Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default TTFTS and FDJ live?

Do you think we'll ever hear To Try For The Sun and Flying Down Juniper in a live setting? They're the only 2 songs from UTS which haven't been played yet at some point or another. To be honest, if he never does FDJ live I'll not care since I don't know how well it would come across live, but TTFTS would be really cool to hear done.

Personally I'm glad that so many of the songs from UTS have been done live because there are plenty of band I know that play maybe one or two songs from their newest album and fill the rest up with the "classics and hits" and it can be pretty depressing. He's done 7 of them at some point on tour for the album and two of them (SGCYM and IAW) were only done for Soundstage. I think it's so cool to see him do so many of them when he could have easily filled the set with more Mac stuff and just done one or two of the new ones.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't care much for Flying Down Juniper, but I am always interested in hearing a live arrangement. I'm very open-minded. But I'd love a live rendition of To Try For the Sun. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I don't care much for Flying Down Juniper, but I am always interested in hearing a live arrangement. I'm very open-minded. But I'd love a live rendition of To Try For the Sun. It's one of my favorite tracks on the album.
I would give anything for Lindsey to cover Hurdy Gurdy Man!

Are you listening, Lindsey??
Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Oh god, I love Juniper..it's so lush and gorgeous and I would love to hear it live. He would prob do the most amazing arrangement for the live piece. $.02
Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Flying Down Juniper - No Way

Try for the Sun - HELL YES! Its like #3 of my top 25 songs played on my Ipod!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Under The Skin does well live-which it does, Juniper will too. I really can't split those songs up. I love them. They're sistersongs like Not That Funny and IKINW are brothers.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been dying to hear "Try for the Sun" live ever since I first heard the GOS version a few years ago. I think it would be incredibly moving and relevent for Stevie and Lindsey to do this song during the "acoustic" set (along with Gypsy!), with Stevie providing slight backing vocals "Red Rover" style . Lindsey should introduce the background story of the song so I think everyone would "get it" and have a good response even though it is a "rarer" song that they seem so afraid to do (Why did I write that like a Zagat review? Lol.)
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierocks87 View Post
I've been dying to hear "Try for the Sun" live ever since I first heard the GOS version a few years ago. I think it would be incredibly moving and relevent for Stevie and Lindsey to do this song during the "acoustic" set (along with Gypsy!), with Stevie providing slight backing vocals "Red Rover" style . Lindsey should introduce the background story of the song so I think everyone would "get it" and have a good response even though it is a "rarer" song that they seem so afraid to do (Why did I write that like a Zagat review? Lol.)

What's the "background" story of the song? Is there a special, private meaning that Lindsey attaches to that Donovan track? (Again: "Try for the Sun" is wonderful, but "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is the greatest song of all time. . .)
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
What's the "background" story of the song? Is there a special, private meaning that Lindsey attaches to that Donovan track? (Again: "Try for the Sun" is wonderful, but "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is the greatest song of all time. . .)
Lindsey, never cover hurdy gurdy man, the ultimate coverversion is already made: the version of the Butthole Surfers.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Lindsey, never cover hurdy gurdy man, the ultimate coverversion is already made: the version of the Butthole Surfers.
shatter my dreams. . .
Old 10-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
I thought Lindsey wrote it when I first heard it--

"We huddled in the derelict building...the gypsy girl and I...."

--that made me think of Lindsey and Stevie hanging out in his family's coffee plant? (i think I heard that, or read that somewhere).

I think FLYING DOWN JUNIPER is one of the better songs on the record. The lyrics are very emotional. I'm amazed at how many people dont care for it.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I think FLYING DOWN JUNIPER is one of the better songs on the record. The lyrics are very emotional. I'm amazed at how many people dont care for it.
me too. I love it. It's a childhood picture.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
shatter my dreams. . .
didn't mean that.

but The Surfers did a crackerversion.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I thought Lindsey wrote it when I first heard it--

"We huddled in the derelict building...the gypsy girl and I...."

--that made me think of Lindsey and Stevie hanging out in his family's coffee plant? (i think I heard that, or read that somewhere).
Yeah, she said it was spooky, so they used to lock themselves up in the one room with all their things. Ooh My Love reminds me of that too: the chamber where they spent all their time.

Lindsey sounded like Donovan wasn't happy that he was doing a cover, but that didn't deter Lindsey.

As for Juniper, when I heard that it was a street where he grew up, I guess I thought a little differently about it. But before that, I just had this impression of dead children flying. It struck me as both saccharine and creepy. Now, I do perceive it in a more Citizen Kane way. Ruthless, rich old man dies and the last words from his lips are not about his publishing empire, wealth or power, but about a happy childhood memory of sliding down a snowbank on a beloved sled. In that sense, I can kind of get into all of the innocence and carefree things that the word Juniper conjures up for LB. But aside from the words, I don't like the music either.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't really hear Hurdy Gurdy Man as a song Lindsey would do, but I'd love to hear what he'd do to it make it his own just out of pure curiosity.