The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Wow! Solo Anthology on the charts?!

i did not expect that in a million years.

not sure whether this is 1CD version or 3CD version, but either way, i'm shocked and pleasantly surprised.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, I'm surprised too, in a good way! The publicity from Jimmy Kimmel and the lawsuit clearly helped- most interviews about the lawsuit have mentioned the Anthology. Good for him!

As for your question about which version charted, I don't know, but I could swear I've read that multiple disc releases count more, so if one copy of his 3 CD set sold, then it's like selling 3 copies. It was the same thing for the Chain 4 CD set. So that probably helped account for the high debut.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Are the complimentary CDs for ticket purchase counted? If so that accounts for nearly everyone sold I’d assume.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
Are the complimentary CDs for ticket purchase counted? If so that accounts for nearly everyone sold I’d assume.
yeah i'm not sure whether it's 1CD and 3CD ANthology that's on that chart. if it's 3CD then those that came together with the show tickets wouldn't count. if it's 1CD, and if those are counted (i think there are some rules now when they can and cannot count), then that number listed would basically be less then those tickets sold. like 15 venues 1k each.

either way, i'm shocked and excited to see this on the charts!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh wow, so music sells?? Someone may want to report this obscure fact back to FM
Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good job Lindsey! Glad to know that I helped put him there.

*Takes a bow.*

It's all I've been listening to since I got it. It's actually made me more interested in checking out all of his other records/dvds as well. Hopefully that will be the same for others out there too.

Beautiful and quite hypnotic song.

Last edited by jwd; 10-16-2018 at 06:11 PM..
Old 10-17-2018, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

there it is:

Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
there it is:

He SO deserves this! So happy for him.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Good job Lindsey! Glad to know that I helped put him there.

*Takes a bow.*

It's all I've been listening to since I got it. It's actually made me more interested in checking out all of his other records/dvds as well. Hopefully that will be the same for others out there too.

Beautiful and quite hypnotic song.
is he doing this live? I'm thinking not, but it'd be good.....

Sounds a bit like Love Is Here to Stay
Old 10-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
is he doing this live? I'm thinking not, but it'd be good.....

Sounds a bit like Love Is Here to Stay

According to the set lists I've seen posted, he isn't doing "Ride This Road". It would be a good one to put in the acoustic part of his concert. The man has so many good songs to play, I guess it's hard to fit them all in.

I never thought about it, but since you mentioned it, RTR does have a similar vibe to "Love Is Here To Stay". Here's a live version of the song to compare it with. And happier days with Chris. Love the song and thought it was great in concert.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:58 PM
elle
This message has been deleted by elle. Reason: double post
Old 10-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...tics-post-amas

Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Taylor Swift Gains After Politics Post & AMAs, John Lennon's 'Imagine' Returns

10/19/2018 by Keith Caulfield

Emma McIntyre/AMA2018/Getty Images For dcp
Taylor Swift accepts the award for Favorite Album - Pop/Rock onstage during the 2018 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on Oct. 9, 2018 in Los Angeles.

On the latest Billboard 200 albums chart (dated Oct. 20), the A Star Is Born soundtrack debuted atop the list, giving Lady Gaga her fifth leader and Bradley Cooper his first. The pair star in the movie of the same name, which bowed in theaters on Oct. 5. The soundtrack enters with 231,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Oct. 11, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 162,000 were in album sales.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the week’s most popular albums based on their overall consumption. That overall unit figure combines pure album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA).

Now, let’s take a closer look at some of the action on the rest of the Billboard 200:

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper's 'A Star Is Born' Soundtrack Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart

— Taylor Swift, reputation – No. 26 — In a week where Taylor Swift made a rare statement about politics and also opened the American Music Awards, the pop star collected a 27 percent gain in album sales in the week ending Oct. 11, according to Nielsen Music.

Swift shared a lengthy post via her Instagram account on Oct. 7 about the upcoming midterm elections on Nov. 6, remarking that in the past she had been “reluctant to publicly voice” her political opinions. She endorsed a pair of candidates and urged fans to register to vote. On Oct. 9, Swift opened ABC’s live broadcast of the AMAs with a performance of “I Did Something Bad” from her reputation album. Following her fourth win of the evening, for artist of the year, she told viewers to “get out and vote” on Nov. 6.

The AMAs and the buzz that her politics post generated spurred a 27 percent gain in album sales for Swift’s catalog of releases (rising to 9,000 sold). The reputation album rises 30-26 on the Billboard 200 with 19,000 equivalent album units earned (up 17 percent). Her overall equivalent album unit total for the week, across all her albums, increased 11 percent to 41,000 units earned.

Swift’s total track sales climbed 28 percent to 24,000, while her on-demand streams rose 8 percent to 56.5 million.

— Shawn Mendes, Shawn Mendes – No. 39 & Camila Cabello, Camila — No. 61 — Speaking of the AMAs, some other notable AMA-related gainers on the Billboard 200 include performers/winners Shawn Mendes (his self-titled set, 50-39 with 15,000 units; up 19 percent) and Camila Cabello (Camila darts 66-61 with 11,000 units; up 18 percent).

