Songs From The Small Machine Live in LA (2011) 8 32.00%
One Man Show (2012) 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I was actually going to suggest that

I don't expect it to make you do a 180 on your opinion but, after reading your review, I actually went and listened to the whole thing again too, and I just don't hear what you're hearing. It's a no-frills recording so as they say, it is what it is as far as production goes. I don't care for the way the crowd sounds ( like they're in another room), but I don't hear a whole lot to take issue with in his performance. Especially with regards to BTLH being a hot mess
It's seems to me like it's a pretty tough song to sing (and play) live, so I'm always just impressed when he gets through it. But, in this case, I think it's darn near perfect. Not because I love the song, or don't see any fault with Lindsey. I just think compared to other bootleg audios and videos where he does it, this one stands out to me as being really very good. It's in tune, his singing is good, the playing is great. In fact, the only song that stood out to me as having a tuning problem was Stephanie! I heard him play it plenty of times, and there are definitely a couple of off strums on this recording It actually struck me the first time I heard it when I was flying home the day after the Washburn show. I had to play it back because it was so odd sounding to me. Like I said, the Fort Worth is the best version of Stephanie. But BTLH I've never heard better, solo.

Just a few things I have to mention that I respectfully disagree with you on here.

1) I completelt disagree with you about the flubs. There just ARENT any outright flubs. A missed note or two sure but that's one of the things I love about the completely solo shows! He puts himself out there, just him so every little thing is there crystal clear. Who else does that?? He's not afraid to bare it all ya know? All alone, every note he plays and sings is on full display and damn. It's impressive. And if he misses the occasional note, I find it kind of endearing. He's human, and I like that it shows sometimes.

Just out of curiosity, since you like Soundstage (as I do as well), does his "flub" at the end of NGBA bother you also He did more than one take on some of those songs, so he could have re-done that one...or edited it later. But he didn't. He let it ride, and I'm glad he did, for the same reasons as with BTLH. I don't need - or want - a live recording to be perfect. But that's me.

2) I always find it odd when people complain about audience noise on a live recording ( and I don't mean just you, CAD. I hear it now and then). To me that's part of the charm of a live recording. Feeling like you're actually there!

3) Be honest, you have to admit, finding fault in him not talking about the south in a show in Iowa isn't really very fair. That would be like me not liking Live in Boston because he thanks the Boston audience rather than the Seattle audience
Absolutely - I can't say it any better so I won't!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Wow - I don't think his voice is better than SYW - but I didn't get to see any live shows. I really think he was at his peak - both vocally & musically during the SYW/UTS/GOS years.
i used to think he was at his peak with GOS1 material too - which i guess he really recorded in the second half of 90s and early 2000s. i didn't think much of most non-GOS1 songs on these 3 albums so i guess i'd put the peak on that period a bit earlier than you would (~1996-2001 vs 2001-2008).

but then he recorded SWS and i was shocked how fresh and great those songs sounded. and i heard him live at Saban... and at all those other shows in the last 2 years. and he did a huge tour completely alone. and wrote and recorded all these other new songs we have yet to hear (so i'll reserve my judgement there). but he's recording, touring, and releasing stuff at a breakneck speed and seems happy while doing it. so imo, he's definitely at least at as much of a peak now as he was in the late 90s when he recorded GOS1. which makes this great time to be a LB fan!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bass Hall is the best produced. And the sequencing is superb. And the sound of CAD and SUD live! WOOOW!!!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some of my opinion of the audio of OMS may be based on desk speakers I am listening through. I'll have to try it in my car or home stereo to see if the sound quality changes.

You asked me why I felt it was a disappointment to me and I gave you the details. It's not important enough to me to debate with you on it.

I do want to point out that as a singer and a guitarist, I do hear the flubs and when something is out of tune. There is one song - can't remember which one - where it was so obvious I cringed. And, I think Lindsey has gotten a little more lax in his "perfectionism" in his senior years, especially when it comes to his solo work.

I don't think it's worth my time just to have you debate every point with me. I appreciate Elle's attempt to converse on it though.

