Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine's desire to work with Paul McCartney

I recall Christine being asked the question "If you could work with someone you have not worked with yet, who would it be?", and her answer was "Paul McCartney". I, for one, about pop out of my skin at the mere thought of this! I think it would be unbelievable. Now, obviously it's too late for Paul to appear on Chris's new album, but Paul is working on a new one, and I think we need to figure out a way to petition him to invite Christine to be on it!!! This would probably be the better scenerio anyway, as there is a chance Chris might be shy to ask Paul. (Plus, then even more people would get to know Chris, whereas Paul doesn't have to worry about it so much. ) Not that I think I know Paul personally or something, but I think he would be open to the idea and is most likely unaware that Christine would be interested. Could they not write the most gorgeous ballad together?, and I ADORE the thought of their voices together.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Paul McCartney

Years ago I heard Christine on a radion show where each week a different guest had to put together an album of their favourite songs.

One of the songs Christine chose was Don't Go Jumping Waterfalls (if that's what it's called) so she obviously likes his work.

I dont know about them writing together though - I think they would be too alike.

She did say that she had sung on a solo album by one of the Everly Brothers (can't remember which one) and that she always loved them. When she was younger she hid in a toilet in the Odeon in Birmingham (England) so that she could meet them and that he remembered meeting her!

Gail
Old 05-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I LOVE the Beatles as well as Christine. So, a Christine/Paul duet would be fantastic. She did meet Paul about 20 years ago in a recording studio. She is also a huge Beatles fan and she has talked about what a thrill it was meeting him and being surprised that he even knew who she was. I don't think she'd have the nerve to ask him, but I'm sure if he asked her, she'd say yes to some sort of a collaboration.

I knew she liked the Everly Brothers, but I'd never heard that she'd actually met them.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris would sound awesome with Mr. McCartney.

"Being in this band really f**** up relationships with chicks."
-Lindsey Buckingham

"Lindsey and I were as close to married as I'll probably ever be. I took care of him, I cooked for him, I ironed his jeans, I adored him."
-Stevie Nicks

"Quite frankly, I think I can presume on Stevie's behalf that she wasn't too sad seeing Lindsey go."
-Mick Fleetwood

"I play bass."
-John McVie.

I love this band.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh

She did say that she had sung on a solo album by one of the Everly Brothers (can't remember which one) and that she always loved them.

Gail
Wow! As a Christine and Everly's fanatic, I can't believe I've never known this! I have all of their solo albums, so I'll have to dig them up and figure this out!
Old 05-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Paul and girls

I don't remember Pauil singing with female (invited) singers. I do remember his duets with MJ and Stevie W. But not with girls. It would be interesting if he records something with Christine.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
I don't remember Pauil singing with female (invited) singers. I do remember his duets with MJ and Stevie W. But not with girls. It would be interesting if he records something with Christine.
You're right...he's never invited a woman to sing on any of his albums (I'm sure because he was only interested in collaborating with Linda when it came to females ...but now things are different), and this is another reason a collaboration with Christine would be so interesting.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

She did say that she had sung on a solo album by one of the Everly Brothers (can't remember which one) and that she always loved them.

Gail
Found it! She appears (backing vocals) on When I'm Dead And Gone from Phil Everly's 1983 self-titled (and final) solo album. This album is deemed a "lost classic", and contains heavy collaboration with Cliff Richard and Mark Knopfler. The CD is OOP, but can sometimes be found on Ebay or Amazon (and will run you up to $50 if it's new). You can also track down the LP, obviously. The album was recorded in Britain, and the liner notes mention CM's appearance, but not how it came to take place. I'm very curious!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

One of the songs Christine chose was Don't Go Jumping Waterfalls (if that's what it's called) so she obviously likes his work.

I dont know about them writing together though - I think they would be too alike.

Gail
The song is just plain Waterfalls (from 1980's semi-experimental McCartney II album, which Paul made at home and plays all instruments)...and I am highly amused (not neccesarily in a bad way) that she mentioned that song as a favorite. Especially since since she mentioned this song, I see your point about the writing collaboration, but since I am such a huge fan of both of theirs, I say BRING IT ON!!! (If they went about it properly, it could, on the other hand, result in The World's Greatest Ballad...or rocker, you never know!) I have some friends who have a lot of friendly encounters with Paul, and I am seriously going to try to convince them to attempt to put this bug in his ear! Wish me luck!
Old 05-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
Found it! She appears (backing vocals) on When I'm Dead And Gone from Phil Everly's 1983 self-titled (and final) solo album. This album is deemed a "lost classic", and contains heavy collaboration with Cliff Richard and Mark Knopfler. The CD is OOP, but can sometimes be found on Ebay or Amazon (and will run you up to $50 if it's new). You can also track down the LP, obviously. The album was recorded in Britain, and the liner notes mention CM's appearance, but not how it came to take place. I'm very curious!
Thanks!!! I'm going to hunt this down, hopefully the CD or the LP if I can't find the CD. I like the Everly Brothers too, although I don't know much about their solo albums. I'm trying to collect everything that Christine ever recorded.
Can you actually hear Christine's vocals on this song?

And, I think a Christine McVie/Paul McCartney collaboration would be the ultimate. I hope it happens.

Last edited by macfan 57; 05-11-2004 at 06:08 AM..
Old 05-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you want to hear a sample of Waterfalls, go here. It may not be long enough to include the bit about "polar bears", though. (The chief reason I'm amused by Christine's love of this song...)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...420393-0342435
Old 05-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Thanks!!! I'm going to hunt this down, hopefully the CD or the LP if I can't find the CD. I like the Everly Brothers too, although I don't know much about their solo albums. I'm trying to collect everything that Christine ever recorded.
Can you actually hear Christine's vocals on this song?
Yes, you can hear her quite well, but not in a way that makes you realize it's her right off the bat. (Obviously, since I've had the CD for years and never realized it was her just from listening! ). Now, knowing it's her, I realize how good their voices sound together, and I wish her role was more prominent...leaves me wishing they had done a full-fledged duet! Does anyone have a compilation CD going of Christine's collaborations (like the ones of Stevie floating around)? Macfan 57, it sounds like you want to seek out the original item, but I am happy to burn this track for a Good Trader or two to get this OOP song circulating. Just let me know...
Old 05-12-2004, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

EveryHour,
I just sent you a private message. Many thanks for helping me out.

I know of no compilation CD of Christine collaborations floating around. I have everything that I know of on various CDs & CDRs & a few on vinyl & tape(for those that were never released on CD). I have no way of transferring what I have on vinyl & tape to CD or else I could make a compilation of everything. I wasn't even aware of this Phil Everly CD.

Last edited by macfan 57; 05-12-2004 at 07:01 AM..
Old 05-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
EveryHour,
I just sent you a private message. Many thanks for helping me out.

I know of no compilation CD of Christine collaborations floating around. I have everything that I know of on various CDs & CDRs & a few on vinyl & tape(for those that were never released on CD). I have no way of transferring what I have on vinyl & tape to CD or else I could make a compilation of everything. I wasn't even aware of this Phil Everly CD.
macfan 57, I replied to your private message. Let me know if you don't get it...it was my first one and I'm not sure if I did it right.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EveryHour,
I got both of your messages & I just sent you an e-mail. Thanks!