Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default When You're Not Listening to Fleetwood Mac, you're listening to:

This has probably been done before, but I'm curious what diehard Fleetwood Mac fans listen to besides Fleetwood Mac?

Not an easy question and if you're like me with taste that's hard to pinpoint, the list can be endless.

Lately I've been listening to The National and Wilco.
But I've had a long drawn out Fleetwood Mac/Buckingham addiction since the tour started.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Junior Ledgie

I too have been locked into a FM & BN rotation, but usually don't skip Matthew Barber or Kelly Willis & Bruce Robison (obsessed with Cheater's Game), when they come around!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My rotation other than FM most regularly includes:

Bruce Springsteen
Maria Mckee
Linda Ronstadt
Joss Stone
Laura Nyro
Van Morrison
Cher (I like her early stuff...so shoot me)

There are more, but I didn't want to get exhaustive here, lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pink
Dido
Whitney Houston
Lady Gaga
Kings of Leon
Bruno Mars
Madonna
U2
Annie Lennox
The Killers
Maroon 5
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Jake Bugg
Lucas Oswald
Dawes
Tom Petty
Band Of Horses
First Aid Kit
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have the weirdest taste ever. If i'm not listening to FM or Stevie, i'm either listening to other classic rock bands like Zeppelin, Heart, Blondie, Grateful Dead, the Eagles, Tom Petty & the HBs, the Stones, etc. Or i'm listening to grunge like Hole or Nirvana or Courtney Love. Or i'm listening to classic country like Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Tanya Tucker, etc.
I don't think you get more diverse than that,
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like lots of stuff, but especially Bob Dylan and a young artist called Gin Wigmore that everyone should probably check out!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lately, it's been mostly Madonna. I'm loving everything she's ever done right now. It's like every time I go Madonna crazy I add a new album that I never cared too much for, this time It's been Hard Candy.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
I have the weirdest taste ever. If i'm not listening to FM or Stevie, i'm either listening to other classic rock bands like Zeppelin, Heart, Blondie, Grateful Dead, the Eagles, Tom Petty & the HBs, the Stones, etc. Or i'm listening to grunge like Hole or Nirvana or Courtney Love. Or i'm listening to classic country like Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Tanya Tucker, etc.
Sounds a lot like me actually. But also throw in Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Chantal Kreviazuk, and other 90s Lilith Fair like female singers.

I'm really into vinyl lately (lots of FM plays though. Lol) but I have my mom's collection of albums which is heavy on classic country and Elvis. Also listening to The Carpenters, Joni Mitchell, The Beatles, The Mamas and the Papas, and trying to get my hands on more 60s era folk- love Janis Joplin, Simon and Garfunkel, etc.

Heck, I also have a size able collection of Israeli pop! Chava Alberstein, Sarit Hadad, Riki Gal are my top faves though I have plenty of others and just found a 70s album by a female Israeli singer named Ilanit at a local record store I'm enjoying in my vinyl kick.

I'm all over the place and have been known to beyond Grunge, listen to hard rock, metal, goth and emo, electronic, and even whatever you call bands like Delerium and Massive Attack. Haha. And I'm enjoying the way current pop is going more folk (Im probably a big folk fan in general if you go from 60s on and consider time periods after as different incarnations of folk ie, the female singer/songwriter Lilith fair type stuff, indigo girls, and this current 2000's incarnation of folk) so I'm liking Mumford & Sons, the Lumineers, Fun., Philip Philips, etc.

So yep, I'm all over the place too. But do have to say since I just saw FM two weeks ago I'm extremely heavy on Mac and Stevie. I had a crazy stressful day today for example and needed to unwind so I was playing Rumours on vinyl. I'm still in that post-concert state where I can close my eyes and feel like I'm at the concert and see it vividly in my head. So much so I've been known to unfairly skip Christine's songs simply because she wasn't there! Though I did just acquire her self titled solo album on vinyl so need to give that some attention. I'm broke but desperately hoping to acquire Tusk on vinyl once I get paid. Today I wanted to unwind to my own weird sort of headbanging, drumming on thins with my hands to "Tusk" craziness. Lol. I'm sure I look completely nuts. And my cat goes running for fear I'm going to twirl her around to "Gold Dust Woman". Im heavy into the Mac obsession and can't sit still and listen! And Fleetwood Mac is just sounding dramatically better and more exciting to me than anything else.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Not quite an endless list but close to it... I have quite a lot of music but all of these artists are the ones which currently never get taken off my iPad, even when I've discovered someone new I desperately need to find space for.

