User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
My advice would be to search out more bootlegs from various tours. They have all had their off-tours. Don't just judge a singer by a few downloads. Bootlegs aren't necessarily representative of someone's ability. Christine sounded quite flat and monotone through many tours herself.
I think all three of those singers have had great vocal moments onstage & rotten vocal moments onstage over the years. Here's my list of both that everyone's probably familiar with:

Great Lindsey Vocal Moment:
"Monday Morning," Birmingham, Aug. 1980

Rotten Lindsey Vocal Moment:
"Go Your Own Way," Memphis, Oct. 1982

Great Christine Vocal Moment:
"The Smile I Live For," Los Angeles, June 1984

Rotten Christine Vocal Moment:
"Oh Daddy," St. Louis, Nov. 1979

Great Stevie Vocal Moment:
"How Still My Love," Los Angeles, Oct. 1983

Rotten Stevie Vocal Moment:
"Talk to Me," Mountain View, Aug. 1991
Old 11-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

please ...get over yourself.

there was nothing rude about what lindsey said in that interview.
he has always been honest about the music and most of us are ready to admit that Chris's performances on The Dance and that tour were pretty lackluster. it was obvious that she was bored and lacked energy throughout the the tour.

i love Christine and her music but she hadn't done anything interesting since the title track from Behind The Mask.
Stevie and Lindsey still had the energy and interest so they kept on going.

i love what's happened to the band and i love the new album.

i just wish they would lose the tired stale set list and become a real touring rock band again...
Old 11-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David
I think Johnny probably meant the days of "Bella Donna" & "The Wild Heart." The mild success she had with "Shangri-La" was nothing compared with those heady days of the early 1980s. And even during those days, Stevie for the most part always talked about how cool it was to be a part of a great rock band, & how she preferred it to doing her solo tours.
You beat me to responding, David, but yes, the "heights" that I was referring to, were the days of 'Bella Donna' and 'The Wild Heart.' When I'm also sure that not just a few people were telling Stevie she didn't need Fleetwood Mac anymore, and to just quit altogether.

She wasn't perfect in those days, and I'm not trying to make her out to be a saint or a martyr, but for whatever it's worth, she did stay with Fleetwood Mac, when she very easily could have bolted. Especially given the tense nature of her relationship with Lindsey.
Why bother going thru the stress of butting heads with someone, if your heart isn't in being there?

As for her renewed success after 'The Dance'... I think she was in the process of rebuilding, and probably would have been able to eventually erase her tarnished image, but 'The Dance' most certainly helped to kick-start that.
And the timing definitely worked out to her benefit, since she was at the end of her contract with Modern, and the boxed-set fulfilled that. So she had the one-two punch of releasing a collection that reminded people of how great her music has been, and the chance to go out on tour and show people that she was still rocking.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I truly believe today's Mac exists primarily because Lindsey wanted back in. If he hadn't returned, Stevie would have stayed away too. So no Mac.
I'd have to agree. She's said in recent years that she probably should have left when he did in 1987, because it just didn't feel the same to her without him, so I imagine the same would hold true today.

I think she said, "we came in together, and we should have left together."

I never took those comments to be disparaging of Billy or Rick... after all, she worked with Billy before he joined, and she had Rick in her solo band a couple years after they both left FM.
I think it was just a matter of her missing the chemistry that her & Lindsey had.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
And SYW was a flop. Certainly not a flop on the scale that Thrown Down and SYHA will flop, but it was a flop. Peacekeeper was riding high on the adult contemp. charts for a lot longer than a couple of weeks and it was the only new single so far to hit the Hot 100 chart on Billboard, quite the feat for a new Mac song.
I still have to argue with that statement. "Say You Will" peaked in the Top 20 on the Adult Contemporary charts... "Peacekeeper" charted just a handful of positions higher, in the early part of the year, when competition from other high profile acts is historically less.

Also, "Peacekeeper" managed to peak at #80 on the Hot 100 Singles chart, because of the combination of airplay and sales of the digital single... which was greatly pushed by Warner Bros. and the official FM site.
It also benefitted from timely performances on The Today Show and The Tonight Show, as well as a video in rotation on VH1.