— Queen, Greatest Hits – No. 49 — Queen -- which was saluted at the AMAs with a performance of the band’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Panic! at the Disco -- sees its Greatest Hits ascend 54-49 (13,000 units; up 16 percent). The album also is goosed from general promotion around the biopic film about the band, Bohemian Rhapsody, due out in theaters in Nov. 2. (Panic!’s performance was introduced by three cast members of the movie, including Rami Malek, who plays Queen’s former front man, Freddie Mercury.)

J Balvin, Cardi B, and Bad Bunny perform onstage during the 2018 American Music Awards at Microsoft Theater on Oct. 9, 2018 in Los Angeles.
Read More
2018 American Music Awards Performances Ranked

— Lindsey Buckingham, Solo Anthology: The Best of Lindsey Buckingham – No. 53 — His first retrospective collection bows with 12,000 units earned. It comes a little more than a year after his collaborative set with Christine McVie (the aptly titled Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie) peaked at No. 17 on the list dated July 1, 2017. Meanwhile, his old band Fleetwood Mac (which is being sued by Buckingham), moves 96-99 with Rumours (8,000 units; up 1 percent).

— Quavo, Quavo Huncho – No. 66 — Quavo’s solo debut album, Quavo Huncho, gets an early start on the Billboard 200, as it arrives at No. 66 from less than a day of activity. The Migos member’s album was released at 9 p.m. ET on Oct. 11, giving it a partial day of chart activity in the tracking week ending Oct. 11. It bows with 11,000 equivalent album units earned. Industry forecasters expect the set to jump into the top three on the Oct. 27-dated tally, with perhaps around 100,000 units earned in the week ending Oct. 18.

— Journey, Journey’s Greatest Hits – No. 79 — Following the flurry of publicity surrounding Journey’s former singer Steve Perry releasing his new album, Traces (a debut at No. 6), the band’s Journey’s Greatest Hits climbs the chart. It motors 86-79 with 9,000 units earned, up 10 percent. The album also rises 7-4 on Top Catalog Albums.

Madonna attends the 2016 Billboard Women in Music on Dec. 9, 2016 in New York City.
Read More
Madonna Posts Video Snippet of Quavo Collab 'Champagne Rose,' a Tribute to Her 'Favorite Drink'

— John Lennon, Imagine – No. 83 — Following the former No. 1 album’s deluxe reissue on Oct. 5 (in a variety of formats, some with oodles of bonus material), it returns with 9,000 units earned (8,000 in album sales, up from a negligible figure the week previous). On Top Catalog Albums, it re-enters at No. 5.

— The Notorious B.I.G., Greatest Hits – No. 95 — The Notorious B.I.G.’s Greatest Hits drives 109-95 thanks to sale pricing and promotion in the iTunes Store. The former No. 1 album was discounted to $4.99 and climbs with 8,000 units earned (up 32 percent), of which album sales comprised 2,000 of that sum (up 208 percent).
Billboard Video
Avril Lavigne Discusses Writing 'Head Above Water' While Fighting Lyme Disease | Billboard

25. "Dead Man's Party" - Oingo Boingo

Before composer Danny Elfman crafted The Simpsons theme song and began his fruitful pairing with filmmaker Tim Burton, he was in a delightfully wackadoo new wave band with his brother called Oingo Boingo. The ska-flavored "Dead Man's Party" is proof that you don't need Weekend at Bernie's to boogie with the deceased.

24. "My Demons" - Starset

With urgent strings and ominous vocals, this fist-pumping anthem from Ohio rockers Starset is a nice Halloween companion to their other spookily-titled smash hit, "Monster."

23. "This Is Halloween" - Marilyn Manson

When Disney re-released the beloved 1993 flick The Nightmare Before Christmas in digital 3D in 2006, shock rock icon Marilyn Manson lent a deranged vocal performance to a song originally performed by a ghoulish assortment of ghosts, skeletons and a clown with a tear-away face.

22. "Runnin' With The Devil" - Van Halen

With a bass line so heavy Lucifer himself probably felt the reverberations, Van Halen's ode to fast-living – complete with David Lee Roth's banshee hail – kicked off their first album and had teenagers around the world throwing up the devil horns.

21. "Black Magic Woman" - Santana

Santana's swampy mixture of blues, Latin, rock and jazz on their cover of "Black Magic Woman" (originally written by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green!) is as bewitching now as when they released it in 1968.

20. "The Time Warp" - The Rocky Horror Picture Show Cast

Even if The Rocky Horror Picture Show is too willfully weird for your tastes, just try to not take a jump to the left or a step to the right when this deliriously catchy romp starts.

19. "Dragula" - Rob Zombie

Melding metal with pounding industrial electronics and an audio snippet of horror icon Christopher Lee, Rob Zombie's "Dragula" – named after a car from the TV show The Munsters – is an unstoppable demon of a tune, and just about as demonically fun as metal gets.

