Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac Fan Stereotypes

So I was watching this video about how there are different stereotypes for people who are fans of metal (they always wear tattoos, they party and get drunk, etc). And it got me thinking.
What types of stereotypes come from being a penguinhead? What have people assumed about you for listening to FM?
This should be fun
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
So I was watching this video about how there are different stereotypes for people who are fans of metal (they always wear tattoos, they party and get drunk, etc). And it got me thinking.
What types of stereotypes come from being a penguinhead? What have people assumed about you for listening to FM?
This should be fun
that i must like adult contemporary music.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
What types of stereotypes come from being a penguinhead?

Being stuck in the 70's.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My wife found it a bit funny how many guys wore leather jackets to the last LB solo show we went to.

Full disclosure, I wore a leather jacket there too.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Honestly, among my age group, being a FM fan is so common that it's impossible to feel stereotyped. It'd almost be like someone trying to stereotype people who enjoy sunshine. Just isn't going to work. It's interesting to read some of these comments, though.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now a days, being a Fleetwood Mac fan is not abnormal in my crowd. I think ten years ago, it was different, but now they have earned so much respect, no one questions it. I think time has had a lot to do with it. For every "Call Me Maybe", "Rhiannon" sounds a whole lot better.

I think in general, people assume Fleetwood Mac fans are white and somewhat conservative. I think they assume that hard core Stevie Nicks fans are gay men or hippie dippy ladies.

For what its worth, I am gay, white and live in Brooklyn, NY. I am 25 years old and a hardcore Stevie and Mac fan. I guess I do fit into a few of the stereotypes.... but who cares?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This guy on another forum may have answered the stereotype question posed on this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...389&page=8#353

Bands That You Don't Get the Appeal Of:

The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, and any Fleetwood Mac song not written by or featuring Stevie Nicks. I'm not saying that bands have to be virtuosos or anything, but these groups have barely any chops and don't make up for it other ways.

The Doors were pretty amateurish, but they made it work with Morrison's charisma, Manzarek's soloing, and having their own sound. The Beatles weren't Cream or anything, but they made it work with amazing song writing, harmonization, and versatility.

Eagles/Steve Miller/Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).
I kind of get what he means with Christine McVie, because that was my impression of her music and singing a few years ago. I've come to appreciate her since, of course, but it kinda bugs me that I get what he's saying in that sentence, when the rest of it makes no sense to me at all. "They aren't great musicians" and "It sounds like first graders" are just flat-out stupid comments. But I guess people have more fun saying provocative things than honest ones. Personally I've never warmed much to The Beatles. I'd never say they weren't great musicians, I just don't connect with them. But I guess that in and of itself is a pretty dull phrase, and it'd be more exciting for me to compare their sound to camels in heat, even though that comparison makes no sense, to get a rise from people
Old 02-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A sterotype often propagated on fan forums (even this one) is that Stevie fans all type with frilly, excessive puctuation. Like ~this~! and that we like to replace "i" with "y", as in ~-~WyndChyld~-~

Of course, one had to have been around during the glut of early millenium Stevie pan pages to understand where that sterotype came from.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
A sterotype often propagated on fan forums (even this one) is that Stevie fans all type with frilly, excessive puctuation. Like ~this~! and that we like to replace "i" with "y", as in ~-~WyndChyld~-~

Of course, one had to have been around during the glut of early millenium Stevie pan pages to understand where that sterotype came from.
Y'm goyng to ~~try~~ thys from now on <3 <3.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This guy on another forum may have answered the stereotype question posed on this one:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...389&page=8#353

Bands That You Don't Get the Appeal Of:

The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, and any Fleetwood Mac song not written by or featuring Stevie Nicks. I'm not saying that bands have to be virtuosos or anything, but these groups have barely any chops and don't make up for it other ways.

The Doors were pretty amateurish, but they made it work with Morrison's charisma, Manzarek's soloing, and having their own sound. The Beatles weren't Cream or anything, but they made it work with amazing song writing, harmonization, and versatility.

Eagles/Steve Miller/Fleetwood Mac: I just don't get it, there's nothing there. They aren't great musicians, write boring lyrics, and their subject matter is generic. Peaceful, Easy, Feeling sounds like it was written and performed by a 1st grader on Recess break. Rocking Me Baby, cool intro aside, is completely one note and features almost no instrumentation. And don't get me started on Christine McVie: soulless, cheesy, bland (see You Make Loving Fun or Say You Love Me).
Ah, yes, this old line. Well, well. One man's soulless is another man's sublime, after all.

Stereotypes? A fan of the Mac is dull, probably spends weekends doing home improvements listening to a 70s station on digital radio and drinking warm beer. Frankly, I can think of worse fates...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Ah, yes, this old line. Well, well. One man's soulless is another man's sublime, after all.

Stereotypes? A fan of the Mac is dull, probably spends weekends doing home improvements listening to a 70s station on digital radio and drinking warm beer. Frankly, I can think of worse fates...
Sounds like a decent little Saturday there.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I grew up in the heavy metal suburbs of upstate New York. I got a lot of flack for my unapologetic love for FM because by that time (early 80s) they were considered a step or two away from easy listening.

I didn't care. I was and continue to be an ardent fan.

Regarding some comments about Christine earlier...My first connection to FM was through Stevie (esp. "Gypsy") but when I heard "Say You Love Me" on the radio it was all over. Christine's voice is one of a kind. You either love it (as I do) or don't get it.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember a time when some people classified as FM as "Dad rock". So maybe I am now "of an age" where I'm into Dad rock!?!?

I'm not sure if anyone would use this phrase now, but if they did they obviously have no idea what they are talking about

Old 02-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Almost every show I went to this year, someone had spoken to us about how young we are, and if we grew up listening to FM. The answer is "nope!" We (I, really. I take full credit ) heard GYOW on the radio, and had never realized how amazing of a song it really was! I always liked Rhiannon, but never gave it much thought.

Down into the rabbit hole I went, and I have yet to surface.

TL;DR: Yes, I'm younger. No, parents didn't really listen to them.
Just a dream, just a dream.