The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why does everyone say Lindsey Buckingham IS Fleetwood Mac?

Why, oh why does everyone seem to think that Lindsey Buckingham IS Fleetwood Mac? I can't even go to amazon.com and read one stupid review without someone saying how he steals the show and he is the best.

Am I the only one who likes the women in this band more then Lindsey? I like Stevie so much better then Lindsey.... and I like Christine so much better then Lindsey. Not that he is not great, but I am so sick of everyone thinking that he is the best, or he is the star of fleetwood mac.

Does anyone want to debate this topic? Please, I am very bored!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Why oh why does everyone seem to think Lindsey Buckingham IS Fleetwood Mac."

* Not everyone thinks Lindsey Buckingham IS Fleetwood Mac.

* Why, oh why? For the same reasons you prefer Stevie and Christine.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Stevie and Lindsey both have different strengths and weaknesses. I find it impossible to declare one ultimately "better" than the other (and I'm not just trying to be diplomatic!) No offense, but the truth is a topic like this goes nowhere and invites trouble. The reason is that there will always be those who love one or the other more and, as an unfortunate result, often use such an opportunity to build one up by cutting the other one down. I'm afraid you'll find that's what this thread will soon degenerate into (although I hope I'm wrong).

Old 09-30-2003, 09:59 PM
Ledgie

I am going to presume that people are talking about the recent tour for Say You Will. If you have been to a show or two or more, it is hard not to take note of the fact that Lindsey really does stand out considerably compared to Stevie. Stevie doesn't do a lot of fan interaction these days on stage while Lindsey...well Lindsey is out of his mind! I love Stevie to pieces and she certainly has her strong points to say the least, but Lindsey interacts constantly with the audience and is by far the craziest up there on the stage. He completely lets loose for all to see every night. If I am not mistaken, he mentioned something about how being able to hide behind his guitar and make a fool out of himself helps him to be more comfortable on stage. I am pretty sure he said that quite awhile ago, but something tells me it still holds true today. Also, since Chris isn't there, the show is most definitely more guitar-driven and Lindsey takes complete advantage of that. GYOW, ISA, and Come all have very strong guitar solos attached to them...especially Come and ISA. He also does some crazy lead stuff for a lot of other songs too. People say he steals the show because...well...at least this time around, he does seem to steal the show every night.

Just my .02

Tomara
Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey is by far the craziest up there on the stage
Mick Defintely gives him a run for his money for sure. And especially on the Second leg so does Stevie. Actually as far as energy levels go I'd rate them: Mick, Lindsey, then Stevie RIGHT behind Lindsey. And John is just this great anchor leveling them all out.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Talking LB

I think that Lindsey has been "unleashed" a bit on this tour. He's getting the press push because he's the most exciting element of the show. I've seen them twice on this tour, and Stevie was boring. Voice was great, her persona was blah. Lindsey is also the most talented member of the band, arguably. And to top it all off, he's a brilliant guitarist who is just now getting some of the recognition he's always deserved. Finally, a personal opinion here, but all the Mac albums without Lindsey haved sucked.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Oh mercy!!

This thread COULD stay civil and SHOULD stay civil...and I hope it does. OPINION, PEOPLE OPINION.

Some people (myself included) believe Lindsey IS FM because he does alot of stuff. He writes, sings, plays guitar, engineers, produces, etc. I think the fact Rumours is this huge phenomenon making Rumours-era FM a classic, huge band in music history and the fact Lindsey had a huge say in Rumours as to the sound, etc, he's looked at by his fans as being the IT of FM. I also believe he is the most talented member of FM because of the fact I stated above, all that he does. I'm not saying the others ARE NOT talented, they are. Also, the fact that the band let him do Tusk kinda says to ME that they were like "You are the leader, g'head."

Now, I'm not even including PRE-Rumours in this argument because first of all, it doesn't apply and secondly, I am a fan and VERY thankful to EVERYONE...Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Bob Welch, etc. for keeping the dream alive as FM became the Fireflies FM which exploded.