18. "Hells Bells" - AC/DC

Opening with funerary church bells, the Aussie rockers rip into one of their sickest riffs on this Back In Black classic – which takes on an even weirder resonance when you remember that this album was recorded in the wake of (and is titled in reference to) former singer Bon Scott's unexpected death.

17. "Zombie" - The Cranberries

The Irish group's dirge-like protest against the senseless deaths during The Troubles in Northern Ireland isn't anywhere near Night of the Living Dead territory, but every Halloween, it gets trotted out for playlists regardless of its intent.

16. "Creep" - Radiohead

Thom Yorke might be singing about being an outsider on this seminal '90s alt-rock hit, but all things creepy and crawly get a Halloween playlist boost in October, which is why this decidedly non-spooky song crops up here.

15. "Sympathy For The Devil" - The Rolling Stones

Mick Jagger might be the one singing from the perspective of Lucifer in this recounting of historical atrocities, but when Keith Richards unleashes that spiky guitar solo over the samba beat, it's clear that he's the real devil in the Stones.

14. "A Nightmare On My Street" - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince

If "A Nightmare on My Street" makes you think about A Nightmare on Elm Street, well, the rights holders of the film series felt the same way and served DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince with a lawsuit. Yes, at one point in history, Will Smith and Freddy Krueger were engaged in a terrifying battle about… copyright infringement.

13. "Bad Moon Rising" - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Songs about bad tidings don't usually sound this jubilant, but even when he was railing against war or The Man, a melodist like John Fogerty couldn't help but sound like he was having the time of his life. Its use in 1981's An American Werewolf In London helps solidify this as a Halloween classic.

12. "The Monster" - Eminem featuring Rihanna

Sure, it's more about inner demons than the kind that would drag you to hell, but Em & Rih's uber catchy "Monster" still gets a massive spike each October.

11. "Halloween Theme (Main Title)" - John Carpenter

With skittering synths and an eerie, uneasy piano riff that repeats ad infinitum, it's hard to listen to this one and not feel like someone is creeping up behind you. Tip your spray-painted William Shatner mask to John Carpenter, who crafted this theme song for a movie he also co-wrote and directed.

10. "Monster" - Skillet

A crunchy, anthemic ode to antiheroes, "Monster" finds the Tennessee rockers wailing about the demons lurking just beneath the skin: "I hate what I've become, the nightmare's just begun."

9. "Werewolves of London" - Warren Zevon

The werewolves might be from London, the menu might be Chinese, but the Professor Longhair-flavored piano riff is straight outta New Orleans (even though Warren Zevon wasn't). Few Halloween songs are this impossibly charming.

8. "Highway To Hell" - AC/DC

You probably think you want to end up on a path to paradise when you kick the bucket, but after hearing Bon Scott's libidinous shrieks about the virtues of a highway to hell, you might find yourself taking a damned detour.

7. "Don't Fear The Reaper" - Blue Oyster Cult

Halloween songs don't get more perfect than this. The vocals are drifting and detached, the guitar riff is sinister and sick, and lyrics – which reveal a Gothic romantic fixation on death – are unsettling precisely because they make death sound not scary. The only thing worse than not having this song on your Halloween playlist is not having enough cowbell.

6. "Somebody's Watching Me" - Rockwell

Kennedy Gordon, the son of Motown founder Berry Gordon, rechristened himself Rockwell and – thanks in no small part to the addition of backing vocals from Michael Jackson – scored a hit with this eerie ode to paranoia in 1984.

5. "Demons" - Imagine Dragons

A lot of songs about the demons/monsters inside are woefully short on horror movie imagery, but you gotta throw the devil horns in the air for Imagine Dragons, who name check grave-digging, beasts (#metal) and stale blood while singing about internal turmoil.

4. "This Is Halloween" - Danny Elfman

Be honest: You wish your city was this cool. In the beloved 1993 flick The Nightmare Before Christmas, this introductory theme song sets up that the town of Halloween has all the eerie delights you crave come Oct. 31: Pumpkins, spiders, snakes, banshees, a man hiding in a trashcan… wait, what?! Okay, maybe you don't want everything they're serving up in the town of Halloween.

3. "Monster Mash" - Bobby "Boris" Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone under 60 who knows how to do the mashed potato, and yet well over 50 years after its release, Bobby "Boris" Pickett's novelty dance hit "Monster Mash" is cherished by guys and ghouls of all ages. Some songs are so silly they're just plain genius.

2. "Ghostbusters" - Ray Parker Jr.

Decades later, the entire world still knows who to call when there's something strange in your neighborhood. Or if there's something weird, and it don't look good. And that invisible man sleeping in your bed? His motives are so transparent. Call the Ghostbusters.

1. "Thriller" - Michael Jackson

What else would be No. 1? Michael Jackson's GOAT horror pop classic boasts howling wolves, an ominous organ, and a funky bass line that wiggles like a worm in a fresh corpse. Not to mention its cameo from B-movie thespian Vincent Price, whose maniacal laugh will set your pulse pounding – that is, if you've still got one.