Elle, I would like to throw this out there from your comments -- I think what you call Lindsey's "thin" voice in his younger days is actually his higher register. As a person ages, their voice tends to "thin" in singing. It's inevitable -- it's rare that an older person can maintain a true fullness in their voice in their 60's+. That's not to say that Lindsey isn't able to have moments where his voice is full -- he does. And, I think probably even more now -- my guess is that he has used techniques he picked up from vocal coaching that they didn't really have as much in the old days, much like Stevie has done. But, there are still a lot more instances now (that are just purely due to his age) where his voice gets thin. It's not horrible, I just hear it and when I listen to young Lindsey back to back with now Lindsey -- it's obvious.
Wasn't trying to debate, just trying to discuss. I thought that was the point of message boards?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
It's a no-frills recording so as they say, it is what it is as far as production goes. I don't care for the way the crowd sounds ( like they're in another room),
Has a "tinny" sound to it. Like I said, it normally doesn't bother me in live recordings. In fact, I have so many live recordings that I play in the car a lot of my friends cannot stand it and I love concerts so much, it's never bothered me like this one does. Again, could be the speakers... will def take a listen on a different system.

Quote:
But BTLH I've never heard better, solo
I have a pretty "photographic memory" ear. So, when I'm listening to songs that I've heard before, I'm subconsciously listening for all those little notes and nuances that make the song stand out to me. Ok, so that being said, if anything is different, I hear it -- could be good, could be bad. In this case, if you were to play The Dance and Say You Will versions and then this one, you may be able to hear what I dislike about the OMS version. If not, then I'm glad you enjoy this one.

Quote:

1) I completelt disagree with you about the flubs. There just ARENT any outright flubs. A missed note or two sure but that's one of the things I love about the completely solo shows! He puts himself out there, just him so every little thing is there crystal clear. Who else does that?? He's not afraid to bare it all ya know? All alone, every note he plays and sings is on full display and damn. It's impressive. And if he misses the occasional note, I find it kind of endearing. He's human, and I like that it shows sometimes.
Um, missed notes are flubs. Not saying that I think he should be super human and not miss a note in a live show. Just saying there are a lot more in this recording and it didn't make my listening experience as enjoyable as other recordings.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, since you like Soundstage (as I do as well), does his "flub" at the end of NGBA bother you also He did more than one take on some of those songs, so he could have re-done that one...or edited it later. But he didn't. He let it ride, and I'm glad he did, for the same reasons as with BTLH. I don't need - or want - a live recording to be perfect. But that's me.
Yeah, again, I don't expect a live recording to be perfect -- just not as flawed as this one was.

Quote:
2) I always find it odd when people complain about audience noise on a live recording ( and I don't mean just you, CAD. I hear it now and then). To me that's part of the charm of a live recording. Feeling like you're actually there!
See above. I've explained all this good enough, haven't I?

Quote:
3) Be honest, you have to admit, finding fault in him not talking about the south in a show in Iowa isn't really very fair. That would be like me not liking Live in Boston because he thanks the Boston audience rather than the Seattle audience
I think I pointed out in my original post that I realized the Southern speech wasn't included in the recording because he wasn't in the South. I was just making a personal commentary on how I wish it was in this release and that maybe it would have been better to use a show from the South so that it could have been properly included (also maybe the recording would have been better?) I just thought it would have been nice since he had included "Stephanie" and how that speech worked into the show. I get that it would have been unfair to have a regional statement in a national / international release - although I'm sure many other artists have done it. Give me a little credit for not being stupid.

Last edited by CADreaming; 01-12-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Has a "tinny" sound to it. Like I said, it normally doesn't bother me in live recordings. In fact, I have so many live recordings that I play in the car a lot of my friends cannot stand it and I love concerts so much, it's never bothered me like this one does. Again, could be the speakers... will def take a listen on a different system.
I don't think it's your speakers. In fact, better speakers may compound the problem. I think it has everything to do with placement. I asked myself, is the crowd coming from in front of or in back of the music source? That will make a difference as to how prominent it is in the mix, but it's better in some songs than in others.

But I suppose it's like bootleg recordings, it depends on where the recorder is stationed as to how annoying the background noise is going to be -- and of course on whether noise is coming from people in the recorder's general vicinity or not.

At any rate, it's your opinion and there's no right or wrong when it comes to that.

I know what you mean about other people kvetching. My friends used to have no patience with my snowy videos. I didn't care how bad the image was, I would still look at a video and they were not interested in straining to see a picture. These days I don't look myself because it's mostly on VHS and although I have 3 VHS recorders in my closet, I don't have them hooked up. Plus, tv screens are so huge now that videos that were bad in the first place are horrible now. So, I don't bother with them much.