Again, I'm not saying that "Peacekeeper" wasn't deserving of its success, but there were a lot of promotional factors that helped it achieve those chart positions. And to dismiss "Say You Will" as an outright flop, is a little short-sighted.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
I still have to argue with that statement. "Say You Will" peaked in the Top 20 on the Adult Contemporary charts... "Peacekeeper" charted just a handful of positions higher, in the early part of the year, when competition from other high profile acts is historically less.

Also, "Peacekeeper" managed to peak at #80 on the Hot 100 Singles chart, because of the combination of airplay and sales of the digital single... which was greatly pushed by Warner Bros. and the official FM site.
It also benefitted from timely performances on The Today Show and The Tonight Show, as well as a video in rotation on VH1.

Again, I'm not saying that "Peacekeeper" wasn't deserving of its success, but there were a lot of promotional factors that helped it achieve those chart positions. And to dismiss "Say You Will" as an outright flop, is a little short-sighted.
I agree... I seldom listen to the radio, but heard Say You Will a lot in my area. A lot more then I heard Peacekeeper at least.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You beat me to responding, David, but yes, the "heights" that I was referring to, were the days of 'Bella Donna' and 'The Wild Heart.' When I'm also sure that not just a few people were telling Stevie she didn't need Fleetwood Mac anymore, and to just quit altogether.

She wasn't perfect in those days, and I'm not trying to make her out to be a saint or a martyr, but for whatever it's worth, she did stay with Fleetwood Mac, when she very easily could have bolted. Especially given the tense nature of her relationship with Lindsey.
Why bother going thru the stress of butting heads with someone, if your heart isn't in being there?

As for her renewed success after 'The Dance'... I think she was in the process of rebuilding, and probably would have been able to eventually erase her tarnished image, but 'The Dance' most certainly helped to kick-start that.
And the timing definitely worked out to her benefit, since she was at the end of her contract with Modern, and the boxed-set fulfilled that. So she had the one-two punch of releasing a collection that reminded people of how great her music has been, and the chance to go out on tour and show people that she was still rocking.
How bad "tarnished" was her image by the early nineties. I was not aware of Stevie until The Dance came out, so I never experienced seeing Stevie in a bad light. So, what exactly happened? Was she just teased or did it get ugly?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dontlookdown
please ...get over yourself.

there was nothing rude about what lindsey said in that interview.
he has always been honest about the music and most of us are ready to admit that Chris's performances on The Dance and that tour were pretty lackluster. it was obvious that she was bored and lacked energy throughout the the tour.

i love Christine and her music but she hadn't done anything interesting since the title track from Behind The Mask.
Stevie and Lindsey still had the energy and interest so they kept on going.

i love what's happened to the band and i love the new album.

i just wish they would lose the tired stale set list and become a real touring rock band again...
I don't need to get over myself, I am just standing up for Christine. If I was Christine and I read that article I would be very hurt. Maybe I'm just sensative.

And I love the new album too and their rockier image. I just don't think there is any need to be borderline insulting in an interview Christine most likely read.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CarneVaca
Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
I really don't beleive this is Lindsey's group because when it ...most people are going to the concerts to see Stevie and most people are buying the album to hear Stevie, as most critics have said in different articles.

Uh, dude, you're going to have to show us these articles in which "most critics" are saying this. From what I've seen, it's been pretty much 50/50 in terms of the critics' preference for Lindsey or Stevie.
I didn't say that most critics of the concerts are saying they enjoyed Stevie more. You are right, it is about 50/50, however most critics mention that the audience is clearly there to see Stevie which is true because when the average Joe thinks of FM they think of Stevie.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
How bad "tarnished" was her image by the early nineties. I was not aware of Stevie until The Dance came out, so I never experienced seeing Stevie in a bad light. So, what exactly happened? Was she just teased or did it get ugly?
During her Klonopin addiction, Stevie's performances grew lethargic and she gained weight. Her album sales also diminished for a variety of reasons.
Some feel that the material was of a lesser quality than earlier in her career, and others feel it was simply a matter of yet another popular 1970s and 1980s singer, who became "uncool" in the grunge and rap dominated '90s (which can be a pretty damaging thing in the terminally hip world of contemporary music).

