Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:43 PM
Ledgie

Default "Purple Dancer"

Has this track been released on any official CD's? It's the only released FM track I have never heard. Was it ever released on any compilations? I would have purchased the single long ago, but I no longer have a turntable.

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just recently purchased a used copy of the vinyl 45, but as far as I know it has never been released on CD.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Yeah, I'm sure macfan57 is right, it's never been on a legit CD that I know of.

As for compilations albums it may be on, I'm not sure of any others but it is on this one:

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/albums/bestoffm.htm

...as this is the one I have in my collection that represents this track. I've been hashing around the idea of getting the Dragonfly/Purple dancer single for my collection instead but this album also has the original single mix of "World in harmony" as well so I'm hanging on to this album until these two tracks (in the way in which they are presented on this album) get released on CD.

John
Old 08-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that German "Best of..." WAS released on CD, but quickly discontinued. Not that that info helps us much NOW.

Isn't that "Best of.." version of "World In Harmony" one of the versions on either Vaudeville Years or Show Biz Blues??
Old 08-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile WOH

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I think that German "Best of..." WAS released on CD, but quickly discontinued. Not that that info helps us much NOW.

Isn't that "Best of.." version of "World In Harmony" one of the versions on either Vaudeville Years or Show Biz Blues??
Hmm, I didn't know about the quickly discontinued German Best of CD, I'll have to do some sniffing around on that, thanks for the heads up.

Well, it could very well be due to my turntable, surface noise, or many other factors coming in to play but when I listen to WOH on the German Best of vinyl (and then on VY & SBB), it seems, especially in the middle bridge sections that the rhythm guitar is more echoy, possibly channeled twice, once in the left, once in the right, (like what used to go on in the "simulated stereo" recording days) and the solos are different.

Aurally speaking, the SBB & VY "versions" do sound like Reprise studio outtakes from the same sessions as the single/German best of "version", I'm sure the SBB one is a different take though the Vaudeville one may very well be the same version as the one on the German Best of (i.e. the single B-side version) but a "non echoy mix" and/or perhaps edited down on the single (with the Vaudeville track being the full cut, if it is in fact the same version) as the solos in the middle parts of the tracks again sound different to me but with some familiar licks.

Again this could just be due to the mixes used, hard to say though. I'm leaning towards the VY & German Best of/B-side single cuts being different versions (as different takes, from the same sessions) but I did see that on "Vaudeville..." that they list "The Green manalishi" as an "unissued version" and I'm sure all that is on there is the same version as the single but without the echoes and end fade (therefore being a different "mix" as opossed to "version" but whatever) so it's tough to weigh up both sides here as there's credible evidence on both sides.

ChiliD, do you (or anyone else for that matter) have any theories on this? I don't mean to make anyone dig through the archives for comparison but just for conversations sake, it's only a three minute song so listening to each of the three "versions" described above one after the other, it'd just take ya less then 15 minutes.

John
Old 08-08-2003, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No, as far as I'm concerned, the track "The Purple Dancer" is still not available on cd format.

The only way to get is to buy the original 45, so why don't you try at www.gemm.com or at www.netsounds.com?

Good luck!

Mario.