Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Clinton had every right to lie- it was no ones business who he slept with.
Except perhaps his wife, and hmm... maybe, just maybe, all the taxpayers who were paying for the office in which he was getting serviced.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Clinton had every right to lie- it was no ones business who he slept with.
In a vacuum this is true. However, when a man of power sleeps with a woman in his employee and then gives her a job, that is wrong. That brings it into the public eye, esp. when our tax dollars are providing her with this new job, which she is getting because she, inter alia, fellated the Pres. of the U.S. not because she interviewed for it etc. Moreover, nothing gives anyone, much less the Pres. of the U.S., the right to lie under oath no matter whether they should have been asked. Moreover, he sent his cabinet out to perpetuate his lie and he kept foreign heads of state waiting while he was having sex on U.S. Fed. Govt. property.

Personally, I cannot for the life of me figure out why the feminists did not take BC to task for this. If a Republican had done it, they would have gone for the throat even if, as here, both parties were consenting adults.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 01-30-2004 at 04:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And why would I get drafted? Are we going to war or something? And since I don't beleive in violence, do "they" really have the right to force me to fight

Sorry to inform you, but we ARE at war right now in Iraq. Soldiers are dying every day.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by secondhandchain
And why would I get drafted? Are we going to war or something? And since I don't beleive in violence, do "they" really have the right to force me to fight

Sorry to inform you, but we ARE at war right now in Iraq. Soldiers are dying every day.
If the draft was reinstated, you'd be drafted because we "need" more people in Iraq to fight for the oil. The White House has been saying all along that we need more troops. Although, I do love how Shrub mumbled off a list of nations that have contributed troops. Ha. All of their contributions probably make up less than a thousand soldiers.

And, yes, they can force you to go *or* work in a low-level job in Iraq. Maybe being a cook or a gun cleaner. But you'd still be in danger.

And Shrub would disagree about being at war. We're simply "spreading Democracy."

Oh, I can't wait until that bastard is gone. If he gets re-elected, I will shed some tears.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just because FWM played for Bill Clinton does not mean Stevie voted for him or supported him. When the prez asks you to play, it's considered an honor, whether you voted for him or not. It's also great publicity.

When she was on David Letterman during Street Angel (I think it was then) and he asked her about Clinton, she seemed to not want to say too much, but it sounded like she did not vote for him or support him. She was tight-lipped but said she thought he was too young to run a whole country, and then made a joke about Al Gore and all his many kids. She is just polite in not pushing her views onto others, especially her fans. She doesn't feel it's her place to bash someone in public, nor promote them. Geez, even her statement when she came out of the premiere for that Robin Hood movie many years ago, she said something like - 'it's not my place to say, it was not my movie.' And I appreciate stars who do not try and push their fans into their own views of things. I have always admired Stevie a lot because of that.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:53 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Rock the vote

It is everyone's right to vote. And it's nice to see that everyone is at least GOING to vote. There's nothing I hate more than to see someone who is 18 and won't vote. At any rate, I always vote for the lesser of the Two Evils. I don't like Kerry at all. I'm voting for Bush...again.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghosty
She doesn't feel it's her place to bash someone in public, nor promote them.
Unless it's Prince.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghosty
She is just polite in not pushing her views onto others, especially her fans. She doesn't feel it's her place to bash someone in public, nor promote them.
Gee, you're going to have to explain to me how dodging a question about how you feel about the president constitutes a polite refusal to push your views on others. If someone asks me what do you think of Bush and I answer that in my humble opinion, he is the biggest moron to ever occupy the White House, how is that pushing my view on others? I was asked a question and I answered.

Take it from someone who used to ask questions for a living: It's far more polite to answer the question than to dodge it. And I'm not knocking Stevie. She can answer or not answer whatever she wants. But let's not take our interpretations of it so far.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Rock the vote

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittledemon
I always vote for the lesser of the Two Evils. I don't like Kerry at all. I'm voting for Bush...again.
I'll start by saying that voting for the lesser of two evils is a low standard indeed. That is not necessarily your fault.

But interpreting that to mean that Dubya is the lesser of two evils surely is. The man got us into an illegal war in which upwards of 10,000 have died. He's rolled back just about every environmental protection he could think of and pushed through Congress a Medicare bill that was a shameful corruption of what it was intended to be, and the result of which will be senior citizens paying more for medication while drug companies make more money. And there's so much more, but those are three particularly odious events. Lesser of two evils? Time to wake up.
Old 02-02-2004, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Rock the vote

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittledemon
It is everyone's right to vote. And it's nice to see that everyone is at least GOING to vote. There's nothing I hate more than to see someone who is 18 and won't vote. At any rate, I always vote for the lesser of the Two Evils. I don't like Kerry at all. I'm voting for Bush...again.
Bush is the lesser of two evils? That's fine if you don't like Kerry, but look at the candidates and their qualifications and views.