I'm sure both factors had something to do with it (although I dislike that so many of Stevie's "latter-day" songs are dismissed out of hand, simply because fans feel more nostalgic towards the earlier music).

At any rate, there was never any kind of major scandal or anything like that... she just became "uncool," and her live performances less engaging.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 11-24-2003 at 04:39 PM..
Old 11-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[i]
Lastly, Diamondsnake, there is no such thing as the "voice" of FM. If you truly believe Stevie is that, you simply don't know enough about the history of the band. There is no "voice." There is a "sound," which changed over the years. As I see it, FM has had three major "sound" stages: Peter Green, Bob Welch and Lindsey. And the band exists today because of Lindsey. [/B]
Just to make things clear, I was not the one that originally posted that Stevie is the voice of Fleetwood Mac...

Also, the band exists today because of Stevie and Lindsey. Not just Lindsey. Stevie joined FM again and then the record company magically became intrested in FM which goes to show that without Stevie there would be no Mac today. But then again, without Lindsey initially starting the whole thing, she never would have joined so it is really just a big cycle!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just to make things clear, I was not the one that originally posted that Stevie is the voice of Fleetwood Mac...

Also, the band exists today because of Stevie and Lindsey. Not just Lindsey. Stevie joined FM again and then the record company magically became intrested in FM which goes to show that without Stevie there would be no Mac today. But then again, without Lindsey initially starting the whole thing, she never would have joined so it is really just a big cycle!
Oh God. I just wrote that and the second I hit the submit button realized that I am starting to sound like Lindsey and his precious cycles. This is scary...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmm

Quote:
That's exactly it: he chose to turn it into a Mac record, just as he did with TITN. We can debate it all we want, but no one twisted Lindsey's arm and said "You MUST turn this into a Mac record!!" He had a variety of options available, such as releasing it independently (lord knows he has the cash to do so and it isn't that expensive). However, he chose to turn it into a group effort for whatever reason, be it for the money or the creative aspects. I suspect both.

And SYW was a flop. Certainly not a flop on the scale that Thrown Down and SYHA will flop, but it was a flop. Peacekeeper was riding high on the adult contemp. charts for a lot longer than a couple of weeks and it was the only new single so far to hit the Hot 100 chart on Billboard, quite the feat for a new Mac song.

Like I said, her backing vocals weren't THAT good that her contributions made it the hit it is.
First of all, even though no one twisted his arm, it was either turn it into a FM project or sit at home and have only him and a few thousand fans listen to it, purchased via his personal website!

And I still Say that Say You Will was not a flop, not for me at least. And it really doesn't matter, I like Say You Will much better then Peacekeeper, so perhaps it is not fair for me to judge. But SYW had no promotion and still did fairly good in adult contemp.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
During her Klonopin addiction, Stevie's performances grew lethargic and she gained weight. Her album sales also diminished for a variety of reasons.
Some feel that the material was of a lesser quality than earlier in her career, and others feel it was simply a matter of yet another popular 1970s and 1980s singer, who became "uncool" in the grunge and rap dominated '90s (which can be a pretty damaging thing in the terminally hip world of contemporary music).

I'm sure both factors had something to do with it (although I dislike that so many of Stevie's "latter-day" songs are dismissed out of hand, simply because fans feel more nostalgic towards the earlier music).

At any rate, there was never any kind of major scandal or anything like that... she just became "uncool," and her live performances less engaging.
Well I must say that I really enjoy some of her stuff from the late 80s and early nineties. Other Side of the Mirror is an absolute masterpeice if you ask me! And I loved her single for The Chain, Paper Doll. I also really enjoyed her stuff on Behind the Mask and many songs off Street Angel.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Ledgie

Default gross mis-interpretation of Lindsey

I've been reading this post from the onset and I just want to add that the poster has taken Lindsey's quotes totally out of context and it is a little irresponsible to call him rude in the title of the post - nothing more nothing less. Chris left the band plain and simple and though his comments aren't earth shatteringly complementary, they are not terrible eiter, especially in light of the fact that they are out of their original context.

Last edited by jeffs; 11-24-2003 at 04:57 PM..