User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I agree. Her voice does sound pretty good. But that reverb added that dramatic feel.
I think this will be another bare bones piano piece, but with background vocals with the girls or with herself, I guessing the strings will appear on "She Loves Him Still" in place of the programmed synth strings on the RAL outtake. I can also see some light strings on If You Were My Love.

I was hoping for more subtle atmosphere to elevate the demo, which I know is a fan favorite, but it's never been at the top of my list, so I was hoping for some augmented arrangement with some strings, tight background, something a little more, just subtle. But guessing from this clip, sounds as if they have (once again) followed the demo verbatim. For me, this is my least favorite clip. No wonder this record was recorded in record time. They only had to arrange about 3-4 songs entirely.
You've talked yourself into disappointment; dismissing this song and the album based on a snippet? You should take a breath and let your judgement/expectations stand until you hear the entire album. In a few days, weeks, months, and years, your perspective can change.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, to be fair, nobody will be able to fully critique the album until we hear all the songs and album as a whole. So basing any opinion on just a 15 secound clip is just guess work, and anticipation about what our individual expectations are. I don't really believe anyone wants an overproduced record ala TISL. IYD, imo, was not over-produced, maybe a little polished here & there, but not at all cluttered. Overall IYD was a well constructed & solidly produced body of work.

I'm anticipating that we are finally getting a Stevie solo record stripped down, perhaps somwhat similar to "Bella Donna", or even parts of "Street Angel"-production-wise. But probably we'll be getting her most bare record ever.
I have grown to love "The Dealer." And I loved "Lady" straightaway. In fact, I've grown to love the current "Dealer" over any of the BD outtakes. And "Lady" is superb in my opinion. Before it was just a sweet litlle song. But Stevie current performance & mature voice take it places it never went before! That's a song that simply doesn't need additional production. It's her torch song. Her voice, alone, with just a simple piano track is perfection. And her singing is so impassioned, and sage enough to not need anything to detract from that.

When you hear some calling out for a little more ambiance, or atmosphere on certain clips, don't mistake that for wanting over-production. Just a little nuance. A subtle string arrangement, or a backing vocal. I think most of us are loving the raw, unfiltered, feeling coming through the two songs we've gotten, as well as the clips (so far.) Stevie always did say that even her closet friends and assosiates would always ask to hear the demos after she fully recorded a song (either with FM or Solo) and they always preferred her demo. I think that was her goal & will be her ultimate achievement on 24 Karat Gold. To stay as true to the demos as possible, with a few exceptions.

I agree with this. I am a little surprised though at how little echo or reverb there is on her vocals in all her work with Dave. It was such a hallmark to a lot of her previous work, and on some songs it really did enhance the song-- it nicely complemented the sparseness of certain songs (the Blue Water demo, Forest of the Black Roses to name two). Maybe someone can think of one I am missing, but I don't think Dave has used it on any song he's produced for her.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
[/B]

I agree with this. I am a little surprised though at how little echo or reverb there is on her vocals in all her work with Dave. Maybe someone can think of one I am missing, but I don't think Dave has used it on any song he's produced for her.
"Moonlight" is overflowing with echo and reverb! Did you forget about that one?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
"Moonlight" is overflowing with echo and reverb! Did you forget about that one?

Other than the very beginning, I hear more layering on Moonlight than echo. I honestly just don't hear it like on stuff like Bella Donna, Kind of Woman, Outside the Rain or many of her demos.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I said I would listen to this snippet, (still not listening to others)
I seriously like this song, I love her voice it sounds mellow and soft, with just a glimpse of her younger voice.
Not a hint of being strident or shouty. Yep I love it.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it... It's got a lot to live up to, as I love, love, love the demo so much. We can't yet hear the harmonies, which really make this song so special, and it's difficult to imagine the final result from a 10 second clip. I'm very much looking forward to hearing the whole song.

I have ended up preferring the new version of The Dealer, which really surprised me. I'm wondering if the same thing will happen with Blue Water?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is the only preview from the album that I'm excited about.

"Lady" I like, but she shouts the whole second half of the song instead of singing it. I was never mad on "The Dealer" demo anyway, but her nasally vocal has really put me off.

First time I've ever not been freaking out over a Stevie release in my entire life.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
This is the only preview from the album that I'm excited about.

