Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2003, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So Eric, I meant to ask, you say your collection is complete with the BN stuff you have and the Welch stuff...I respect if you don't like it but I just gotta ask, did you like any of the Peter Green era stuff or BTM/Time stuff? Just curious to know what you thought of that stuff here (though I'm sorry if I'm going off topic again everybody).
I liked "Green Manalishi" but it wasn't enough to make me want to investigate that period of the band any further. I'm especially not interested in the straightforward blues stuff either. Sometime I might pick up "Then Play On" but I'm really in no hurry to check it out.

As far as BTM/Time I've made a new policy to never check out the fringe albums by bands with big catalogs anymore. I just can't afford average music. I rarely read good things about these albums, with the exception of the extreme hardcore fan that would love anything FM would do. I would buy Tango, Kiln House, the 80s live album, or an old video or something like that before I got one of those discs. Love Is Dangerous is an OK song. I dunno, I just really don't have much of an interest in their later period stuff of their really early stuff. I'm sure there's some noteworthy music, but on my budget, I need to buy albums that COUNT.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

OK, fair enough.

Just to clarify, from what you said, you probably do know this already but in case you didn't, "Then play on" is when FM started ROCKING. I think many assume that since Peter Green was on that album, that means that it's "blues" and of course they shouldn't think that but whatever, just wanted to say that.

John
Old 09-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh believe me, I've read great things about Then Play On and do plan on getting it sometime. It's just that right now, I'm pretty content with my Fleetwood Mac purchases and I'm not really in a big hurry to get any more CD's by them for a while.

As a matter of fact, my last trip to best buy I didn't get ANY Mac stuff. Which worked out perfectly, because I discovered the immense amount of ass-kicking that the first Utopia album does. That was the best last-minute "oh what the hell, the cover's cool so I'll buy it" purchases I EVER made.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
...I need to buy albums that COUNT.

If it's by Fleetwood Mac...it counts!

Quote:
...because I discovered the immense amount of ass-kicking that the first Utopia album does. That was the best last-minute "oh what the hell, the cover's cool so I'll buy it" purchases I EVER made.
Now comparing the two quotes from you, you totally contradict yourself. How can you say "I need to buy albums that COUNT" in the same breath as "oh what the hell..."?? Your album buying dollar would've been just as well spent on anything by Fleetwood Mac...pre-1975/post-1987...as buying a Utopia album (not knocking your choice in album, Utopia's first album is a great album, but just noting the blatant contradiction in your statements.)
Old 09-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had never read a bad review of that album online. I did check it out on the internet before I decided to buy it, and was going to buy a Fleetwood Mac CD but figured I'd buy something different for a change. More clear now?

Plus it just looked like an album that counted. When you consider that most every review said "every song is good" that means the 4 extra long, trippy prog-rock epics. With 4 songs it's hard to have filler.

And from my experiences so far with buying FM CD's, I feel I have picked up quite a few that count more than enough.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I had never read a bad review of that album online. I did check it out on the internet before I decided to buy it, and was going to buy a Fleetwood Mac CD but figured I'd buy something different for a change. More clear now?

Plus it just looked like an album that counted. When you consider that most every review said "every song is good" that means the 4 extra long, trippy prog-rock epics. With 4 songs it's hard to have filler.
Utopia-Stevie Nicks connection: Rundgren lived with Paul Fishkin in the early 1970s, & even wrote the song "We Gotta Get You a Woman" about Paul, whom they were trying to fix up. Some years later, Fishkin *does* hook up -- with Stevie Nicks -- & arranges for his famous girlfriend to show up onstage at a Rundgren concert on May 23, 1978, at the Roxy in Los Angeles to perform "Hang On Sloopy," "Hello, It's Me" & "Just One Victory."

Fishkin & Stevie ultimately form a record company & she is signed as the primo artist on the new label, Modern Records, in 1980. Her first album goes multiplatinum & hits #1 on Billboard. The lovebirds had, however, by that time split.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....
Old 09-15-2003, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoa, you know way too much about Fleetwood Mac!

Quote:
arranges for his famous girlfriend to show up onstage at a Rundgren concert on May 23, 1978, at the Roxy in Los Angeles to perform "Hang On Sloopy," "Hello, It's Me" & "Just One Victory."
That's it? I'm sure they could have let her sing "Rock And Roll Pu&$y" too.

Last edited by EricBliss12345; 09-15-2003 at 07:16 AM..