Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind

And the funny thing is I do not disagree with alot of these reasons when put into context of the times, etc.

But, don't you think Bush I made a deal/understanding on some level for financial gain? I mean, the Saudi's were the main reason we did not go into Iraq then. Then all of a sudden Bush I is making millions in bed with the Saudis two years later.
Well, Bush I and the Bin Ladens were together in the Carlyle Group along with Prince Bandar for a looong time. The did other business on the side as well. So i think he certainly was protecting certain interests. His own.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Well, Bush I and the Bin Ladens were together in the Carlyle Group along with Prince Bandar for a looong time. The did other business on the side as well. So i think he certainly was protecting certain interests. His own.
Was Bush I in the CG prior to the 1980 election, after which he could not be in it as the VP? Note: I am too lazy to look it up

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 02-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Was Bush I in the CG prior to the 1980 election, after which he could not be in it as the VP? Note: I am too lazy to look it up
No. George I was brought on after his term ended. CG was established in 1987 with Jim Baker being one of the founding members. Bush II was doing business with them even sooner. A lot of their business partners are members of the Saudi Arabian royal family. Check this out:

http://www.redherring.com/Article.as...ml&hed=Carlyle's%20way

"Perhaps even more disconcerting than Carlyle's ties to the Pentagon are its connections within the White House itself. Aside from signing up George Bush Sr. shortly after his presidential term ended, Carlyle gave George W. Bush a job on the board of Texas-based airline food caterer Caterair International back in 1991.
Shortly after George W. Bush was sworn in as president, he broke off talks with North Korea regarding long-range ballistic missiles, claiming there was no way to ensure North Korea would comply with any guidelines that were developed. The news came as a shock to South Korean officials, who had spent years negotiating with the North, assisted by the Clinton administration. By June, Mr. Bush had reopened negotiations with North Korea, but only at the urging of his own father. According to reports, the former president sent his son a memo persuasively arguing the need to work with the North Korean government. It was the first time the nation had seen the influence of the father on the son in office.

But what has been overlooked was Carlyle's business interest in Korea. The senior Bush had spearheaded the group's successful entrance into the South Korean market, paving the way for buyouts of Korea's KorAm Bank and Mercury, a telecommunications equipment company. For the business to be successful, stability between North and South Korea is critical. And though there is no direct evidence linking the senior Bush's business dealings in Korea with the change in policy, it is the appearance of impropriety that excites the watchdogs. "We are clearly aware that former President Bush has weighed in on policy toward South Korea and we note that U.S. policy changed after those communications," says Peter Eisner, managing director at the Center for Public Integrity, a watchdog group in Washington, D.C., which has an active file on the Carlyle Group. "We know that former President Bush receives remuneration for his work with Carlyle and that he is capable of advising the current president, but how much further it goes, we don't know."