for them to start promoting the tour before we hear something and get confirmation -- oh, and read tweets from third parties!

Michele
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
For the life of me I can't understand why everyone is on the verge of a stroke over this. Stevie always brings demos to Fleetwood Mac, and she has to enlist a few musicians to get them made.
I just can't see Dave helping her on her demos. Waddy yes. Even Christine (since the demos would be used by FM), but not Dave. I think he's producing her and I think that's great.

I wouldn't think Lindsey has been excluded, but I'd just as soon he was.

Michele
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
Yeah, I totally agree with you. The Dealer is in that same batch of late 70s/early 80s songs (her creative peak) that would be incredible to hear on an album now. But I bet she'd change the name to "Mistress of My Faith" to downplay a drug reference that media would easily blow out of proportion, "I was a dealer and it wasn't hard."
Yep agreed. And regardless, I've always thought Mistress of My Fate was a more dynamic title that by referencing the chorus and tying with the hook would ultimately be smarter in terms of people remembering the song and hopefully buying it anyway.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I suspect Dave Stewart will end up co-producing the Mac album with Lindsey, including Lindsey's own songs. Lindsey has previously conceded that an outside producer would be appropriate for the next band recording and even touted Dave as a contender at one point. He attempted this approach with Mitchell Froom's involvement in 2012, but it wasn't enough to entice Stevie. It's obvious she wants Dave and seemingly, Christine is on board with that decision, at least in respect of Stevie's tracks.
We need to remember that Dave has already produced Lindsey, when he contributed to the recording of "Soldier's Angel" in late 2010. Lindsey apparently was also present for other periods of the In Your Dreams album sessions so would have some insight into Dave as a person and his approach to record making. By all accounts, Dave is a charming man, capable of disarming just about everyone he encounters and this could be the secret to restoring cohesion within the band, or at least between you know who... That said, none of the band members are fools so ultimately, acceptance or non-acceptance of Dave will come down to his musical attributes and production skills.
Say what you will about Dave, he gets things done and if it had not been for him, I doubt In Your Dreams would have even come to fruition (we'd still be waiting for the follow-up to Trouble In Shangri-La!). His encouragement of Stevie will no doubt galvanise her into action and hopefully he will elicit strong work from the petulant one. I honestly think Dave was behind Stevie's superior vocals on IYD, which were a vast improvement upon her work on the TISL and Say You Will albums.
We must remember that Lindsey is keen for this upcoming album to be made so in the absence of being able to cajole Stevie himself, I imagine he's relieved Dave is in the picture. I am confident these two mature men could work well together, without the clashing of egos. Dave could just turn out to be this band’s secret weapon – let’s wait and see…
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I suspect Dave Stewart will end up co-producing the Mac album with Lindsey, including Lindsey's own songs. Lindsey has previously conceded that an outside producer would be appropriate for the next band recording and even touted Dave as a contender at one point. He attempted this approach with Mitchell Froom's involvement in 2012, but it wasn't enough to entice Stevie. It's obvious she wants Dave and seemingly, Christine is on board with that decision, at least in respect of Stevie's tracks.
We need to remember that Dave has already produced Lindsey, when he contributed to the recording of "Soldier's Angel" in late 2010. Lindsey apparently was also present for other periods of the In Your Dreams album sessions so would have some insight into Dave as a person and his approach to record making. By all accounts, Dave is a charming man, capable of disarming just about everyone he encounters and this could be the secret to restoring cohesion within the band, or at least between you know who... That said, none of the band members are fools so ultimately, acceptance or non-acceptance of Dave will come down to his musical attributes and production skills.
Say what you will about Dave, he gets things done and if it had not been for him, I doubt In Your Dreams would have even come to fruition (we'd still be waiting for the follow-up to Trouble In Shangri-La!). His encouragement of Stevie will no doubt galvanise her into action and hopefully he will elicit strong work from the petulant one. I honestly think Dave was behind Stevie's superior vocals on IYD, which were a vast improvement upon her work on the TISL and Say You Will albums.
We must remember that Lindsey is keen for this upcoming album to be made so in the absence of being able to cajole Stevie himself, I imagine he's relieved Dave is in the picture. I am confident these two mature men could work well together, without the clashing of egos. Dave could just turn out to be this band’s secret weapon – let’s wait and see…
According to Lindsey, his songs are already recorded and were co-produced by Mitchell Froom. They just need to add Stevie and Christine into the mix, I'm assuming. I don't think he needs Dave Stewart's help with that.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Mike I realise that, but I expect some or maybe all of these Mitchell Froom produced tracks might be deconstructed and re-recorded/produced. At the very least, Christine and Stevie need to contribute whatever their respective parts might be and that might necessitate Dave stepping in at some stage. If the likes of "Sad Angel" and "It Takes Time" were to be included on the album, I would very much welcome some "enhancement" of sorts.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
We need to remember that Dave has already produced Lindsey, when he contributed to the recording of "Soldier's Angel" in late 2010.
Well, that was different in that it was Stevie's album alone and Lindsey had no stake in the matter.

