User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Then why were you stupid enough to call the band AMERICAN then?
Based on where they were the most popular, stupid.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
It's possible to be famous around the world, just not for everyone.
That is exactly my point.

Global success, particularly both UK and US equally, is very difficult if you don't originate from there.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Based on where they were the most popular, stupid.
But they aren't the most popular in the US.

They have had more far more chart success outside of America. Please check your FM knowledge before you keep embarrassing yourself.

"They are an American band and they are most popular in the US.....

......And Stevie is a man and Lindsey a woman too perhaps
Old 08-14-2018, 03:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Amazing that folks on this site think that Fleetwood Mac is an American band.

They were created as a fully British band that recorded nine albums with zero Americans in the band. In 1975, they brought two Americans into the band. They then recorded eight more albums, seven of which were with Lindsey and one without.

That makes eleven albums without Lindsey and seven with Lindsey. It is true that Lindsey was the creative force (producer, arranger) behind those seven albums and he did lead them through their most commercially successful years but he wasn't the primary songwriter during those years and he certainly relied heavily on having two elite songwriters in the band in Christine and Stevie.

Lindsey's solo albums were largely commercial flops because he's not an elite songwriter, although he is certainly an elite producer/arranger.

Either way, Fleetwood Mac began as a British band and on their 10th album they became a British/American band. Now they are a British/American/Kiwi band.

Sorry to be so picky... but Fleetwood Mac recorded 4 proper studio albums with zero Americans. Bob Welch was of course American so FG to HAHTF don't count. Shocked to hear some people on here consider Fleetwood Mac to be an American band though.

And yes... Neil Finn is massively popular and famous in a number of countries outside the US.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-14-2018, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
And yes... Neil Finn is massively popular and famous in a number of countries outside the US.
Finally, a well researched and factual comment, thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I certainly never said you were American, it's clear from your profile that you reside in Germany. I was talking about the US charts. I was saying its ignorant to say that just because you personally don't know Finn, or anyone else you know knows him, that he is unknown....Again I said he is successful predominantly in other countries is my point...if you live anywhere else from a Commonwealth country it's highly likely he's not popular there.....same analogy could be said for Kylie or Blur
...as far as Kylie Minogue is concerned; She's had more hits in the UK than she's had in Australia (33 top tens in the UK, 23 in Aus). I'm therefore hereby claiming her to be British.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
...as far as Kylie Minogue is concerned; She's had more hits in the UK than she's had in Australia (33 top tens in the UK, 23 in Aus). I'm therefore hereby claiming her to be British.
Totally agree with you ...she's lived in London for how long now?! She's even lost her Australian accent and has been very much adopted in the UK, so same analogy as Neil.....very successful in their home countries and UK but not at all in the US.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
Gross. If anyone can share some fan sites where the maturity level is a little higher, send some links to those of us who are here for the music and not the creepy celebrity obsessing, filling in a narrative that may not be true, speculation, etc.

If anyone thought this was going to be a financial disaster, dream on. Mike Campbell is a bulletproof solution. I'm sad that Lindsey isn't touring with the band; but I also would never want to pay for a concert that consists of people who don't want to play together. I've done that, and it makes for a really boring, uninspired tour.

Reminders for people on this board who are stuck in 1997:
None of the band members need the $$$.
They love touring.

That's the only reason this is happening. Not because of you or me -- but because this is how they want to spend their time. Not for us, not for record companies, not for bank accounts, etc.
So they may as well be happy and as tension free as they can be.

Sad for how it all played out, but it is what it is.

You never have to twist my arm to go hear Mike Campbell play. I don't care who he's sharing the stage with. And I feel the same way about Lindsey.
You rock!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
According to Wikipedia, Law and Order went to #32, Go Insane to #45, Out of the Cradle to #128, Under the Skin to #80, Gift of Screws to #48, and Seeds We Sow to #45.

The poster I responded to was making the point that Lindsey as a solo artist was much more successful than Neil Finn. My point was why bother to compare the two? But if people want to compare the numbers, Lindsey as a solo artist is not that well known. More than Neil Finn? Maybe, but it's like comparing Michelle Shocked to Aimee Mann- neither one of them are that famous, so what's the point in comparing their sales?

I would guarantee you more people know Don't Dream It's Over than Trouble. Guarantee it. Does that matter? Not to me. But everything that poster made a point to say about Neil Finn applied to Lindsey, too.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But they aren't the most popular in the US.

They have had more far more chart success outside of America. Please check your FM knowledge before you keep embarrassing yourself.

"They are an American band and they are most popular in the US.....

......And Stevie is a man and Lindsey a woman too perhaps
Moderators...I personally take offense to his name calling once again. Do SOMETHING for once in your lives about him. He should not be allowed to call anyone stupid.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Opinions are like.... what?

I'm saying most of us don't give AF about Neil. I personally don't want to hear his stats.
I'm not sure I buy that "most of us" part. This is a FM board, after all, and Finn is a member now, no matter how much a seemingly large percentage of us wish it weren't so.

Lindsey was fired. That part sucks - that opinion seems universal around here.

Finn had zero to do with LB's firing. That seems beyond dispute, also.

What's left of the band will heavily feature Neil Finn. Why wouldn't "most" Mac fans "give AF" about him? Sure, we're pissed about the LB situation, but why sit in the corner, fingers in ears, yelling "LALALALALALALA, I don't know/care who Neil Finn is! LALALALALALALA! I'm not listening!!!"?!? (I mean, hey, it's a free Internet, you can do what ya want, but it seems to be an odd response to me.) Until we hear this latest incarnation, none of us can really say whether this "new band" is worth listening to or not. I think us Finn Fans are only saying it just *might* be worthwhile to give him/them a chance, despite our anger over the LB dismissal.

I saw The Classic East show last summer and while I enjoyed the show, Lindsey looked bored and a bit angry at times. I absolutely love the guy and his musical style, but seeing that show left me with little enthusiasm for future Rumours-FM projects, including this upcoming tour. LB seemed checked out. His exit has ticked me off, but Finn's addition just might breathe some necessary new life into these old-timers. "Might" being the key word here. So to paraphrase the Crazy Britney Spears Guy from years ago: Give Neil a chance!!!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Moderators...I personally take offense to his name calling once again. Do SOMETHING for once in your lives about him. He should not be allowed to call anyone stupid.
Not that you took the time to read the whole thing, but he was called 'stupid' first.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But this is an AMERICAN band, who plays primarily here. Do you understand that distinction?
I get what you mean. THEY see themselves as Americans, maybe not the auidence. I don't see them performing all across small European towns, like in the US.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Not that you took the time to read the whole thing, but he was called 'stupid' first.
Exactly. Thank you.

Buster called me a "f*cking pathetic loser", and that was allowed. "Stupid" is a walk in the park, compared to that. But I'm certain that JohnL doesn't see it that way.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
You'd think people would be over the moon with the announcement of LB's tour dates.