Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default the peter green guitar school

this has been suggested recently by becca, so i'll give it a go here.

there's hardly anything really new under the sun, and guitarists are no exception to this rule. almost every guitarist I know more or less modelled his style on others'. and like peter green cited to have been impressed by (quite different) players like b.b. king and hank marvin (and many more, of course), he himself and (mainly) his playing during his time with fleetwood mac has served as a huge influence to lots of other axemen (including yours truly). some of them are quite prominent, whereas other names are hardly ever heard and known. here's to shed some light on the latter ones.

I already mentioned a couple of them rather off-topically in earlier threads. therefor that might have gone down more unnoticed than not to a lot of you out there, so I'll start off with them.

(TERENCE) "SNOWY" WHITE's influence by green certainly cannot be overheard - in his style and also his sound (especially his "greeny out-of-phase" tone!). as with many other listeners I first became aware of him through his prominent participation on the "in the skies" album, before he moved on to the likes of thin lizzy, roger waters and pursueing an admittedly more low-key solo career ("bird of paradise"). I'd like to lure you to give a listen to the aforementioned "bird" (the full-length version!) and tracks from the two more obscure "blues agency" albums (where he sadly doesn't sing himself).

and to round it off for the moment being - my other suggestion to check out is a german guitarist by the name of GREGOR HILDEN. apart from green you can also trace other influences like larry carlton, jeff beck and wes montgomery (for example) in his style. you best start to investigate in the following cds: "compared to what…?" ('96), "west coast blues" ('98), "golden voice blues" ('06) and "blue in red" ('08). there's also an instrumental best-of with the title "sweet rain".

I'm really keen on getting to know other guitarists in that sort of musical vein of a peter green to add to my record collection - so ANY input on this matter from you is VERY MUCH appreciated. so how about it . . . ?!

martin
Old 01-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
this has been suggested recently by becca, so i'll give it a go here.
(TE)
I'm really keen on getting to know other guitarists in that sort of musical vein of a peter green to add to my record collection - so ANY input on this matter from you is VERY MUCH appreciated. so how about it . . . ?!

martin
I'm not sure I can recommend anyone who sounds like Peter, but I remember reading that Ted Turner, one of the guitarist in Wishbone Ash ,saying he saw Peter playing live with Fleetwood Mac, and knowing that he (Ted )wanted to move people the way Peter did (I had a similar experience )
Wishbone Ash were a great Band with twin lead guitarists ,both fine bluesy--ish players (the other being Andy Powell )and were worthy successors of the twin lead guitar format taking it to where Peter and Danny may have gone with it I recommend their first two albums Wishbone Ash and Argus (particularly good drum sound) (I’m doing this from memory incidentally !)Isaw them at a later stage and they were deafiningly loud and had gone a bit glam rock !

b)People who admire Peter :

(1)Dave Gilmour ,who has done versions of Albatross . Though I liked them I was not a huge Pink Floyd fan post Syd Barrat . Funnily enough though , I do think ,at his most expressive Gilmore can match Peter's soulful playing! (I did think Dark side of the Moon was a great record and I warm to them now)

