User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I didn't say she was anti-LGBTQ rights. Where did you get that from?
Where did I say “anti-LGBTQ RIGHTS?”

I just said anti-LGBTQ, nothing about rights.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-30-2020, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Where did I say “anti-LGBTQ RIGHTS?”

I just said anti-LGBTQ, nothing about rights.
I don't refer to millions of lives as "LGBTQ" as you do in a Trumpian breath; I say "LGBTQ community"
When you say "anti-LGBTQ" I give you the benefit of the doubt you meant to say "anti-LGBTQ community"
Old 07-30-2020, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
But, I'm gay and I've never felt she was pro or anti gay.
I feel she's accepting of people loving whom they wish to; I commend her.
I feel that she being an international superstar and a person of privilege, has a responsibility to speak truth and speak up when evil is done to targeted communities.
It's great she talked about wearing masks & staying in, and "our poisonous president" but what else does she have to say? It's beautiful she shares her journal on every September 11 and Memorial Day. Where was the post for the torture and murder of George Floyd? Where was the honoring of Pride Month? We got a post about a dove. Vanessa Carlton's album. An eye exam.
The Stones spoke up, Sheryl Crow did, Streisand did, Tony Bennett did.
I wish she'd watch CNN Tonight with Don Lemon. That might get her on social more.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You seem to be at bat for Stevie here so I don't want to offend you by having a view of Stevie's feelings about the LGBTQ community that is in contrast to yours, but the quotes you sent me could've been said by any artist. Saying a general statement like "I'm glad they adore me" or "Fabulous gay men and women lip synch my music" can be said by a conservative star (look at Schwarzenegger)
NOTS is an event celebrating her, attended by persons from all walks of life, because, when asked, she said she was happy that LGBTQ community members attend doesn't make her a fighter for the LGBTQ community like Cyndi Lauper, Grace Jones, or Bette Midler.
I'm not batting for Stevie, I'm stating my opinion.

You said she is 'traditionally conservative.' That may be true of the past, but not many traditionally conservative people embrace a drag event celebrating their life. Or maybe I just haven't met them.

You're right, she hasn't 'fought' for LGBT rights like, say, Madonna has. But that doesn't make her anti them.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel she's accepting of people loving whom they wish to; I commend her.
I feel that she being an international superstar and a person of privilege, has a responsibility to speak truth and speak up when evil is done to targeted communities.
It's great she talked about wearing masks & staying in, and "our poisonous president" but what else does she have to say? It's beautiful she shares her journal on every September 11 and Memorial Day. Where was the post for the torture and murder of George Floyd? Where was the honoring of Pride Month? We got a post about a dove. Vanessa Carlton's album. An eye exam.
The Stones spoke up, Sheryl Crow did, Streisand did, Tony Bennett did.
I wish she'd watch CNN Tonight with Don Lemon. That might get her on social more.
Sorry, but I don't think it's Stevie Nicks' responsibility to offer a running commentary on every controversial event in the country. She is a popstar. If anything, normal people turn away from an issue when the greater good start preaching.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Sorry, but I don't think it's Stevie Nicks' responsibility to offer a running commentary on every controversial event in the country. She is a popstar. If anything, normal people turn away from an issue when the greater good start preaching.
This. I remember during the promotion of Say You Will Stevie ducked every question placed to the band on Peacekeeper: was it about the war in Iraq? What is the band’s stance on the war? Stevie was repeatedly adamant that Fleetwood Mac was not a political band. She was just being smart... no matter what side of history her opinions may fall on, she’s very aware that sharing them might alienate half of your fanbase.

For what it’s worth, I really don’t care what any celebrity thinks about hot-button issues. I think this stems from my experiences growing up as a gay kid who was also a rabid enthusiast of the DeLorean automobile. I read John DeLorean’s autobiography as a teen, and was pretty stung by the anti-gay comments in his book. However, I snapped out of that pretty quickly. I don’t care if John DeLorean didn’t care for gays, I still loved his car anyway. In fact, I felt kinda like my owning a DeLorean car as a gay man was thumbing my nose at his views, and I dug that.

That being said, I do understand not wanting to give someone money and fame if they are vocally contrary to your beliefs. But Stevie has never been anti-gay, ever. For those saying she’s conservative, you can look up online where she has repeatedly given campaign contributions to democratic candidates. She may not be a vocal advocate for causes like Madonna or a Gaga... but that’s also not who she is. Her whole shtick has been airy-fairy escapism. People are drawn to her mystical style to escape their ****ty existences. Stevie involving herself in social and political issues would just burst that bubble. Kinda like Queen Elizabeth... if she lets her opinions be known, if she lets the media & public in too close, it kills the whole mystical facade of royalty and exceptionalism.

And as a final point... I’m still pissed at Stevie for firing Lindsey and killing Fleetwood Mac. But I haven’t stop listening to the band’s music! I am able to keep my disdain for her separate from my love of her work within Fleetwood Mac. I won’t let her kill that love.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Amen! I can't stand it when a celebrity thinks we are supposed to be interested in them telling us how to feel about one thing or another simply because they happen to be famous.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think this belongs to this forum, since the Stevie episode was during the Rumours lineup days.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...d-stevie-nicks
This is one of those articles with links to other articles and I slipped down quite a rabbit hole for a while there reading some interesting pieces about Rod Serling, Veronica Lake, Elvis, Anna May Wong, Charlton Heston etc. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 07-30-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Old 07-30-2020, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Look, I'm no $tevie fan. There are enough horrible qualities about her to discuss. But, I'm gay and I've never felt she was pro or anti gay.

