Tusk by CShorty55

Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Without You intro by granitedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
That Without You intro was great. A whole 7 minutes.

"1973.. no, wrong. Wrong."

I noticed before that Lindsey had made a funny face when she mentioned his Skylark. Now she said his "skylark, or buick.. skylark." So maybe he had a different kind of Buick, hah.

"Do you want to say anything at all? Not even the girlfriend thing?" Poor Stevie. Lindsey really left her hanging with his speechlessness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Highlights for me were:

1. Her admitting they weren't that poor, since they were still living with their parents and being provided with food and everything else.

2. Her saying that they had some sleazy friends.

3. Her saying Without You is the one song in the set that she can just sing without thinking about it. Um, but she's still really struggling with Dreams? She is going to need a little bit more time to work with that whole have you any dreams you'd like to sell part, before it sticks. Also, loved the way she said that right after saying that she'd probably make a whole bunch of mistakes.

Michele
Y'all!!! This is the greatest trainwreck ever! She has it up to 7 minutes!
It must be some kind of a record. I am so thrilled she finally corrected herself on a date and is right (as far as we know, if we ever see the original poem and it's dated 1969 I will be so disappointed).

Stevie prompting him for his cue to compliment her was hilarious.

Yeah, Stevie, go ahead and shorten that story. I.dare.you.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Without You intro by granitedog

Thank you dear Viv! Couldn't find it on youtube... So I make a wish and Viv fix it
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Stevie prompting him for his cue to compliment her was hilarious.
And Lindsey nodding his head and shaking it in response to her. He's a miming rascal.

Watch when they are in Los Angeles again, I guess she won't say "girlfriend."

Michele
Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac comes back, armed with hits
By Greg Haymes, Thursday, June 20, 2013 Times Union

http://www.timesunion.com/entertainm...ts-4611786.php

Albany

It's been a long time since we've seen Fleetwood Mac. They canceled their 2009 Albany show due to poor ticket sales, and the last time the band rolled into town was a decade ago, when Albany's big downtown concert venue was named the Pepsi Arena. Now it's the Times Union Center, and on Wednesday night they filled it with more than two and a half hours' worth of pretty much nonstop hits. Or at least instantly recognizable songs.

Yes, the big Mac attack was back, and from Mick Fleetwood's galloping drum intro to the opening "Second Hand News" straight through to their fourth and final encore of "Say Goodbye," they managed to come pretty darned close to re-capturing their "Rumours"-era glory days.

Fleetwood and bassist John McVie have always been the band's muscle, but the focus these days is on vocalist Stevie Nicks and vocalist-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, who respectively provide the mystic heart and the brains of the band.

In 2011, when Buckingham dished out a brilliant concert at The Egg, he explained his approach to his musical career in Hollywood terms, saying that sometimes he's in a box-office blockbuster movie (Fleetwood Mac, or as he says, "the Big Machine") and sometimes he's in a gritty, indie art-house film (his solo work). And like, say, Johnny Depp, Buckingham brings plenty of indie quirk to the table even when he's playing with the Big Machine.

Take for example, the string-strangling, big guitar freak-out that he injected into "I'm So Afraid," the willfully eccentric "Tusk" and his dark but furiously scintillating solo rendition of "Big Love."

Nicks, of course, has had the bigger solo career, and her twirling rendition of "Stand Back" was the lone song of the night that wasn't culled from the Fleetwood Mac catalog. She shined brightest in the sparser musical setting of the sublime "Silver Springs" and "Landslide" (stripped to a simple duet with Buckingham).

Nicks' witchy woman psychedelic swirl of "Gold Dust Woman" was unfortunately marred by an aimless, meandering jam, and likewise, "World Turning," the only song of the night that hinted at Fleetwood Mac's pre-platinum pop success as a blues band, was burdened with Fleetwood's drum solo, which was more entertaining than musical.

Bolstered throughout the night by at least five backing musicians, the band did offer a couple of new songs from their "Extended Play" EP, although the best of them was the charming "Without You," a previously lost Buckingham-Nicks song from their pre-Mac days. But after a night of what was predominantly '80s nostalgia, it seemed somewhat ironic that they would wrap up their first set of encores with "Don't Stop" — penned by departed member Christine McVie — singing, "Don't you look back..."

Greg Haymes is a freelance writer in Schodack.