(2)Midge Ure - a bit of a surprise, but I saw a TV prog where he was talking about his career and he mentioned how Peter greatly influenced him and explaining about Peter’s songs -Man of the World was one ,and playing bits of them to make his point !
Old 01-21-2015, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
(. . .) I remember reading that Ted Turner, one of the guitarist in Wishbone Ash ,saying he saw Peter playing live with Fleetwood Mac, and knowing that he (Ted )wanted to move people the way Peter did (I had a similar experience )
Wishbone Ash were (. . .) worthy successors of the twin lead guitar format taking it to where Peter and Danny may have gone with it I recommend their first two albums Wishbone Ash and Argus (particularly good drum sound) (I’m doing this from memory incidentally !)Isaw them at a later stage and they were deafiningly loud and had gone a bit glam rock !
yes, thd, the early ash were (and still are) one of the most innovative and extremely melodic guitar bands of the time, and the comparison with the green/kirwan pairing is pretty apt. i always preferred ted turner (a fine lap-steel player to boot) to andy powell, so i think quite remarkable what he said about peter. and for me personally the band lost most of it's magic when turner left the band. they never were the same with laurie wisefield, or ever after (despite the later reunion of the original line-up).
thanks for pointing out.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not sure I can recommend anyone who sounds like Peter, but I remember reading that Ted Turner, one of the guitarist in Wishbone Ash ,saying he saw Peter playing live with Fleetwood Mac, and knowing that he (Ted )wanted to move people the way Peter did (I had a similar experience )
Wishbone Ash were a great Band with twin lead guitarists ,both fine bluesy--ish players (the other being Andy Powell )and were worthy successors of the twin lead guitar format taking it to where Peter and Danny may have gone with it I recommend their first two albums Wishbone Ash and Argus (particularly good drum sound) (I’m doing this from memory incidentally !)Isaw them at a later stage and they were deafiningly loud and had gone a bit glam rock !

b)People who admire Peter :

(1)Dave Gilmour ,who has done versions of Albatross . Though I liked them I was not a huge Pink Floyd fan post Syd Barrat . Funnily enough though , I do think ,at his most expressive Gilmore can match Peter's soulful playing! (I did think Dark side of the Moon was a great record and I warm to them now)

(2)Midge Ure - a bit of a surprise, but I saw a TV prog where he was talking about his career and he mentioned how Peter greatly influenced him and explaining about Peter’s songs -Man of the World was one ,and playing bits of them to make his point !
Quote:
yes, thd, the early ash were (and still are) one of the most innovative and extremely melodic guitar bands of the time, and the comparison with the green/kirwan pairing is pretty apt. i always preferred ted turner (a fine lap-steel player to boot) to andy powell, so i think quite remarkable what he said about peter. and for me personally the band lost most of it's magic when turner left the band. they never were the same with laurie wisefield, or ever after (despite the later reunion of the original line-up).
thanks for pointing out.
Love Wishbone Ash. The twin guitars DO sound like early FMac. What also is interesting about them is that bassist Martin Turner's voice is VERY similar sounding to Danny Kirwan's. Some of those early (first 4 albums) songs sound like they could've fit on Then Play On or Kiln House.

Speaking of Midge Ure, I had (sometime ago, need to look for it again) a copy of Ultravox doing "Man Of The World" live in concert. Really great version, too.

The Moody Blues' Justin Hayward also seems to be a "Peter Green" disciple, but more in a subtler way & not so obvious. The sparseness & economical style of playing harks back to Peter Green. Also, the expressiveness of his playing, too. (that and he also has recorded a cover of "Man Of The World")
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Midge Ure - a bit of a surprise, but I saw a TV prog where he was talking about his career and he mentioned how Peter greatly influenced him and explaining about Peter’s songs -Man of the World was one ,and playing bits of them to make his point !
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Speaking of Midge Ure, I had (sometime ago, need to look for it again) a copy of Ultravox doing "Man Of The World" live in concert. Really great version, too.

The Moody Blues' Justin Hayward also seems to be a "Peter Green" disciple (. . .) and he also has recorded a cover of "Man Of The World")
midge ure's affection for peter and the mac really came as a surprise to me, and i just checked out 2 live versions on youtube - a li'l bit clumsy on the guitar, but really nice. interesting that during the solo he combined notes of the 2 simultaneous lead guitars of the original.

but justin hayward? well . . . , i listened to his orchestral version with mike batt (i don't know if he ever did another one) and for my taste this is waaaay too much on the sugary side. the orchestral solo part sounds like right out of one of those 60's winnetou movies with pierre brice and lex barker. i could virtually see peter green on horseback, riding into the setting sun - brrrrr!

but, hey, we're already on the verge of drifting out of the thread!

thanks for contributing anyway!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

nothing new really (for all those in the know, of course) - but there's this norwegian guitarist by the name of ESPEN LILAND who played on jeremy's "precious little" album. his great solo on "bleeding heart" displays remarkable reminiscences of greeny's style and sound. i haven't dug any deeper in his work than that cd yet. i only know he played/plays with the notodden blues band. anybody here with more knowledge about this guy?
Old 01-22-2015, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

