The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which is better, the Dance or the album cuts?

Out of the classic songs on the dance which is actually much better live?

I would say The Chain, Everywhere, Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid, Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, Go Your Own Way, and Don't Stop are all much better live.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 10-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why compare them???? (although you certainly have the right to a preference.) It's like comparing apples to oranges. The studio versions were carefully crafted in a controlled environment. Live performances -- especially of songs that were recorded 20 years ago -- are another entity entirely. It's not a question of which ones "are better." That is such a personal, subjective choice.

The one thing I've noticed with the latter day version of Fleetwood Mac...they've made a shift in recent years (with the addition of a large support band) to sound more like their recorded versions.

When it was just the five of them (four intruments and three vocals), there was no way for them to replicate all of those studio elements. As such, their live versions were considerably different; much more sparse and raw, with a harder rock and roll edge.

I'm still not sure which approach I prefer. I guess I just accept it as a natural evolution of the band. I think if I was in my fifties doing what they're doing, I would want some support too! I like the studio versions for what they are. I enjoy their live versions for what they are. It's neither here nor there.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-04-2003 at 02:45 PM..
Old 10-04-2003, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I DEFINITELY prefer "I'm So Afraid" Dance version (or ANY live version for that matter) over the almost timid by comparison studio version.

Others that are much more powerful and affecting live than in the studio: Silver Springs, Landslide, Go Insane (I know it's not on the CD, but it IS on the video). [Edited to add: Big Love - how could I forget that?!]

GYOW, The Chain, and Say You Love Me are tied with the studio versions, I think. For the rest, the studio versions are better (except for Rhiannon, regarding which NEITHER is the best. One must look to the Live 1980 album for that one).

Overall - this band ROCKS LIVE.

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-04-2003 at 07:13 PM..
Old 10-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking My picks

The Chain--I prefer the Dance version...lots of emotion and the guitar work is 100% perfection
Dreams---Rumours version
Everywhere--The Dance
Gold Dust Woman---The Dance version because of the scream
I'm So Afraid--hands down, the Dance version
Temporary One--uh, thats a no-brainer
Bleed to Love Her--Say You Will version (because of the ending)
Gypsy--The Chain box set extended cut
Big Love--The Dance (duh!)
Go Insane--The Dance
Landslide--The Dance
Say You Love Me--White album version
You Make Loving Fun--Rumours
My Little Demon--uh...
Silver Springs---its tough...but...The Dance
Over My Head--The Dance
Rhiannon--white album
Sweet Girl--the Dance? =P
Go Your Own Way--a tie (because the live solo is the SH*T!)
Tusk--Tusk
Don't stop--Rumours
Songbird--Rumours
Old 10-04-2003, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just about everything on the dance is perfection. The Standouts are Silver Springs, Everywhere, Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman, Big Love, Landslide,Go Your Own Way and The Chain. Dreams aint bad either Don't stop and Go Insane are also awesome.

Who am I kidding all the tracks are excellent
Old 10-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer the album versions to just about any version on The Dance.

One of the only songs that really offered anything different or better than the studio version was "Don't Stop" which is absolutely rediculous with the full marching band. And they accused the prog-rock bands of being excessive? Please.

The guitar arrangement of Big Love is the only other one that really offerered a fresh presentation of something. Lindsey's guitar work on that one just rocks. I can't believe he buried that beautiful guitar part so badly on the studio version. I prefer the studio version without Lindsey's yelping but it was still a cool new way to hear the song.

Props for "Say You Love Me" too. Yee-haw!

The rest of them didn't improve upon the studio versions at all. "Over My Head" which is already one of Christine's most boring songs comes across as even more boring live. I prefer "The Chain" in it's original key on the album version, where Lindsey doesn't annoyingly hog vocal space. "Tusk" is also much better on the studio version when Lindsey isn't incessantly yelping at the end. "You Make Lovin' Fun" is more easy-listening semi-funk than cool boogie without the clavinet part.

The Dance is OK if you have a DVD so you can watch it too but I think it would be fairly worthless in the CD format. I do really enjoy watching parts of it sometimes but I'll put in one of their CD's before I watch it. It's my least favorite recording of theirs I have.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the Dance versions of "Rhiannon," "Silver Springs," and "Landslide" better than the studio versions. The studio "Rhiannon" has never done much for me. The Live album version blows the Dance version out of the water, though.

I prefer the Dance versions of "Big Love" and "Say You Love Me," as well. As for the rest, they don't really differ much from the studio versions.

And I have to disagree about "Over My Head." It's one of my favorite Christine McVie songs, and I like the version on the Dance video. The one I like most, though, is the version on The Very Best Of, where the guitar is more dominant.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Songs that are better on The Dance...

The Chain - Much more powerfull

Everywhere

I'm So Afraid

Big Love

Go Insane
Old 10-05-2003, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain- I prefer it from the Mirage video... Love Lindsey's demonic screams

Dreams- Rumours

Everywhere- The Dance. I think it showcases Chris' voice a lot more.

Gold Dust Woman- Tie. Actually, I love it on this tour.

I'm So Afraid- ANY live version. I thinik he sounds like a girl on the album version, lol.

Bleed to Love Her- The Dance

Gypsy- The Mirage video

Big Love- A tie, for I love the cheesy 80's version too.

Go Insane- The Dance

Landslide- The Dance

Say You Love Me- A tie between the original, the live album version, and The Dance version.

