User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I don't know what your PE classes were like, but all of the classes I was in weren't like that. No one wanted to change in the bathrooms because they were embarrassed, everoyne smelled of body odor because they were going through puberty (which resulted in our teacher actually handing out nose plugs at one time!!!!!!), the plus sized children cried throughout the whole class, no one wanted to do anything in front of the other kids; the whole class was torture for everyone involved.
Good lord...I'm glad I didn't go to your high school...lol

Pretty much everyone always participated. Gym wasn't really a difficult class. In fact, gym didn't count against anyone making honor roll or principals list so that tells you something right there. All they asked from us was to participate...it didn't matter if you were horrible or not so no one really had a problem.

Our locker room was huge though so you weren't really ontop of each other or anything like that. The only issue happening in there was cockroach infestation which would send us all screaming and jumping ontop of the the long seat in each set of lockers. Oh, and the time Rachel bashed Ali's head into a locker because she called her a bitch I will never forget that...lol
Old 02-13-2004, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know what your PE classes were like, but all of the classes I was in weren't like that. No one wanted to change in the bathrooms because they were embarrassed, everoyne smelled of body odor because they were going through puberty (which resulted in our teacher actually handing out nose plugs at one time!!!!!!), the plus sized children cried throughout the whole class, no one wanted to do anything in front of the other kids; the whole class was torture for everyone involved.
Well there's that

Seriously, I know gym class is hard for some. It was for me a little bit because although my prose and particularly my political arguments are eloquent , my movements are far from graceful and lithe, esp. then

But, I think that is why the teacher matters so much. I mean I have seen people embarrassed to the point of tears in Math To me - high school should be all about teaching as many different thigs as possible and studies do show that socialization is taught in PE. I do agree however, that if the schools cannot teach the basics and teach PE - then PE should go

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Well there's that

Seriously, I know gym class is hard for some. It was for me a little bit because although my prose and particularly my political arguments are eloquent , my movements are far from graceful and lithe, esp. then

I'm as graceful as a tulip in the wind...

Old 02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
Good lord...I'm glad I didn't go to your high school...lol
One of my gym teachers, who also taught sex ed, was named Tina Clapp. If Harry Sacks cracks you up, you would've loved having MY gym class.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One of my gym teachers, who also taught sex ed, was named Tina Clapp. If Harry Sacks cracks you up, you would've loved having MY gym class.
OMG ROTFLMAO

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My gym teacher was my friends mom who also taught drivers ed. She jumped ontop of a desk and told us that if we're not careful, we'd all die. Yea, that made me want to run out and get my permit. Then her sister also taught gym and sex ed. I swear to you, this woman was asexual...and she was also crazy. There was also Miss Lodge who was in her 40s, dressed like she was in the 80s and wore a bean sprout pony tail on top of her head. Then there was the teacher who was also the football coach that had a glass eye...lol...but no, you're right...none were named Tina Clapp...had they been? I would have laughed a lot.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My gym teacher was my friends mom who also taught drivers ed. She jumped ontop of a desk and told us that if we're not careful, we'd all die. Yea, that made me want to run out and get my permit. Then her sister also taught gym and sex ed. I swear to you, this woman was asexual...and she was also crazy. There was also Miss Lodge who was in her 40s, dressed like she was in the 80s and wore a bean sprout pony tail on top of her head. Then there was the teacher who was also the football coach that had a glass eye...lol...but no, you're right...none were named Tina Clapp...had they been? I would have laughed a lot.

Mrs. Clapp was OVERSEXED. That's all she thought about, I swear. There was one class where she was discussing female condoms and went into this diatribe about how they were uncomfortable for girls...Then one time she started class off by saying "Protect yourselves! Germs love warm areas! They'd love a nice warm crotch."

A woman named Clapp teaching about not getting it...priceless.

Old 02-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am totally pro-homework. Even though I usually lose 2 hours a night, homework is absolutely essential. I don't know where we would be without it.

Shamus
Old 02-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely think there should be some homework. As the old saying says, "Practice makes perfect." You have to practice a skill that you have learned at school in order to remember it. Although I don't think that there should be hours of homework sent home at any age. A little practice will go a long way!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 02-14-2004, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think it is the schools job to maintain their students healthy weight. The parents need to take the responsibility for it, but they never will because parents suck these days and let their kids do whatever. If they didn't feed their kids fast food and cholesterol milkshakes every day, and let them lounge about playing Playstation, we wouldn't have such problems. Eat healthy and exercise daily, that's the key. And if all else fails, get a band around your tummy.
I agree that too much is being unfairly put on the schools, but I don't see that changing soon, but if the schools don't try to do something to improve kids' health when the parents are what you described, who will?

- Jake
Old 02-14-2004, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow.

- Jake
Old 02-14-2004, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Violet
I'm pro-homework to an extent. My preschooler gets homework once a week. Just practicing writing one letter a week and finding 4 pictures in magazines that start with that letter and gluing it in the book. Easy enough. But my neighbor's son is in kindergarten, and he has homework EVERY night. His school does only offer half a day of kindergarten, so maybe that's partly the reason for so much homework. I think kindergarten should be all day. My daughter will be going to an all-day kindgarten at a private school next year, and I'm sure she'll be getting her fair share of homework.
But 3-4 hours of homework a night for older kids hardly allows time for extra-curricular activities, which I feel are an important part of a child's life.

BTW, Jake & Marissa, you guys crack me up with your back-and-forth bantering!

Carol
Half-day K classes are pretty common, and I don't think the schedule is the reason the teacher assigns the homework. More likely the school feels homework reenforces lessons, and folks want kids (and parents) to get in the habit of completing homework from an early age.

I have to say that what gets me are the difficult math problems older kids are supposed to solve at home these days, often with nobody to help. I'm a big believer that homework shouldn't require help from adults, but some of those problems are more appropriate for classwork IMO in that they're more risk than practice, and there's often nobody to help them through the frustrating experience of trying to work through the solution.

- Jake
Old 02-14-2004, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan8472
I forgot to mention before that my current Phys. Ed. teacher weighs 300+ pounds. Talk about ironic...and pathetic.
I had a PE teacher, too, and I think the weight matters less than you might realize right now. A good teacher is a good teacher, and a fat person can get the message across to be fit as well as anybody.
Hopefully he's not chomping on a cigar in class, though?

- Jake
Old 02-14-2004, 03:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hated square dancing units, and we Yankees were sure laughable pretending to attempt it, IMO.

I think aerobics is a perfectly acceptable option for PE credit. Last year I started a strength club at school, and this year I have a co-sponsor whose addition adds more options. Kids can choose between the weight room, basketball, yoga, or a combination. This club is in addition to PE classes, of course.

- Jake
Old 02-14-2004, 03:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, and the time Rachel bashed Ali's head into a locker because she called her a bitch I will never forget that...lol
I missed that episode of Friends.

- Jake