User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I kind of get what he means with Christine McVie, because that was my impression of her music and singing a few years ago. I've come to appreciate her since, of course, but it kinda bugs me that I get what he's saying in that sentence, when the rest of it makes no sense to me at all. "They aren't great musicians" and "It sounds like first graders" are just flat-out stupid comments. But I guess people have more fun saying provocative things than honest ones. Personally I've never warmed much to The Beatles. I'd never say they weren't great musicians, I just don't connect with them. But I guess that in and of itself is a pretty dull phrase, and it'd be more exciting for me to compare their sound to camels in heat, even though that comparison makes no sense, to get a rise from people
Christine is generic compared to Stevie and Lindsey, and even Peter and Danny. She even admits to just writing basic love songs. I guess Rumours FM sounds generically 70s now, but I have no idea if they did at the time. I don't think they did anything groundbreaking until Tusk, as different as Rhiannon was.

True McVie mozzarella: the 1984 album. I could put So Excited on my nachos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
A sterotype often propagated on fan forums (even this one) is that Stevie fans all type with frilly, excessive puctuation. Like ~this~! and that we like to replace "i" with "y", as in ~-~WyndChyld~-~

Of course, one had to have been around during the glut of early millenium Stevie pan pages to understand where that sterotype came from.
Why the y? I forget~
Old 02-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know if stereotypes, but I always go by periods...
For example:

-1968-1971: black & white, rock & soul. Drugs and Jesus.
-1972-1974: Danny Kirwan, Bob Weston & Bob Welch.
-1977: Drugs.
-1987: Hate.
-1990: Old guys.
-1995: Boring.
-2003-now: A group of mature musicians performing old good songs, but not songs they didn't perform before...And, mature musicians who finally left their problems behind.

Maybe I didn't understand, but I think these are my stereotypes of FM through the years.
Regards!

Last edited by moon; 02-04-2014 at 01:45 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Why the y? I forget~
I have no idea. My guess is that it looks more Welsh. I tried really hard to find posts from here making fun of chiffonheads, but without success. But they're around...
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

We were talking about music at work and when I said I mostly listen to 70s music, every one said I was a hippie.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool Interesting

I grew up listening to all types of music from oldies (50'/60's/70's) to country to contemporary Christian music to pop to rock to rap....etc.

My parents weren't FM fans, so I didn't grow up with their music but I do remember hearing FM songs on the radio (didn't know the name of the group though).

I think each member of FM brought/brings a different taste, which is why they have been so successful.

Went to Best Buy once to look for FM CD's and one of the guys working there was majorly surprised that someone so young (I was probably 25-26 at the time, but I look younger, so he probably thought 17-18) was into this band. He almost offended me with his shock. LOL I was like "I get it, dude. They have been around since before I was born. So what?"

I have gotten the "Who's she?" in regards to Lindsey though....and then I set my mother straight. She'll NEVER make that mistake again. LOL
Old 02-12-2014, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac...

...elevator music

Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Fleetwood Mac...

...elevator music

Nightmare scenario, getting stuck in an elevator
and having listen to "Time" or "Behind The Mask".

I think M. Night Shyamalan beat me to it.