*These are MY opinions, I'm not saying ANYONE that is or was in FM are not talented. I love em ALL for various reasons. This band NEVER ceases to amaze me with the amount of sheer talent, charisma, charm and strength they have. Everyone who's been part of its history should get the dang recognition they frickin deserve!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 09-30-2003 at 10:53 PM..
Old 09-30-2003, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I started this thread and asked this question. Yes, I have been to the Say You Will concert this year. Even though, obviously Lindsey is the most "show-offy" (not that that is a bad thing), I still say Stevie is just as important. She is subtle and classy and sings wonderully without having to get up there and be insane. I guess I just really love how she can be so wonderful without it seeming like she is trying to show off, does that make any sense?

Not to start anything, but I almost cringed when Mick did his drum solo. I also didn't find Lindsey's doggy style guitar playing that thrilling.

I just love how Stevie is so great and it is so easily acheived. She is not up there straining her voice or telling people "I can't hear you" like Mick, to the audience.

While she may not be bouncing off the walls at the concerts, she still shows class and talent, without making a fool out of herself. (And I am not saying any members of Fleetwood Mac do make a fool of themselves, I am just using that as an example)

Does anyone understand what I am trying to say? I know I am not making the most sense...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up You make sense Chris

We all connect with these members differently. Some people love Lindsey's craziness, some love Stevie's whispy, mysterious persona, others like Christine's classiness, etc. It's different for all of us.

Personally, overall, I like male singers better than female, but I do like a few female singers.

There are most definitely lots of people who don't like Lindsey's pawing action and his over-the-top antics he's doin' this go-round, but hey, ya can't please everyone all the time.

One more thing, in response to Lindsey going crazy and Stevie not having to go insane, back in the day, when Miss Stevie was in her altered state, she would be very wild onstage, sans any instrument excecpt a tambo, she would be indecipherable at times and kinda scary too. Of course, like I said, she was altered, but still, nonetheless, she was very crazy...i.e. Red Rocks. She was insane like he is today, only in a different way.

Today, she's off drugs and YAY to that, although, we get a more subdued Stevie, but would you rather have an unhealthy Stevie giving a wild, crazy show or a healthy, more subdued Stevie giving a good show? I pick the latter. I wish she still had that crazy fire in her, but I understand why she's not that way anymore.

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 09-30-2003 at 11:39 PM..
Old 09-30-2003, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Christy is right on the money with this one. Lindsey crafts the whole album in the end. He wears the most hats, and I believe he invests the most time. If Lindsey IS Fleetwood Mac, it's because he is the guy with the big vision. Stevie does her thing and does it well. I suspect she would never want the responsibility Lindsey takes on (Tusk anyone?).

As far as the concerts, Lindsey IS stealing the show. He's really performing, while Stevie isn't nearly so animated. I don't fault her for this. And I don't think any of this makes her "less important". Stevie is an important part of Fleetwood Mac. How could anyone say she's not? She has her thing and she does it like no other (although I've recently decided I think it's time for Stevie to hang up the witch clothes) and that is what makes Stevie great...her inherent Stevieness.

You obviously feel closer to Stevie, and no doubt Stevie is used to getting the biggest piece of cake, but we must make room for all of them...

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 10-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think the band is very much aware of the difficulties Stevie is having with menopause, and Lindsey is helping to compensate for that by being more interactive with the audience, etc.

I imagine Stevie is also happy to let him have his time in the spotlight, since Lindsey has been away from the public eye since 1997, and she has toured twice since then.

She's not taking a backseat to him on the current tour... she's just giving him room to move and shine.
And I think it says a lot about both of them, that they're able to play off each other this way, and to balance one another. They're not trying to show each other up anymore.

As for the question... "Is Lindsey Fleetwood Mac?"
The answer is, no.