"Lady" I like, but she shouts the whole second half of the song instead of singing it. I was never mad on "The Dealer" demo anyway, but her nasally vocal has really put me off.

First time I've ever not been freaking out over a Stevie release in my entire life.
Yeah, the shouting is my least favorite thing about modern Stevie. She's utterly lost all nuance & her signature beautiful tone because of it. She often credits her vocal coach as the savior of the universe... I just want to shake this person, though.

I have to say I've transitioned back into being more nervous than excited. I really, really love about half of what I'm hearing, but the other half is as bad as the other is good. It almost makes me wonder if we're getting another Street Angel. That album was so maddening because half of it's material was as strong as anything Stevie had recorded- the other was absolutely the worst.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It almost makes me wonder if we're getting another Street Angel. That album was so maddening because half of it's material was as strong as anything Stevie had recorded- the other was absolutely the worst.
Not to get into a SA discussion, but the strong moments on that album are currently greatly outweighing anything I've heard of 24KG so far.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
You've talked yourself into disappointment; dismissing this song and the album based on a snippet? You should take a breath and let your judgement/expectations stand until you hear the entire album. In a few days, weeks, months, and years, your perspective can change.
Perhaps you're reading too much into my post? Or haven't read my other posts regarding 24 Karat Gold. I am really looking forward to this record. Probably moreso than I was for IYD. I think it's going to be really special. But as you well know, everyone has their favorite demos, and "Blue Water" was never in my top 30 demos/outtakes. So essentially I was trying to express that I want to like this song more than the demo, which is nice, but imo, I feel Stevie has many more beautiful piano demos still in the vault than BW. I hope the entire new version proves me wrong & I love it, not just like it.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, the shouting is my least favorite thing about modern Stevie. She's utterly lost all nuance & her signature beautiful tone because of it. She often credits her vocal coach as the savior of the universe... I just want to shake this person, though.

I have to say I've transitioned back into being more nervous than excited. I really, really love about half of what I'm hearing, but the other half is as bad as the other is good. It almost makes me wonder if we're getting another Street Angel. That album was so maddening because half of it's material was as strong as anything Stevie had recorded- the other was absolutely the worst.
Nothing on SA was as strong as Stevie ever recorded. Already the Dealer and Lady are better than anything on that album.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I have to say I've transitioned back into being more nervous than excited. I really, really love about half of what I'm hearing, but the other half is as bad as the other is good.
The only song I have trepidation over, is "Mabel Normand." The clip sounds fantastic and very promising, but the original demo is a schizophrenic mess. So I'm nervous about how true they may have stayed lyrically to that demo.

I'm really happy with everything else we've heard so far, and the songs -- as well as Stevie's voice -- sound pretty much exactly the way I'd hoped they would.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Nothing on SA was as strong as Stevie ever recorded. Already the Dealer and Lady are better than anything on that album.
I have to agree with this. And it bodes well for the remaining 14 songs. I haven't heard any clip I dislike, though Carousel was a WTF surprise pick.
Even though I like SA, I have to admit she wasn't at her finest during OSOTM through SA eras. That period was Stevie's low point, professionally & personally. But she survived and prevailed. The klono years were much more detrimental to Stevies writing & craetivity than the cocaine years by a mile!
Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
The only song I have trepidation over, is "Mabel Normand." The clip sounds fantastic and very promising, but the original demo is a schizophrenic mess. So I'm nervous about how true they may have stayed lyrically to that demo.

I'm really happy with everything else we've heard so far, and the songs -- as well as Stevie's voice -- sound pretty much exactly the way I'd hoped they would.
Totally agree with you. The vocal is excellent but if she kept those lyrics it is a total embarrassment.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps you're reading too much into my post? Or haven't read my other posts regarding 24 Karat Gold. I am really looking forward to this record. Probably moreso than I was for IYD. I think it's going to be really special. But as you well know, everyone has their favorite demos, and "Blue Water" was never in my top 30 demos/outtakes. So essentially I was trying to express that I want to like this song more than the demo, which is nice, but imo, I feel Stevie has many more beautiful piano demos still in the vault than BW. I hope the entire new version proves me wrong & I love it, not just like it.
I hope there is some love! I'll look forward to your assessment of it. It will be interesting to read everyone's initial reaction to every song. In the immortally redundant words of Stevie, "Do you always trust your first initial feelings?"'

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-10-2014 at 03:19 PM..