NIGEL WATSON...
Old 01-23-2015, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
NIGEL WATSON...
. . . mentioning nigel watson: one time at a splinter group concert - the place was jam-packed and i was right in front of the stage, which was pretty low, so that people in the back could only see the heads of the band. when i was talking to some guys after the gig, they were over the moon at the "fact" that peter obviously had retained his playing skills of his heydays with the mac again - they hadn't noticed that it was nigel watson playing the lion's share of the solos that sounded so much like they were peter's.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:28 PM
Ledgie

Bill Gibons will talk about PG in any interview how much he influece him.
You can tell just by listening Moving Sidewalks and first Zztop album
Some songs like Jesus Left Chicago live in Germany are pure PG attack feel
Old 01-23-2015, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Bill Gibons will talk about PG in any interview how much he influece him.
You can tell just by listening Moving Sidewalks and first Zztop album
YES, SIR!!! every now and then it surprises me how many people just don't seem to be aware of the homages billy paid to greeny on the top's early albums. for me the prime examples are "just got back from baby's" and the intro to "brown sugar" (both from that "first album") and, of course, "blue jean blues" (from "fandango").

and - tryin' to drag your attention once more to this highly talented fella from germany: i just learned about a new cd by gregor hilden entitled "in phase". again a whole lotta sublime and very tasty playing comprising varied musical styles, but always with the blues! here's where you can check out samples of the album:
http://www.acoustic-music.de/epages/...cts/319.1534.2
(watch out for "naylor's blues"!)
hope you enjoy it!
Old 01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hadn't thought of Billy Gibbons before, makes sense!

I listened to the first two solo studio albums of Rory Gallagher and I still think he must have listened to some Peter Green to have done some of the tracks the way he did. Mind you, he was also heavily into Davy Graham and John Martyn and many others not so associated with the blues.

And I still swear there was an obvious answer to Albatross on Pink Floyd's Meddle album. David Gilmour was listening I bet.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Billy Gibbons' website:
Quote:
The question: did the live appearances propel the sale of ZZ Top’s First Album or was it the other way around? In some markets, the record arrived way before they did. Int he summer of ‘70 the record got in the hands of one of their great friends and mentor, Walter Baldwin. Originally from Houston, he had migrated to Memphis.

They were recording the First Album when Walter rang Billy up, playing Peter Green’s original Fleetwood Mac over the phone. It was so totally right that they raced into the studio holding on to that bit of inspiration. That marked the major shift that solidified ZZ Top’s personal preference: Bluesrock in the abstract.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
From Billy Gibbons' website:
(. . .) They were recording the First Album when Walter rang Billy up, playing Peter Green’s original Fleetwood Mac over the phone. It was so totally right that they raced into the studio holding on to that bit of inspiration. That marked the major shift that solidified ZZ Top’s personal preference: Bluesrock in the abstract.
i wasn't aware of this immediate correlation - very interesting, indeed!

and here's another humble disciple displaying his love for the green god, covering "watch out" ("track one!"):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPha2ZmVF3U
pretty unknown guitar player . . . and singer . . . and probably quite rightly so . . .

Last edited by lazy poker; 01-24-2015 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: additional info added
Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPha2ZmVF3U
pretty unknown guitar player . . . and singer . . . and probably quite rightly so . . .
I think this sounds just fine !
Old 01-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did a search to see if I could find any reference to Ted Turner crediting Peter as his inspiration ,but drew a blank (largely cause of a certain other Ted Turner ,media mogul ,who monopolises the searches ,I presume !)
I did, however, come up with this ,from Andy Powell ,which is interesting, re what happened to Ted, and which pretty much expresses how I felt when I saw Fleetwood Mac for the first time !

https://www.facebook.com/wishbone.as...51748853161463

Last edited by THD; 01-24-2015 at 01:42 PM..