-

A Fine Frenzy / Admiral Fallow / Agnes Obel / Aimee Mann / Alabama Shakes / The Album Leaf / Alexi Murdoch / Alison Krauss / Alt-J / Amos Lee /Andrew Belle / Angus & Julia Stone / Anna Ternheim / The Arcade Fire / Arctic Monkeys / Athlete / Augustana / The Avett Brothers

B.B. King / Bach / The Band / Band of Horses / Bastille / Bat for Lashes / The Beach Boys / The Beatles / Beck / Ben Howard / Birds of Tokyo / The Black Keys / Blind Pilot / Bob Dylan / Bodhi Jones / Bon Iver / Bonnie Raitt / Brandi Carlile / Buddy Holly / The Byrds

Cary Brothers / The Cat Empire / Cat Power / Citizen Cope / The Civil Wars / The Clash / Cream / Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young / The Cure

Daft Punk / Damien Rice / Dan Auerbach / Daniel Lanois / Dave Matthews Band / David Bowie / The Decemberists / Donavon Frankenreiter / The Doors / Doves /

The Eagles / Eddi Reader / Editors / Electric Light Orchestra / Ellie Goulding / Elliot Smith / Elvis Costello / Emiliana Torrini / Eric Clapton / The Everly Brothers

Fairport Convention / Fanfarlo / Feist / Fleet Foxes / Florence + the Machine / Foals / The Frames / Fran Healy / Frank Sinatra

Gillian Welch / Gotye / Greg Laswell

Haim / The Head and The Heart / Herbie Hancock / Howie Day

Ian Dury / Iko / Imagine Dragons / Imogen Heap / Ingrid Michaelson / Iron & Wine

J Mascis / Jack Savoretti / Jack White / Jackson Browne / Jake Bugg / Jakob Dylan / The Jam / James Taylor / James Vincent McMorrow / Jeff Buckley / Jessie Ware / Jethro Tull / Jimi Hendrix / Joan Baez / Joan Jett / Johnny Cash / Joni Mitchell / Jose Gonzalez / Joseph Arthur / Josh Ritter / Joshua Radin / Joy Division

Kate Bush / Kate Rusby / Kings of Convenience / The Kinks

Lana Del Rey / Laura Marling / Laura Mvula / Laura Nyro / Led Zeppelin / Lior / Linda Perhacs / Linda Ronstadt / Little Richard / The Lumineers / Lykke Li

Mads Langer / Magnolia Electric Co. / Marc Cohn / Marina & the Diamonds / Massive Attack / Mazzy Star / Michael Penn / Missy Higgins / The Moody Blues / Morcheeba / Mozart / MSMR / Mumford & Sons / Muse

Nada Surf / The National / Neil Young / Neko Case / Nick Cave / Nirvana

Of Monsters and Men / Otis Redding

Paloma Faith / Paramore / Passion Pit / Patty Griffin / Paul McCartney / Paul Simon / Phoenix / PJ Harvey / Portishead / Pearl Jam / Pete Yorn / Pink Floyd / Placebo

Queen

Radiohead / The Ramones / Ray Charles / Ray LaMontagne / Rickie Lee Jones / Roberta Flack / Robyn / The Rolling Stones / Ron Pope / Rufus Wainwright / Ryan Adams

Sam Cooke / Santigold / Sara Bareilles / Sara Jackson-Holman / Sarah McLachlan / The Shins / Sia / Sigur Ros / Simon & Garfunkel / The Smiths / Sufjan Stevens / The Swell Season

Tame Impala / Thea Gilmore / Thelonious Mon / Tim Hardin / Tracy Chapman

Vampire Weekend / The Velvet Underground / Vivaldi

The Wallflowers / The White Stripes / Wilco / William Fitzsimmons / The Who

The xx

Zero 7

-

Since March, however, about 75% of what I spend my time listening to is FM/SN/LB studio albums and demos/outtakes/live performances...

Last edited by nicole21290; 06-29-2013 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: because i apparently have early-onset dementia and forgot to write something...
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lately have been listening to recent albums by Lady Antebellum (Golden), Passenger (All the Little Lights) and Train (California 37). I have The B-52s Live with the Wild Crowd in Athens, GA - a 2011 concert DVD which I watch quite often (love: Dancing Now, Funplex, Give me Back my Man, Mesopotamia, Deadbeat Club, Roam, Love Shack, Wig, Rock Lobster). The B-52s put a lot more energy into their performances than Fleetwood Mac by the looks of it. Amazing to see Kate Pierson dancing around the stage with such fervour at age 63 (in 2011). Cindy Wilson is younger and just as energetic, her voice more husky and maybe slightly Stevie-like? Their singing matches Fred Schneider's bellowing quite well - the band's call and response vocals are somewhat of a signature. Keith Strickland grooves out on guitar and although he's no Lindsey Buckingham he has written some great guitar riffs and has mastered the riff Ricky Wilson wrote all those years ago for Rock Lobster (although perhaps this is not particularly difficult to play, as I play keyboard not guitar I really have no idea).

