User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
p.s. - it's ABOUT stevie and, more pointedly, aimed AT her.
That was my first impression too, just reading to the lyrics.

I can see Christine rolling her eyes and thinking: "again with these two!"
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I'm enjoying it. Like everyone else has said, I'd prefer more Christine. I'm getting more of a Mirage vibe than Tango. The chorus is extremely catchy.
Me too! At the beginning it sounds like Empire State to me.

John's work on this song is astounding. It took me a while to notice it but with speakers sounds fantastic.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 04-14-2017, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
However, it IS an odd choice for a lead-off single.
It is an odd choice when you think it's a collaborative work ...
Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
No Think About Me was not a good radio single and had it not been for their previous work it would not have been Top 40. Nice beat but the rest was blah. However, Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over were great but not radio friendly.
Interesting. Think About Me is probably the only "commercial" song on Tusk. Its perfectly radio friendly. Usually strong album sales help singles. But Tusk ran out of gas and unfortunately Think About Me was the sacrifice.
If you pretend you never heard any song from Tusk and picture yourself listening to Tusk for the first time in 1979. Its a no brainer Think About me would be your lead off. But Lindsey wanted to show the world "Tusk". The limelight of Rumours put the single Tusk in the top 10. You NEVER hear it on the radio today. Imagine if the singles were reversed and Tusk was the 3rd single. It would not have even cracked to top 50.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Interesting. Think About Me is probably the only "commercial" song on Tusk. Its perfectly radio friendly. Usually strong album sales help singles. But Tusk ran out of gas and unfortunately Think About Me was the sacrifice.
If you pretend you never heard any song from Tusk and picture yourself listening to Tusk for the first time in 1979. Its a no brainer Think About me would be your lead off. But Lindsey wanted to show the world "Tusk". The limelight of Rumours put the single Tusk in the top 10. You NEVER hear it on the radio today. Imagine if the singles were reversed and Tusk was the 3rd single. It would not have even cracked to top 50.
I think if Think About Me was truely that great it would of done better since the previous two top 10 singles guaranteed airplay. The public didn't like it that much.It lost momentum for the album.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart

So the song finally popped up on Spotify for me to listen to obsessively on the way to work this morning. A few observations:

1) After listening to an HD version of the song in my car a few times, everyone is right: absolutely no Christine backing vocals on this one. I'm okay with that- not every Fleetwood Mac song featured other members backing vocals.

2) I'm in love with this fresh, crisp, yet classically spooky FM sound. I really didn't know what to expect sonically from this project or what I even hoped to hear, but this managed to satisfy my desires all the same.

3) The guitar solo at the end is kinda lame. I suspect it was recorded as a throwaway item with radio in mind. Radio stations invariably cut off end of song solos, no matter how epic they are.

4) My car apparently thinks this is a Lindsey solo song. Typically my car pulls an album cover and song information when I'm listening to HD radio, satellite radio, or streaming through Spotify like I was in this instance. Not only did my car get the artist wrong, it also pulled this random picture of Lindsey up instead of the album cover. Bizarre.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I think if Think About Me was truely that great it would of done better since the previous two top 10 singles guaranteed airplay. The public didn't like it that much.It lost momentum for the album.
We have a difference of opinion but by the time Think About Me was released, Tusk already had its hay day. IMHO Tusk would have sold better if TAM was released first. The single Tusk turned lots of people off and the album failed to get traction.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is some truth to this .Look at Tango it appeared to be running out of steam after Seven Wonders barely made the U.S. top 20 and did far worse in the U.K. ..then Little Lies hit the pop top 5 in both places followed by Everywhere.I also think Tusk is a great and interesting song and it still played on some of the SF stations.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We have a difference of opinion but by the time Think About Me was released, Tusk already had its hay day. IMHO Tusk would have sold better if TAM was released first. The single Tusk turned lots of people off and the album failed to get traction.
I love the song Tusk. That is one of the best and bravest songs of the 1970s.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I do like the song because it's got such a strong beat. It's not whimpy. I'm not saying I don't like the song.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here is my review of it:

This is a hugely disappointing single.
It's bland and has no hooks or catchy beat. The lyrics are impossible to relate to and even nastier to sing along to.
The arrangement of the song has forgotten about any form of intro, bridge or solo or outro. All we are given is a verse veres chorus verse chorus fade.
And as duet album I would have at least expected home harmonies from Christine or a keyboard and I hear neither.
Lindsey, our "worlds number 2 greatest underrated guitarist" had only two strings on his guitar. My 5yr old daughter could learn it in less than 10 minutes.
I find it hard to say where the talent lies with this song.
It's one of the very very few Lindsey songs that falls into this category . But it is right up there with flying down juniper and most of the law and order efforts.

Stevie dodged a bullet with this one.

All of a sudden there is no rush to 9th June.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default About Stevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
p.s. - it's ABOUT stevie and, more pointedly, aimed AT her.
Boy, is it ever. That (imo) is precisely WHY the love grunts are in the song. If only he had recylced "shackin'' up" into the lyrics, it would have come full circle.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I initially felt quite underwhelmed and disappointed by this single. I really do find it quite bizarre Christine is seemingly completely absent.
That said, I've found myself singing this song in my head for about 6 hours straight. I have to take issue with the people that say there aren't any hooks... I'd say this song is very hooky. I had hoped for something more along the lines of Sad Angel but its still a decent song.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Junior Ledgie

After sleeping on it and a couple more listens this morning, I've gotten over the fact "In My World" is not what I hoped for, accepted it for what it is and can appreciate it on that level a little more. I don't think the song is so much directed at Stevie. They have sung at and about each other before, this is something different. This is Lindsey getting inside her head concerning her ambivalence toward Fleetwood Mac versus her solo career.

The verses represent FM - the solid foundation from Mick and John with Lindsey's irritating and dissonant guitar on top that does not change or resolve melodically. The chorus is obviously representative of her solo career - in my world everything is hunky dory - but Lindsey can't help but give his opinion by locking her thoughts in an echo chamber.

Lindsey believes friction is vital to FM's creativity and Stevie does not. The "love grunts" are actually giving voice to the push/pull tug of war between them.

I bet this is one of the songs that Lindsey wrote for Stevie to sing around the time of the EP. I could also see her - understandably - refusing to sing it and give him the perverse thrill of him hearing her sing what he thinks is going on in her head. It reinforces her resolve to not work creatively with Lindsey. His response is to release the song as a single, duet album be damned.

Or I could be reading way to much into it...
Old 04-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
Here is my review of it:

This is a hugely disappointing single.
It's bland and has no hooks or catchy beat. The lyrics are impossible to relate to and even nastier to sing along to.
The arrangement of the song has forgotten about any form of intro, bridge or solo or outro. All we are given is a verse veres chorus verse chorus fade.
And as duet album I would have at least expected home harmonies from Christine or a keyboard and I hear neither.
Lindsey, our "worlds number 2 greatest underrated guitarist" had only two strings on his guitar. My 5yr old daughter could learn it in less than 10 minutes.
I find it hard to say where the talent lies with this song.
It's one of the very very few Lindsey songs that falls into this category . But it is right up there with flying down juniper and most of the law and order efforts.

Stevie dodged a bullet with this one.

All of a sudden there is no rush to 9th June.
I agree with EVERYTHING. And I find all the echo-ey background voices unnecessary-and a weird audible alternative to what should have been Christine. I'm totally underwhelmed. JMHO-sorry!
Ricoh