There is hope for you yet!

Old 02-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Rock the vote

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I'll start by saying that voting for the lesser of two evils is a low standard indeed. That is not necessarily your fault.

But interpreting that to mean that Dubya is the lesser of two evils surely is. The man got us into an illegal war in which upwards of 10,000 have died. He's rolled back just about every environmental protection he could think of and pushed through Congress a Medicare bill that was a shameful corruption of what it was intended to be, and the result of which will be senior citizens paying more for medication while drug companies make more money. And there's so much more, but those are three particularly odious events. Lesser of two evils? Time to wake up.
C'mon, that list could be quite bigger, dude.

Old 02-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I for one also think people exaggerate things about the President.

From what I understand the President believes that everyone should be able to choose a health care plan that meets their needs at a price they can afford. By allowing patients the choice of doctors, and hospitals seniors will be able to get even better care.

There is a huge problem in health care dealing with cancer. Under the Presiden'ts health care plan it would provide full coverage for disease prevention such as screenings for cancer, diabetes and osteoporosis

For people to say he is ruining Medicare, I just think that's bull. The President has committed up to $400 billion over the next ten years in his FY 2004 budget to pay for modernizing and improving Medicare.

This plan would give all Medicare beneficiaries access to prescription drug coverage that lets seniors get the medicines they need, without the government dictating their drug choices. Choice of an individual health care plan that best fits their needs just like Members of Congress and other federal employees enjoy today. The plan will make sure that low-income seniors receive additional financial assistance so they will not have to pay more to receive better benefits than they currently do under Medicare.

So what people keep saying about this medicare thing makes no sense to me..

Democrats call this a republican war...well the great words of Bill Clinton ring in my head , as he talked to the country about striking Iraq.

"Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons programs, and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors. "
"Their purpose is to protect the national interest of the United States"
"But once more the United States has proven that although we are never eager to use force, when we must act in America's vital interests we will do so."

hmmm

Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also...Clinton (who I think was a great president) during a visit to Portugal in October told Portuguese Prime Minister Jose Manuel Durao Barroso that he was convinced Iraq had the WMD up until the fall of Saddam Hussein. Clinton said given his years in the White House and the access to privileged information which he had, he believed that......Will democrats believe Clinton?

Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm never entirely sure why a past president's opinion is considered important in regards to what a current president is doing.

Sure, Clinton might have believed... as recently as this past October... that Iraq did have WMDs, but he isn't the one who made the decision to send our young men and women off to war.

And I'm sure he was basing his opinion on information he may have had at the time of his presidency... but the fact of the matter is, it's been four years since he was in the White House, and things change.

Since the time Clinton left the White House, U.N. inspectors couldn't find any evidence of WMDs in Iraq, after months of searching... and several other sources point to the fact that no one knew positively that Iraq was still in posession of WMDs.
And yet, we still went off to war... and our government still considered the idea that Iraq might "possibly" have WMDs important enough to re-focus their war efforts towards Saddam Hussein, when their main focus should have always been Osama Bin Laden.

Based on intelligence reports, Hussein was not a present, credible threat to the safety of this country, and yet our government insisted he was.

If they wanted to take him down eventually, so be it... but the "evidence" they presented to this country in order to justify this war, was, at best, unsubstantiated, and, at worst, an outright lie.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ShangriLaTroubl
For people to say he is ruining Medicare, I just think that's bull. The President has committed up to $400 billion over the next ten years in his FY 2004 budget to pay for modernizing and improving Medicare.
Evidently you missed the reports last week that the bill is going to end up costing something like 30 percent more than what the administration said it would before it passed. Oh darn, just another little minor detail they got wrong. Hmmm....kinda like the nuclear cake that was coming out of Africa and those huge stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, right? All unintentional little mistakes, of course.

Quote:
This plan would give all Medicare beneficiaries access to prescription drug coverage that lets seniors get the medicines they need, without the government dictating their drug choices. Choice of an individual health care plan that best fits their needs just like Members of Congress and other federal employees enjoy today.

I guess there are people out there ready to believe anything. Make no mistake. This bill is going to cost seniors millions and millions of dollars and is going to make it tougher for all of us to get decent health care. As it is, I'm already paying more for health insurance than I was just a year ago. Ask anyone around you. They'll probably say the same thing. And it's going to get worse.

Quote:
So what people keep saying about this medicare thing makes no sense to me..
Of course not. Because you've bought the bull****.

And frankly, I don't care what Clinton said or didn't say about Iraq. The fact is there were no WMD in Iraq and Saddam was no threat to us. That should have been the end of the story.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 02-02-2004 at 04:28 PM..