User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thanks so much for this, it helps a lot (i couldn't decipher most of them...).

i think it might be:
"from the fire we will rise again
in our own time"
Elle, you were right! Wow - if I'd thought about it, makes total sense. duh... And, I finally got what is "all falling down"... "These rooms."
Old 04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Elle, you were right! Wow - if I'd thought about it, makes total sense. duh... And, I finally got what is "all falling down"... "These rooms."
The rooms are on fire.

Michele
Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The rooms are on fire.

Michele
Indeed!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As far as interpretations go, I find many UTS and Stevie's TISL and SYW songs to be about The Dance and Will's birth, while I think this new batch of Lindsey songs are about what went on from 2003-2009.

UTS is about loss, but it's actually more upbeat than what we've seen of SWS. UTS is about making amends, reconciling, nurturing, dealing with loss but facing a future that holds new and different promise.

In SWS we find that the future didn't take away the pain. It's still there and will remain and can't be replaced with other joys or compensations, nor can it be papered around. They tried to continue some kind of love relationship, but had to break that off, because it was too painful to be half in and half out of a relationship. It caused her harm. So, there's this realization threading through the songs that we'll have to live with this unfilled hole until death. While UTS had regret, tinged with optimism, these new songs have regret saddled with a bit of despair, because now you know it can't be healed. Been there, tried that, didn't work.

Michele
That's all really profound and who knows, maybe mostly true. But, that "causes her harm" part. Why? Man, she would have it made. She would have HER freedom and LB. It seems like continuing the relationship would cause him more harm - he's the one with the family. Unless, Stevie suddenly came down with a bad case of traditionalism... lol
Old 04-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's all really profound and who knows, maybe mostly true. But, that "causes her harm" part. Why? Man, she would have it made. She would have HER freedom and LB. It seems like continuing the relationship would cause him more harm - he's the one with the family. Unless, Stevie suddenly came down with a bad case of traditionalism... lol
Situationally it would cause him harm... But emotionally? She's the one who would be going to her huge empty house, while he goes back to a loving wife and kids, something that Stevie isn't a part of in anyway (that comment she made about not being his kids Godmother are coming to mind ).
Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree it's mysterious, but it's something SN has alluded to many times - the fact that they simply cannot have a healthy relationship, no matter how much they might want each other.

I think, in the past, around the time of the final split, it was definitely related to possessiveness and lack of appreciation/respect on LB's part. (I also personally believe he was violent to her, or came close enough to it to scare her, but I know that's controversial.) Latterly, post-The Dance and SYW, perhaps it's a combination of too much baggage and their fundamentally incongruous personalities? I mean, constantly trying to avoid stepping on mines or inadvertently pushing each other's buttons gets exhausting real fast at any age, much less something you want to bother with in your senior years. My guess is they know by now that that's never going to change, or improve to the point where they can be each other's best match, so it's better to be with other people (or no one) and preserve the fragile rapprochement that they've achieved now, rather than pushing further and ending up with even less.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
I agree it's mysterious, but it's something SN has alluded to many times - the fact that they simply cannot have a healthy relationship, no matter how much they might want each other.

I think, in the past, around the time of the final split, it was definitely related to possessiveness and lack of appreciation/respect on LB's part. (I also personally believe he was violent to her, or came close enough to it to scare her, but I know that's controversial.) Latterly, post-The Dance and SYW, perhaps it's a combination of too much baggage and their fundamentally incongruous personalities? I mean, constantly trying to avoid stepping on mines or inadvertently pushing each other's buttons gets exhausting real fast at any age, much less something you want to bother with in your senior years. My guess is they know by now that that's never going to change, or improve to the point where they can be each other's best match, so it's better to be with other people (or no one) and preserve the fragile rapprochement that they've achieved now, rather than pushing further and ending up with even less.
Ok, I can see that. Interesting though. So, is everybody back-pedaling on the time frame now? I know a lot of people still held to the 1976 break-up- and-that-was-it theory. Surely, we're not saying a 61 year old family man is still pining over her when they only had a sporadic, work-related only relationship for 35 years?
Old 04-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ok, I can see that. Interesting though. So, is everybody back-pedaling on the time frame now? I know a lot of people still held to the 1976 break-up- and-that-was-it theory. Surely, we're not saying a 61 year old family man is still pining over her when they only had a sporadic, work-related only relationship for 35 years?
Well, in Stevie's own journal from either like '77 or '78 (I can't remember which, I just remember it being long after they were supposed to have been broken up, regarding the making of Rumours and such) she was all "I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Lindsey and I are at an end. So sad to see good love go bad."