Review

Fleetwood Mac

When: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Times Union Center, 51 S. Pearl St., Albany

Length: Two hours and 40 minutes

Highlights: Buckingham's guitar freak-out on "I'm So Afraid," McVie's thundering bass solo in the middle of "The Chain," Nicks' sublime, subdued treatment of "Silver Springs" and the blues-laced "World Turning"

Smartphone moment: "Landslide."
I think this part or GDW is only really for the fans. It could even make way for another short song instead of extending GDW this way. There are so many songs they could include if they shortened the endings on some songs. What does everyone think about this? For example, more songs on their relationship when these songs were, originally, recorded eg: "I Don't Want to Know", "What Makes You Think Your The One" or even "Smile At You" (This might be vocally challenging for her now though!). They could even sing "Cool Water". Stevie's voice on the demo is sublime and can't be surpassed but I'd like to hear her version of it at the moment. I know it is a cover but sounds wonderful and has a country flavour to it. They would just need to work out where to place the song/s so that there was continuity in the set. I think the audience and the band would both benefit from this. The audience would hear more songs and the band could change things up and it would be more exiting for them!

Last edited by BrownEyedGirl26; 06-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: I added a question mark
Old 06-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
That Without You intro was great. A whole 7 minutes.

"1973.. no, wrong. Wrong."

I noticed before that Lindsey had made a funny face when she mentioned his Skylark. Now she said his "skylark, or buick.. skylark." So maybe he had a different kind of Buick, hah.

"Do you want to say anything at all? Not even the girlfriend thing?" Poor Stevie. Lindsey really left her hanging with his speechlessness.
I love Stevie a great deal but am I the only who cringes when she rambles on stage? 7 minutes? That could be another song...or another Lindsey solo or something...I would be interested in hearing John speak for 7 minutes, however...'first time ever"

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I love Stevie a great deal but am I the only who cringes when she rambles on stage? 7 minutes? That could be another song...or another Lindsey solo or something...I would be interested in hearing John speak for 7 minutes, however...'first time ever"
No Jonathon, I love her too but I agree with you! I feel embarrassed for her actually. She doesn't need to expose her feelings so much because half of the audience won't understand and she may lose them and I don't want that for her. The band has so many songs they could play to increase their setlist and this is just wasting time and wasting the opportunity of gaining new fans.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
No Jonathon, I love her too but I agree with you! I feel embarrassed for her actually. She doesn't need to expose her feelings so much because half of the audience won't understand and she may lose them and I don't want that for her. The band has so many songs they could play to increase their setlist and this is just wasting time and wasting the opportunity of gaining new fans.
OK Good, glad I'm not the only one. I also feel embarrassed for her when she does this. It feels like she's being way too intimate with such a large and, as you mentioned, diverse crowd.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK Good, glad I'm not the only one. I also feel embarrassed for her when she does this. It feels like she's being way too intimate with such a large and, as you mentioned, diverse crowd.
Well, that's two of us at least, if only we could make an ever so gentle suggestion in her direction!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I must say, I was suprised how they all kept talking so much @ the end instead of just walking off stage. I started walking out when Mick came out and started (kind of) rambling on. I guess they just want their fans to know they've appreciated their support the last 30-40 years and (who knows), this may be their last time they are able to do this.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
I think this part or GDW is only really for the fans. It could even make way for another short song instead of extending GDW this way.
Well, it's a part of the set I really look forward to, so I like the enhancements. But you're right that maybe it only appeals to focused fans and that it could get tedious for other audience members. It's what I want though.

Michele
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, he hasn't done it onstage, but I think the last time I heard him speak at length was on the Best Buy CD in 1997 and I liked that a great deal.

Michele
Old 06-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Well, it's a part of the set I really look forward to, so I like the enhancements. But you're right that maybe it only appeals to focused fans and that it could get tedious for other audience members. It's what I want though.

Michele
It's what I want too. And not just from Fleetwood Mac, from any band/singer I go to see. I love their stories & it makes the concert for me.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The big old intro doesn't make me cringe. I just would edit that last part. It's kind of unnecessary to the history of the song.
I think most people know Stevie is a little eccentric. And, if they don't...it's kind of a fun discovery. When I first got into FM--I thought Stevie was ALL serious, all the time. Discovering her sense of humor and her storytelling abilities was great fun. And, if I'm being completely honest, I would take a 20 minute version of the history of Rhiannon over a word for word canned Lindsey intro. I have a very good friend I went to many SYW concerts with. And, we were at the stage once and she leaned over and recited Lindsey's speech about 10 seconds before he said it. Word for word.
But, I have no real complaints about this tour at all. It was really great and I think their setlist really does more than enough justice to their history as a group.
Oh-one more moment I forgot. After Landslide, Stevie said something to Lindsey and he shook his head at her and asked her to repeat it or something. Like 3 times and he kept looking at her like she was nuts and then walked away. He was definitely yanking her chain and you could tell she was dying to say something to the audience, then shook her head, laughed, and said thank you. It was adorable.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Landslide includes dedication by CShorty

Big Love by CShorty55

Not That Funny intro by kaypee24