The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, I was just reviewing what we know about Smile At You. Ken said Stevie developed it with Tom and when Lindsey found out that Tom had been involved, he didn't want the song on Runours. However when asked about the song in his Q & A here, Tom said sorry, he didn't even know anything about that song.

Michele
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So, I was just reviewing what we know about Smile At You. Ken said Stevie developed it with Tom and when Lindsey found out that Tom had been involved, he didn't want the song on Runours. However when asked about the song in his Q & A here, Tom said sorry, he didn't even know anything about that song.
These guys never remember what happened. In his Q&A, Ken didn't remember that the band recorded it for Mirage. Stevie doesn't remember which year she toured for The Wild Heart. And Brett Tuggle didn't remember that he played the piano on Oh Daddy on the 1997 tour.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The most shocking thing of all, there's no
mention of Barry in the Caillat book.
Sure he became more important to Stevie
in the early 80's and then the 90's, for most
obvious reasons. But no mention at all!?!?
What gives Ken?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
These guys never remember what happened. In his Q&A, Ken didn't remember that the band recorded it for Mirage. Stevie doesn't remember which year she toured for The Wild Heart. And Brett Tuggle didn't remember that he played the piano on Oh Daddy on the 1997 tour.
Yes, but since Golden Braid was the only song he co-wrote with Stevie, if he'd actually developed Smile at You with her, he would have remembered. It's not like they had a lot of true collaborations, though he was dubbed "demo producer."

Michele
Old 04-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, but since Golden Braid was the only song he co-wrote with Stevie, if he'd actually developed Smile at You with her, he would have remembered. It's not like they had a lot of true collaborations, though he was dubbed "demo producer."
"Golden Braid" may be the only song published that Tom co-wrote. Sometimes I wonder just how many songs Moncrieff may have helped Stevie build. On Nancy's website, he took credit not only for helping Stevie orchestrate "Sara" but for having laid down the tracks that were actually used on the Tusk album. (The claim is suspect for a number of reasons, but it was made.)

A lot of old demos filled with mystery musicians may have been Moncrieff and assorted people: How about the "All the King's Horses" full-band demo? or the old "If You Ever Did Believe"? The demos with electric keyboard and Casio-style drum are easy to identify as Stevie herself, but many of those full-band demos that are neither Fleetwood Mac nor the Heartbreakers may very well be a circle of friends that include Tom M.

Sometimes, Mick Fleetwood is easy to pick out as the drummer--as on the "Storms" and "Watchdevil" demos from Almanac. But who else is playing?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Golden Braid" may be the only song published that Tom co-wrote. Sometimes I wonder just how many songs Moncrieff may have helped Stevie build. On Nancy's website, he took credit not only for helping Stevie orchestrate "Sara" but for having laid down the tracks that were actually used on the Tusk album. (The claim is suspect for a number of reasons, but it was made.)
Yes, he said he co-wrote Golden Braid and worked on Leather and Lace, Sara, Outside The Rain, Gypsy and Sisters of the Moon. He talked about Stevie venturing off into a Motwon sound on SOTM that he wished he'd had the opportunity to explore further. And then a lot of Bella Donna album pre-production, but he didn't even think he was part of Stevie's life when she was doing Smile at You.

So, Hernan Rojas was the engineer on a lot of those things. I wonder what he remembers.

Michele
Old 04-17-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
It sounds more like a Buckingham Nicks song than Fleetwood Mac. Which is probably why I love it.
I love this tune... I has the energy and vibe that I think is totally Rumours.. but yet in a B/N sort of way... I always picture Christine doing the clapping.. lol
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He talked about Stevie venturing off into a Motwon sound on SOTM that he wished he'd had the opportunity to explore further.
What a bizarre thing to say. The Motown sound refers to production and orchestrative elements found in certain soul and R&B records. Stevie sings her song and backs herself on piano on SOTM. What does that have to do with Motown?! (My question is rhetorical: It has nothing to do with Motown.) Maybe he was thinking of the vocal doo-wa on Sara from early takes?

Quote:
So, Hernan Rojas was the engineer on a lot of those things. I wonder what he remembers.
Line him up for a Q&A! We have a lot to ask him.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What a bizarre thing to say. The Motown sound refers to production and orchestrative elements found in certain soul and R&B records.
He referenced piano that sounded like vibraphone parts that were syncopated.

Michele
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He referenced piano that sounded like vibraphone parts that were syncopated.
That still doesn't make any sense. Michele, can you post the interview transcript?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And....here's Ken tonight on blogtalkradio.......

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/juneaux...au-xenas-salon
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That still doesn't make any sense. Michele, can you post the interview transcript?
David, you know exactly where that interview is. Why are you faking befuddlement?

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...623&Itemid=383

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...667&Itemid=409
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
David, you know exactly where that interview is. Why are you faking befuddlement?

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...623&Itemid=383

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/fwm/inde...667&Itemid=409
Well, I didn't know you were talking about THAT.

Hey, I was just over at Ken's website and if you follow the eBook link, you can find a bunch of really cool Shockwave-Flash embedded files--with cool photos--of various parts of the recording. Did you know that was there? Does Ken have any more of that stuff and can he share it?

To me, I don't need to read the book for the musical story. All I need to do is listen to the snippets of tracks and that tells me exactly what happened in the recording booth in terms of instrumentation and effects. (I'm an experienced listener.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
To me, I don't need to read the book for the musical story. All I need to do is listen to the snippets of tracks and that tells me exactly what happened in the recording booth in terms of instrumentation and effects. (I'm an experienced listener.)
Well, read the book and make sure you are right. You may find yourself surprised in places. You may have guessed wrong about what you thought you were hearing!

Michele
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
And....here's Ken tonight on blogtalkradio.......

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/juneaux...au-xenas-salon
Thank you for the link. The audio interview is downloadable.