Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Did that gig ever actually happen? I know the universities are different but that perhaps is only Dave's confused memory?

http://dmme.net/interviews/dwalker.html

Interviewer: - There was some accident before the HUNGRY FIGHTER’s only gig. What happened?

Dave Walker: "The road crew who were helping HUNGRY FIGHTER were working the night before our gig at London University with another band. On the way home from that gig, they were involved in a serious road accident in which our roadie, John Knowles, was badly injured, and the equipment we were to use was, by and large, destroyed. We did not play, as the headline band would not loan us any of their gear."
Wow, you know, this is what I hate about interviews. You can't go by current ones because they are plugging their product and just say how great the new album is etc. then older ones, they conflict each other. Oh well, guess this one will always be an enigma.

John
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What kind of music did Hungry Fighter play. I had never heard of this band so every mention really astonishes me.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
What kind of music did Hungry Fighter play. I had never heard of this band so every mention really astonishes me.
Going out on a limb, but blues rock boogie. I mean, there was Danny, Walker, and a couple of guys from Chicken Shack.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-06-2014, 03:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There's a song called "Look Around You" on Danny's solo album "Midnight In San Juan" (a couple of years after Hungry Fighter). This song was written by Dave Walker. It could have orginated from the Hungry Fighter project...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN6M5hWU_5U
Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Wow, you know, this is what I hate about interviews. You can't go by current ones because they are plugging their product and just say how great the new album is etc. then older ones, they conflict each other. Oh well, guess this one will always be an enigma.

John
Especially as we know that during that period Dave was so drunk most of the time he probably didn't recall much at all.

It is like that interview when he was asked why that Dave Walker solo album from the late 70's never ended up being released, and he said "Drugs" or something similar.

You know, slight off topic (hell very off topic we've drifted from Stretch to Hungry Fighter) but when sometimes when I hear The Doors I think that the sound that Dave should have been doing, he had the voice, and he could have done it better. If things had worked out with FM, or if he had stayed with Savoy Brown perhaps he would have been a household name now rather than just gigging in Montana bars.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Especially as we know that during that period Dave was so drunk most of the time he probably didn't recall much at all.

It is like that interview when he was asked why that Dave Walker solo album from the late 70's never ended up being released, and he said "Drugs" or something similar.

You know, slight off topic (hell very off topic we've drifted from Stretch to Hungry Fighter) but when sometimes when I hear The Doors I think that the sound that Dave should have been doing, he had the voice, and he could have done it better. If things had worked out with FM, or if he had stayed with Savoy Brown perhaps he would have been a household name now rather than just gigging in Montana bars.
Yeah, certainly LA Woman and their more blues type stuff. I guess Riders On The Storm has the Donovan's Brain psych-rock kind of thing going on too which may have appealed to Dave. I'll never understand why The Doors didn't just have Full Circle and Other Voices be instrumental albums. I guess they thought of the band in a much different way though (if Howard Werth was going to be Morrison's replacement, instead of DW I mean).

John
Old 03-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He could have done a great cover of BTO's "Let It Roll"

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is there any chance that Mick could have been in on the fake FM episode after all? I'd always taken his version of events as gospel. However, I'm increasingly starting to feel that perhaps not everything he says should be taken at face value- bit of a schemer, old Mick. Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Is there any chance that Mick could have been in on the fake FM episode after all? I'd always taken his version of events as gospel. However, I'm increasingly starting to feel that perhaps not everything he says should be taken at face value- bit of a schemer, old Mick. Any thoughts?
Haha, interesting thought!
But if that was the case, why wouldn't poor Clifford Davis (who has turned out to be Mr.Bad Manager) have said anything about it...?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
But if that was the case, why wouldn't poor Clifford Davis (who has turned out to be Mr.Bad Manager) have said anything about it...?
Well, I don't know much about the long, drawn out legal case but perhaps his silence was part of the settlement.
The ex-Stretch members still seem to believe Mick was due to join up with them at some point on that tour.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
Actually, he did. In Brunning's book he said Mick agreed to do it but he would join them later in the tour, so they got Collinge and started the tour. Then he didn't.

I've often thought Mick may have originally agreed then reconsidered and from then on decided to just deny all knowledge to everyone as that was easier to explain especially since they were ramping up their legal case.

John
Old 10-26-2014, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the info, FuzzyPlum and wetcamelfood.
I don't know much about this story. But it seems you have a point here..
Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I cant remember exactly how Mick frames it in his autobiography, but I've just read back on those events in 'Fleetwood Mac- Definitive History'. Mick is quoted from his book as saying 'To this day I don't know the names of the musicians involved and I don't want to know'.

Come on Mick, that sounds like a complete load of old tosh- of course you'd know who they were!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I cant remember exactly how Mick frames it in his autobiography, but I've just read back on those events in 'Fleetwood Mac- Definitive History'. Mick is quoted from his book as saying 'To this day I don't know the names of the musicians involved and I don't want to know'.

Come on Mick, that sounds like a complete load of old tosh- of course you'd know who they were!
Exactly, I doubt very much Mickey Shapiro would not have mentioned any of their names at any time throughout presenting his case in the courtroom and even Dave Walker said in Brunning's book that even though he wasn't in the band anymore that he was around and he said Mick knew all about it as well. So if someone then outside of the circle knew that Mick knew about it then this must hold some teeth.

John
Old 10-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Rolling Stone looks back 40 years to its February 28, 1974 issue]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-cher-20140301

2. Fake Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac's manager put a version of the band on the road without any actual members of Fleetwood Mac (who were then Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Bob Welch, and Bob Weston; Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined at the end of the year). "Basically what it boils down to is the manager flipped his lid," Welch said. "He can put four dogs barking on a leash and call it Fleetwood Mac."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz2ukBLDZek
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Bob Weston? That's not right. He was gone several years before Lindsey and Stevie joined. He was a great guitar player; we'll never know howt Heroes Are Hard to Find would have turned out with him on board.