Occasionally I blast Kate Pierson's solo track Always Till Now through the speakers, it's awesome and I cannot wait for her solo album. Loving Sheryl Crow's new songs Easy and Shotgun and you can't beat All I Wanna Do - so fun, upbeat and groovy. If it Makes You Happy and My Favourite Mistake have a more sombre mood - dark and edgy but intriguing and poignant. I'm loving Ashley Monroe's album Like a Rose particularly the tracks Weed Instead of Roses and You Ain't Dolly (And You Ain't Porter). Allen's Stone's self-titled album is strangely compelling - Unaware is a fantastic song. Tonight Dad and I watched Paul McCartney on YouTube (a recent video obviously - he looks old but hasn't lost his touch or vocal charm). Then we watched this awesome tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx34ZJtiwss

Gotta love Paul and The Beatles.

Last edited by secret love; 06-29-2013 at 07:08 AM..
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannondontgo View Post
This is exactly what I listen to! I won't complain if my friends listen to anything else, but if I am by myself I will only listen to the classics. And a lot of you older folks will be surprised by how many people my age appreciate and respect the classics too. I am only 25. I have been lucky enough to have seen a lot of them in concert. Bob seger a few years back was one of the best shows ever! Almost as good as FWM or Stevie. Tom, Heart, Dolly, Kenny Rogers were great too.

They do not make music any more, or atleast that is not what is popular and playing on the radio. I don't know of any younger musicians that are around. I am sure they are out there, but I havent been exposed to them. Any sugestions???

Even modern country has gone too mainstream pop/electronic.
I have to admit I do like a few rap songs, but only if I am in the mood. And the lyrics have to bee really dirty ;-) Like: "I got a hand full of ass and fist full of weave, face down on your knees" Or "I'll show you how we pimp in the south, it aint pay day till I nut in your mouth"

Last edited by gssmith; 06-29-2013 at 08:40 AM..
Old 06-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
This is exactly what I listen to! I won't complain if my friends listen to anything else, but if I am by myself I will only listen to the classics. And a lot of you older folks will be surprised by how many people my age appreciate and respect the classics too. I am only 25. I have been lucky enough to have seen a lot of them in concert. Bob seger a few years back was one of the best shows ever! Almost as good as FWM or Stevie. Tom, Heart, Dolly, Kenny Rogers were great too.

They do not make music any more, or atleast that is not what is popular and playing on the radio. I don't know of any younger musicians that are around. I am sure they are out there, but I havent been exposed to them. Any sugestions???

Even modern country has gone too mainstream pop/electronic.
I have to admit I do like a few rap songs, but only if I am in the mood. And the lyrics have to bee really dirty ;-) Like: "I got a hand full of ass and fist full of weave, face down on your knees" Or "I'll show you how we pimp in the south, it aint pay day till I nut in your mouth"
If you like country check out Ashley Monroe's music - songs such as Like a Rose, Weed Instead of Roses, You Ain't Dolly (And You Ain't Porter). She also does a duet with Pat Monahan and his band Train called Bruises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXaaEvnnOQ

Some great younger artists - well you've probably heard of P!nk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJjlDEodVo (if you like dirty lyrics that song is a goer) and Adele http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri7-vnrJD3k

Passenger writes a lot of great music and lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBumgq5yVrA
This one is v. funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrCoiu5Fd4I

Singer/songwriter and guitarist Laura Marling is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCnK3FMuMAs

Lewis Watson is another young singer/songwriter who is making lots of sweet music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LVU34xQAo

Allen Stone is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Hy6kp5kIs

So there are a few suggestions re: younger musicians/singers.

Last edited by secret love; 06-29-2013 at 09:05 AM..
Old 06-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Radiohead. Neil Young. Bob Dylan. Muddy Waters. Elvis Costello. Nina Simone. Joni Mitchell. They Might Be Giants. Rilo Kiley. Dr Dog. Dawes. The Hold Steady. Prince. John Coltrane. Mose Allison. Clem Snide. Randy Newman. Warren Zevon. John Prine. Johnny Cash. Neko Case. Dar Williams. Miles Davis. Bright Eyes. fun. Lindsey Buckingham solo.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I listen to Tom Petty, who I just saw last week at Consol Energy Center. I like Little Big Town, Miranda Lambert, Michelle Branch. I really love alot of diverse music too. I'll listen to alot of things on XM radio.

I have changed, but you remain ageless