That combined with everything else ('I didn't consider us broken up until 1987', Mick saying they were 'practically married for 20 years [now, which twenty years would that be, Mick?]', and other various context clues)....

I tend to think that while they may have officially ceased being a COUPLE in '76, stopped living together and such, they remained very much at least some sort of an item (albeit on and off, probably moreso off the later we go) throughout the years, whether emotionally or physically. With that all culminating into the huge blow up in 1987.

And then of course, The Dance. Lots of options there.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For a woman who has expressed some regrets about not having children or marrying (though lord knows, she's opinions on that one are ever-changing), it must be nothing short of gutting to watch him go back to his gorgeous wife and children. After decades of (sporadic) romantic and artistic involvement, to be relegated to the position of bit on the side/blast from the past? Yeah, I can see how that would cause her harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Situationally it would cause him harm... But emotionally? She's the one who would be going to her huge empty house, while he goes back to a loving wife and kids, something that Stevie isn't a part of in anyway (that comment she made about not being his kids Godmother are coming to mind ).
Agreed.
And, what comment? I don't think I've heard that.

Quote:
I think a relationship during the Dance is pretty much a given, no?
And yeah, reading these lyrics I would be very surprised if there hasn't been anything since his marriage.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, is everybody back-pedaling on the time frame now? I know a lot of people still held to the 1976 break-up- and-that-was-it theory. Surely, we're not saying a 61 year old family man is still pining over her when they only had a sporadic, work-related only relationship for 35 years?
Didn't a large chunk of us think that there was a rekindling during the Dance anyway? We may have back-pedaled en masse, but we did it about 14 years ago.

Michele
Old 04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
Agreed.
And, what comment? I don't think I've heard that.
"Lindsey had his first child at the age of 50, and I feel his little girl Leelee is like my own. I’m not her godmother, but I insist on being a part of her life."
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm kind of confused are people implying that Stevie and Lindsey are in a physical love relationship and/or emotional love relatioinship now? I mean their crazy relationship is so confusing that even when you think that it's been over and done, it never really seems to be regardless what Stevie might say about being happy being alone and never getting marrried or having any kids and Lindsey saying he is happy with his wife and family.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Didn't a large chunk of us think that there was a rekindling during the Dance anyway? We may have back-pedaled en masse, but we did it about 14 years ago.

Michele
Some people still think that's a ridiculous idea. I think all our explanations are too - simple....

Quote:
Originally Posted by njova View Post
I'm kind of confused are people implying that Stevie and Lindsey are in a physical love relationship and/or emotional love relatioinship now? I mean their crazy relationship is so confusing that even when you think that it's been over and done, it never really seems to be regardless what Stevie might say about being happy being alone and never getting marrried or having any kids and Lindsey saying he is happy with his wife and family.
Right!

It makes me exhausted, I can't imagine actually living it.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by njova View Post
For me, the only reason I'm talking about this at all is because of the content of those lyrics from LB's new album. They surprised me, but maybe they shouldn't really. As I said, they could be really old words, reflecting long-spent feelings. And perhaps Stevie really is right re: what she allegedly told Sheryl Crow - that you shouldn't have kids because you won't write great songs any more? Fact is, other people's happiness is boring. So maybe LB deliberately delves back into painful areas in order to produce stronger work? These songs could be every bit as historical for him as 'Secret Love' is for SN (though I suspect he wouldn't pretend not to remember who the songs are about ).
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Somebody slap my wrists if I've got the timeline incorrect, but didn't things nearly rekindle with Stevie at the time of The Dance and didn't this almost coincide with getting together with Kristen? I've always wondered if things with Stevie would have got back on a serious footing if Kristen hadn't have gotten pregnant. That obviously woulda put the kibosh on the whole thing.