Michele
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't think it's your speakers. In fact, better speakers may compound the problem. I think it has everything to do with placement. I asked myself, is the crowd coming from in front of or in back of the music source? That will make a difference as to how prominent it is in the mix, but it's better in some songs than in others.

But I suppose it's like bootleg recordings, it depends on where the recorder is stationed as to how annoying the background noise is going to be -- and of course on whether noise is coming from people in the recorder's general vicinity or not.

At any rate, it's your opinion and there's no right or wrong when it comes to that.
Yeah, I mean if it doesn't bother people on this recording then that's cool. I just hear this particular noise crowd differently than others, and whatever that difference is - bugs me. I think some of the fans here may be coloring their personal experience with favoring the recording though. In retrospect, I may have also done that with saying I favorited Soundstage over Bass Hall, at least from an audio perspective, I would probably agree with TrueFaith77, but Soundstage is just a beautiful visual -- plus Stevie ...

Quote:
I know what you mean about other people kvetching. My friends used to have no patience with my snowy videos. I didn't care how bad the image was, I would still look at a video and they were not interested in straining to see a picture. These days I don't look myself because it's mostly on VHS and although I have 3 VHS recorders in my closet, I don't have them hooked up. Plus, tv screens are so huge now that videos that were bad in the first place are horrible now. So, I don't bother with them much.

Michele
I was just discussing a similar topic with a friend earlier. Technology has gained so much on me and I really miss archiving shows like I did with VCR tapes! If only I had the time to transfer everything to digital. I do still have VCR's set up though and one is a dvd recorder / vcr... but the time, the time...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^I have three DVD recorders and I do make that promise to transfer to myself too. Before I moved I transferred about 30 hours, but that was 30 out of, probably 3000. I still have a Betamax recorder too.

Luckiky, the Mirage show is on DVD and I will look at that when I get home, because I have some Lindsey and Christine work to do.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^I have three DVD recorders and I do make that promise to transfer to myself too. Before I moved I transferred about 30 hours, but that was 30 out of, probably 3000. I still have a Betamax recorder too.

Luckiky, the Mirage show is on DVD and I will look at that when I get home, because I have some Lindsey and Christine work to do.
LOL! I still need to get the Mirage DVD. Beatmax?! Wow!!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

yeah i wanted to watch that last night but was too tired and it was too late and i never have a chunk of time during the day.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL! I still need to get the Mirage DVD. Beatmax?! Wow!!
Yeah, the place where outdated devices go to die.

The thing is, the new televisions don't even have connections for these things anymore. I had to go on Ebay and spend $50 to get a composite to HDMI converter, just to hook up an older tivo.

It's a funny thing how Lindsey is not on the cover of the Mirage DVD with the rest of the band and he is on the cover of the Tango dvd (which just made me more upset than I already was about Cage). Although, maybe the confusing covers can be attributed to the fact that I have my copies of these concerts from Brazil and I don't think they are quite legit, despite the fact that I purchased them on Amazon.

Michele
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a funny thing how Lindsey is not on the cover of the Mirage DVD with the rest of the band and he is on the cover of the Tango dvd (which just made me more upset than I already was about Cage). Although, maybe the confusing covers can be attributed to the fact that I have my copies of these concerts from Brazil and I don't think they are quite legit, despite the fact that I purchased them on Amazon.
yeah we all do, although i'm pretty sure i got mine on ebay. there is no legit US release but this seems legit south american and it's a great clean video, even though wrong people are on the front cover.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, the place where outdated devices go to die.
Oh, wow, Michele. That's a true hot mess. Well, at least they're all in one place...I think mine are spread out. And you don't want to see my "hey, I might need that cable one day" box...

Quote:
I have my copies of these concerts from Brazil and I don't think they are quite legit, despite the fact that I purchased them on Amazon.

Michele
Now that you mention it, that's why I never purchased that DVD. I wondered about the quality, being from Brazil. What's your opinion?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Now that you mention it, that's why I never purchased that DVD. I wondered about the quality, being from Brazil. What's your opinion?
Video quality is excellent, even blown up. Audio is stereo.

Michele
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Video quality is excellent, even blown up. Audio is stereo.

Michele
Awesome, thanks!