User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Ledgie

Default New Mayall Album

Hello to all,

There is a new(ish) listing on Amazon for a Mayall Album titled: "Private Collection" (Live). The Set List includes the Stumble. Does anyone have this? If so, can you tell me if it's Peter on guitar, and if so, if it's different to the Live Track from the "Essentially John Mayall" CD Album?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Don
Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Ledgie

Hi, it seems to be a reissue ... Rolling with the Blues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mayall
Old 03-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I didn't notice the "Essentially John Mayall" release last year - and I hadn't heard about the live Bluesbreakers tracks with Peter Green. How are those two tracks?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Ledgie

The review in Amazon de by a certain Bernd

http://www.amazon.de/Rolling-Blues-S...4719237&sr=8-2

"Ich habe die Frankfurter Aufnahmen selbst gemacht, freue mich und bin ein wenig stolz darauf, das John Mayall dsiese offizell freigegeben hat.1 CD
4 x 2.5.72 und 8 x 17.5.73 Jahrhunderthalle Höchst / Frankfurt.
2 CD 10 x verschieden Konzerte USA und Italien."

"I've done the recordings from Frankfurt by myself and I'm proud that JM used them for an official release, 4 songs are from Frankfurt 2nd of May1972, 8 from 17th of May 1973 at the Jahrhunderthalle at Höchst (a quarter in the west of Frankfurt). Recordings on disc 2 are from USA and Italy."

No PG on this

So that's why this is a PRIVATE collection
Old 03-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Ledgie

Thanks for the information. I needed to know if Peter was there, before committing to purchase.

Regarding the "Essentially John Mayall" Box: I like both of Peter's Live contributions. Both are extended versions of the songs. His playing might be considered a little unpolished from what we are used to hearing, and the sound quality of the recordings are a bit muddy, but it is great to hear him live from that era. I'm sure Mayall has entire concerts in his archive, so it's a little dissapointing that he only released 2 of Peter's songs. Perhaps it is a marketing strategy and we will buy another box set to hear one or two more.

Cheers, Don
Old 03-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Ledgie

I remember reading someplace that Mayall had a fire in his home a number years ago that destroyed everything, including a very large collection of concerts that he had kept there.... You can only imagine what treasures were lost.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Olson View Post
I remember reading someplace that Mayall had a fire in his home a number years ago that destroyed everything, including a very large collection of concerts that he had kept there.... You can only imagine what treasures were lost.
It is mentioned in Hjort's book as well. It was in 1979 in LA. Mayall lost most of his possessions that he kept there, diaries, notebooks, tapes, records ...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:44 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default John Mayall's recording technique

Also mentioned in Strange Brew is the way John Mayall recorded in both live and studio situations. In the former, he had a little tape recorder on top of his Hammond organ and he used to record all gigs. In the studio he was very "efficient" in the sense that he did few takes and often made up the songs on the spot.

By the way, I have now finished Strange Brew and it is a very interesting account of the period and you really get the feel for how a working band operated in that scene. Nothing new about Peter Green though.

best wishes
bill