I don't think Lindsey will be producing with Dave, but I imagine Lindsey likes Dave well enough. This is fuzzy to me, but remember that time a few years ago when Dave was on a radio show and Lindsey called in? Or was it vice versa? It was after the Platinum Weird hoax, but I don't know if it was related to that.

I don't remember, but I recall being surprised and I longed to hear the radio spot myself, to hear what they said to each other. But I got the impression then that they were on cordial terms.

Michele
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been a Fleetwood Mac fan since 1967 but especially since 1977, when I bought Rumours....
I've only been a Ledgie since beginning of 2013. My point is I have never known a band give out SO little information about themselves.
Other than.....a tour is imminent.
We're left gobbling up morsels of information from in this case Dave Stewart and a photo from a plane!!!!
Still, that's what makes it exciting, hey?
Old 04-23-2014, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4life View Post
Ok...I respect all members of this band...
I do want to point out one thing...
Which member has, by leaps and BOUNDS, had the most successful solo career of these five?
Oh wait....it is the delusional, suck ass, no talent without Lindsey effing Buckingham, chiffon wearing airhead!
Wow..guess she is good for something huh?
Oh yeah..she also wrote the only number one hit FM ever had...
OH YEAH...she is also the only one of the five that has been consistently touring in a solo capacity...
Good God, she is a legend...let us not lose sight of the truth.
P.S. it doesn't matter what any of us think or want...this band is full on LEGENDS who have all paid their dues and earned the right to do as they please!!
Oh, crap. FM had two number one hits in my country:

Oh Well and Go Your own Way.

Succesful solocarreers are something else than what's happening in the band. They are a band. Not combined solocareers.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, that was different in that it was Stevie's album alone and Lindsey had no stake in the matter.

I don't think Lindsey will be producing with Dave, but I imagine Lindsey likes Dave well enough. This is fuzzy to me, but remember that time a few years ago when Dave was on a radio show and Lindsey called in? Or was it vice versa? It was after the Platinum Weird hoax, but I don't know if it was related to that.

I don't remember, but I recall being surprised and I longed to hear the radio spot myself, to hear what they said to each other. But I got the impression then that they were on cordial terms.

Michele
Rockline - 27th August 2008

Dave Stewart joined us last week and, of course, Dave did several albums with Annie Lennox of Eurythmics fame and, um, they had their own situation. So here's the question he left for Lindsey.

D: Hi Lindsey. This is Dave Stewart from Eurythmics and I think we've both shared a similar experience. How is it for you being with somebody and living with somebody who you were in love with and then breaking up and then still being in a band together?

You do have a common experience. *laughs*

L: Oh yeaaaah. *clears throat* Well, you know, that was, uh, a, it was something that defined not only, uh, Fleetwood Mac as a band and to some degree the appeal - You know, that you had these two couples who were breaking up and were somehow rising above that to do what had to be done. But it, you know, on a personal level it was difficult for a number of years because there were never really any time to get closure. Um, you, this person that was, that had moved away from you and that, from whom you had moved away from, was someone you saw every day, and someone you had to try and find your better self on a daily basis for, in terms of producing and - this is similar to Dave's situation too - and to do the right thing for her as opposed to maybe, uh, a more selfish or petty thing. Um, and all of that, I think, left, uh, a certain amount of residue emotionally for a number of years. Uh, I think what happened, uh, was that I tended to focus very heavily on the music, uh, and the rest of my life was kind of closed off and, and it was a fairly narrow focused, you know, existence which was focused only on the music. And it was really only when I was, uh, given the gift of meeting my wife and having children that all of that started to unfold and the walls started to come down. So it was a long road, you know, sort of moving on from some of that. It was not easy.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"