You Make Lovin' Fun- Original, because the live versions are missing the harmonies

Silver Springs- This tour

Over My Head- Live album version

Rhiannon- Live album version

Go Your Own Way- Any and all versions. Da da.

Tusk- The Dance, the Tusk documentary, and the Mirage video.

Don't Stop- The Dance

Songbird- ANY version. As long as there are no credits and pictures of other band members looking really ridiculous *cough*the Tusk documentary and the Tango video*cough* playing when it's supposed to be just Chris.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Oh, ok. You got me in too.

"The Chain": Can't choose here. Lindsey showcases his improved fingerpicking on this one and his screaming at the end brings chills to one's back, but the original has those now impossible-to-reproduce Buckingham Nicks '70s harmonies.

"Dreams": The original is far more magical, while on stage these days it's just a run-through. But it's still fun to listen how Stevie changes the atmosphere of the studio recording with her voice.

"Everywhere": It's my least favourite Rumours line-up song, but I like it on the Dance because the '80s synth-backing is missing.

“Gold Dust Woman”: The original easily. What once was a harrowing performance from the grave is now a fake, theatrical show-off. The scream comes off calculated and I’ve always laughed at her ridiculous antics in the video. But then again, it’s better that she’s alive singing the other songs like she means it. They should drop this one though.

“I’m So Afraid”: I love every version of this one, but since the solo is very calculated here, then anything before the Out Of The Cradle tour will do.

“Bleed To Love Her”: The solo at the end of the SYW version makes the Dance one unnecessary, although I do love the “whoah-whoahs” at the end.

“Gypsy”: I guess it was intentionally made to sound like the studio version. The studio version still wins and it’s followed by the Mirage tour versions.

“Big Love”: It’s a complete transformation. Impossible to say then, although the Dance one will have people reacting to it immediately.

“Go Insane”: See above. Although I still play this one more than the studio cut.

“Landslide”: The Dance, and not because of those kisses or anything like that. It just feels so much more resonant these days, when Stevie actually has grown older. The warmth in her voice just wasn’t there in the original. And it’s good that Lindsey has learned to play the piece entirely on his own and doesn’t need any help in the solo section.

“Say You Love Me”: The Dance again. The speed makes all the difference and the camp is fun.

“You Make Lovin’ Fun”: Original. They’re quite identical.

“My Little Demon”: On the GOS version the guitar isn’t that fiery and the tempo isn’t as fast. So it’s The Dance, although I like that demo version too.

“Silver Springs”: The 1976/1977 versions. That’s where the intensity lies.

“Over My Head”: No noticeable changes, so it’s the original.

“Rhiannon”: The 1980 live album. Although I do like it mellow too.

“Go Your Own Way”: Since Ken Caillat and Richard Dashut used different takes for the final solo, it’s impossible to reproduce it live like it was in the studio. The 1980 live album has Neil Young-like distortion parts in the solo, and sometimes Lindsey went for a jangly sound at the end. So I guess any version will do in the end.

“Tusk”: Those screams are worth a fortune. It lacks the acoustic guitar solo, but otherwise beats the album version.

“Don’t Stop”: Even a tent isn’t as campy as the Dance version. That’s why I love it.

“Songbird”: The studio, because she starts talking at the end of the Dance version.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bluegrass is in my soul so Id have to say Im tickled by Say You Love Me and the banjo entrance.

I love both versions for the rest of the songs.

Im alone now, with my thoughts...
Old 10-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The cuts on "The Dance" that I really love are:

Silver Springs -- the studio track is one of the best things Fleetwood Mac has ever done, but the '97 live version is an enthralling, modern look into the band's heart

You Make Loving Fun -- like Silver Springs, the studio track is one of Fleetwood Mac's shining moments on record, but the '97 live version is so well played & sung (Christine's vocal on this is the best lead vocal on the whole album) that it stands pretty proudly beside the original

Everywhere -- propulsive little guitar riff courtesy of Lindsey

Temporary One, Sweet Girl, Bleed to Love Her, My Little Demon

Say You Love Me -- inspired reworking

As far as most of the others, I prefer either the studio tracks or performances from the past.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer the Dance version for these songs:

Say You Love Me
Rhiannon
Tusk
Don't Stop

I prefer the studio version for these songs:

The Chain
I'm So Afraid
Big Love
Landslide
Silver Springs

The rest of the songs I have no preference either way. I hardly listen to the CD version, but I LOVE the Dance DVD. It's just about as good as the Mirage video.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
[i] “Silver Springs”: The 1976/1977 versions. That’s where the intensity lies.
[/B]
i would agree with you, but the dance version is very intense! she's basically screaming at lindsey. i'd say that was intense it was like the predictions of the song had come true, here we are 20 years later and this song has "followed you down" and all those emotions of stevie's are finally "haunting" him, but it's on the radio now!!! that was more intense for me than the 70's version. jmo
Old 10-05-2003, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by face of glass
“Tusk”: Those screams are worth a fortune. It lacks the acoustic guitar solo, but otherwise beats the album version.
Quote:
"The Chain": Can't choose here. Lindsey showcases his improved fingerpicking on this one and his screaming at the end brings chills to one's back
Wait. You guys like when Lindsey does this crap? I think it ruins the song, especially on Tusk. If I was in charge of editing the Dance I would have took all that stuff out. It's agitating.