As far as 1000 Stevie's. It is a little creepy. Can you imagine 1000's of people dressing up and acting like you from all over the world? I guess it goes with the territory of being a superstar.
Really?
I find it anything BUT creepy. Its idol worship to the extreme. There have always been women dressing up at Stevie at concerts. Why not men too? ALL of them are paying tribute to Stevie which really demonstrates her passion from her fans. I find them all extremely talented especially the Ho Ho's. Many of them can really sing and perform. And btw, (Homer), nothing wrong in paying tribute to all eras of Steviedom including the drugged out years. I love it when the Ho Ho's have both the good Stevie and bad Stevie on stage at the same time. For comedy to work, there has to be a bit of truth for a sketch to work and it worked brilliantly. Do you think SNL's Stevie's fajita restaurant was creepy? Of course not, it was done in good fun.

C'mon people. The world is falling apart. We need more comedy. Her fans are so devoted and I appreciate their work.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Amen! I can't stand it when a celebrity thinks we are supposed to be interested in them telling us how to feel about one thing or another simply because they happen to be famous.
I agree completely. Many oftentimes aren't that smart anyway. Just because they're in a position of power doesn't make their opinion worth two sh*ts.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Really?
I find it anything BUT creepy. Its idol worship to the extreme. There have always been women dressing up at Stevie at concerts. Why not men too? ALL of them are paying tribute to Stevie which really demonstrates her passion from her fans. I find them all extremely talented especially the Ho Ho's. Many of them can really sing and perform. And btw, (Homer), nothing wrong in paying tribute to all eras of Steviedom including the drugged out years. I love it when the Ho Ho's have both the good Stevie and bad Stevie on stage at the same time. For comedy to work, there has to be a bit of truth for a sketch to work and it worked brilliantly. Do you think SNL's Stevie's fajita restaurant was creepy? Of course not, it was done in good fun.

C'mon people. The world is falling apart. We need more comedy. Her fans are so devoted and I appreciate their work.
Well, MY point was whether or not $HE appreciated it. I'll bet $he doesn't, at least if it's anything that's not flattering.

I'd LOVE to go as fat, drugged out $tevie. Curlers in my hair, and coke dust clinging to my nose holes!
Old 07-30-2020, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't refer to millions of lives as "LGBTQ" as you do in a Trumpian breath; I say "LGBTQ community"
When you say "anti-LGBTQ" I give you the benefit of the doubt you meant to say "anti-LGBTQ community"
Good for you.

However, I wasn’t talking about the LGBTQ COMMUNITY, either. That’s not the debate.

You know, you might have a better chance of making your point if you quit resorting to name calling (Karen, Trumpian), strawmen arguments, and red herrings.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-30-2020, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Good for you.

However, I wasn’t talking about the LGBTQ COMMUNITY, either. That’s not the debate.

You know, you might have a better chance of making your point if you quit resorting to name calling (Karen, Trumpian), strawmen arguments, and red herrings.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you?
I saw you call someone an "obtuse pain in the ass" Was that not name calling?

I didn't say Karen Johnston, I said Liz Rosenberg, who's a publicist.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This. I remember during the promotion of Say You Will Stevie ducked every question placed to the band on Peacekeeper: was it about the war in Iraq? What is the band’s stance on the war? Stevie was repeatedly adamant that Fleetwood Mac was not a political band. She was just being smart... no matter what side of history her opinions may fall on, she’s very aware that sharing them might alienate half of your fanbase.

For what it’s worth, I really don’t care what any celebrity thinks about hot-button issues. I think this stems from my experiences growing up as a gay kid who was also a rabid enthusiast of the DeLorean automobile. I read John DeLorean’s autobiography as a teen, and was pretty stung by the anti-gay comments in his book. However, I snapped out of that pretty quickly. I don’t care if John DeLorean didn’t care for gays, I still loved his car anyway. In fact, I felt kinda like my owning a DeLorean car as a gay man was thumbing my nose at his views, and I dug that.

That being said, I do understand not wanting to give someone money and fame if they are vocally contrary to your beliefs. But Stevie has never been anti-gay, ever. For those saying she’s conservative, you can look up online where she has repeatedly given campaign contributions to democratic candidates. She may not be a vocal advocate for causes like Madonna or a Gaga... but that’s also not who she is. Her whole shtick has been airy-fairy escapism. People are drawn to her mystical style to escape their ****ty existences. Stevie involving herself in social and political issues would just burst that bubble. Kinda like Queen Elizabeth... if she lets her opinions be known, if she lets the media & public in too close, it kills the whole mystical facade of royalty and exceptionalism.

And as a final point... I’m still pissed at Stevie for firing Lindsey and killing Fleetwood Mac. But I haven’t stop listening to the band’s music! I am able to keep my disdain for her separate from my love of her work within Fleetwood Mac. I won’t let her kill that love.
Exactly, it hardly fits with Stevie's 'flowing through life in touch with the spirit world' thing to start signing petitions and going on marches. But that doesn't mean she's a die hard Republican either.

Oh same. I have to separate my sadness at her recent actions in destroying Fleetwood Mac, with my love for her music.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There doesn't seem to be enough argue about on this post, so I'll give my two cents. From Stevie's perspective, I doubt she even thinks of NOTS as a gay event. She probably see it as another means of her proving her status as "The Icon", which has caused her ego to get so big she no longer feels she needs some of the very people who helped her get to where she is today (and in the band she was originally not even intended to be a part of).

Furthermore, I think the topic of homosexuality makes her nervous after her lesbian fans would very much like to believe she is gay/bi, especially since she surrounds herself mostly with other females. The VH1 Fans episode helped make that clear to her and her fans.