Pretty much since the day she first set foot on stage with the band, people have also been saying that Stevie IS Fleetwood Mac, and that's not true either.

No one person is "Fleetwood Mac."
They each play very important and unique roles, and each is just as integral to the band's appeal as the others.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since 1975, Stevie has been the STAR of the group. Now Lindsey's getting some credit. He deserves it, and, looking at Stevie's behaviour on stage and in interviews, she agrees on that one....

Old 10-01-2003, 07:29 AM

Well, I'll admit (and duck as I say this ) I was never a big fan of Lindsey's...Stevie is what drew me to Fleetwood Mac and what keeps me interested...HOWEVER, I appreciate and respect what he does for this band...let's face it...look at how far Fleetwood Mac got WITHOUT him....nowhere!!!

There were what?? 2 Albums w/out Lindsey right....Behind The Mask (which did include Stevie...and her material IMO was less than stellar) and Time (which was w/out Stevie and Lindsey and does anybody even own it LOL)....Clearly Lindsey IS the creative force for Fleetwood Mac...without him...they are basically lost sheep IMO.

As far as this tour goes...I haven't had the privilege to see a show..(I haven't even had the privilege to see the outside world since I broke my leg...but that's another rant!! ) but Lindsey seems to be having THE TIME OF HIS LIFE...Imagine for how many years has he "played second fiddle" to Stevie and her whirling and twirling and powerful performances of old...this guy is FINALLY getting his own recognition as an integral part of Fleetwood Mac....Not to mention more stage time....and ya know what...He seems happier than I've ever seen him on stage....so in that respect...YES...this time around Lindsey Buckingham IS what is making Fleetwood Mac a top draw again...I commend him!!

Fleetwood Mac is like your hand....hold up your hand and take the thumb away...(say the thumb is Christine) you have four fingers still able to stand tall...now say Lindsey is the middle finger (or Stevie if you prefer)...fold the middle finger down...your ring finger while still standing....it's a little crooked...the ring finger being Stevie...can stand on her own but something ain't quite right....Clearly Mick and John are "pointer and pinky" 'cause really what else are they gonna do??

I know it's a stupid analogy, but i've only had one cup of coffee this morning

All in all it all boils down to personal opinion and preference....but we can all agree that ALL of them...TOGETHER...is what makes magic happen
Old 10-01-2003, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey Buckingham is a tremendous guitarist, no doubt. His songs are far from being my favorites though. Songwriting is his (admittedly) weak department, and although he came up with some great stuff for Rumours the rest of the stuff he did with the Mac is hit or miss, especially with Tusk and Mirage. It's his strengths as an arranger, instrumentalist, and producer that I respect more than his songs.

As far as songs go, the stuff they did with Bob Welch can be spotty at times too but overall I like Bob's great songs better than Lindseys great songs. I'll take Silver Heels or Night Watch over Eyes Of The World or Go Your Own Way any day. There's good stuff in their entire catalog, Lindsey just happened to be one of the many other musicians that passed through the band. Although he deserves his due in certain areas when it comes to songs Christine, Bob, and Stevie are the ones that really deliver.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ducking as i say this......

I think Stevie IS Fleetwood Mac. Regardless of Lindsey's on stage antics on this tour, let's face it, his solo albums have flopped. I know the albums without Lindsey didn't do that great, but people DID show up for the concerts (Tango/BTM/Best Of) with Billy Burnett and Rick Vito because they were coming to see STEVIE.

When Stevie did not tour and Bekka took her place (not that anyone can take Stevie's place) fans did not show up for that tour and sales for the Time album were horrible. Hmmm...

Fleetwood Mac concert without Lindsey = ticket sales
Fleetwood Mac concert without Stevie= Zilch

My opinion: I think if Fleetwood Mac had Lindsey but no Stevie, ticket and CD sales would flop.

Her solo albums sell, his flop. Fact.