Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Detroit

Is anyone going to Detroit Rock City?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hope someone went. Looking forward to reviews.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went- great show, great crowd- I'll post a review later when I get a break!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Oakland Press by Gary Graff

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...8055629105.txt

Concert Review: Fleetwood Mac keeps the hits coming at Joe Louis Arena

Published: Thursday, June 13, 2013

DETROIT — There were plenty of hits in Hockeytown on Wednesday night, June 12. They just didn't come from the Red Wings.

With the Stanley Cup Finals beginning in Chicago, fans instead packed Joe Louis Arena to hear an energized and ebullient Fleetwood Mac dig into a hit-laden catalog over a well-paced two and a half hours that showcased the tremendous commercial and creative success the 45-year-old group has enjoyed since Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham joined the band during the mid-70s. Christine McVie, the third songwriter in the group's multiplatinum golden age, is still missed of course, but this edition of Fleetwood Mac has, after three tours without her, clearly found a comfort level that has allowed it to expand and experiment a bit more than it's done in the recent past.

And it's not like McVie's absence blows a debilitating hole in the Mac repertoire. Nicks and Buckingham are responsible for plenty of the group's hits, thank you, and Thursday's 23-song set — opening with a powerhouse trio of "Second Hand News," "The Chain" and "Dreams" — certainly served to remind us of that fact. But the night was also freshened by a pair of new songs — the uptempo "Sad Angel" and the poetic "Without You" — from this year's "Extended Play" digital release, as well as a mini-set spotlighting 1979's controversial "Tusk" album with the title track, "Not That Funny," a smooth rendition of "Sara" and "Sisters of the Moon," which Nicks told the crowd had not been played live since 1981.

Nicks may possess the bigger hit moments — including "Rhiannon," "Gypsy" and her propulsive solo single "Stand Back" that's become part of Fleetwood Mac's arsenal — but Buckingham remained the group's most galvanizing presence onstage. His kinetic but still fluid guitar playing, both electric and acoustic, bolstered nearly every song played on Wednesday, and his own spotlights ranged from a frenetic one-man rendering of "Big Love" to extended solos at the end of "The Chain," "Go Your Own Way" and particularly the tortured epic "So Afraid."

Co-founder and drummer Mick Fleetwood, meanwhile, was as solidly in the pocket as ever; even his solo during "World Turning" was relatively restrained, in a good way. And bassist John McVie remained a subtle secret weapon who does more to propel the group than most fans realize as they focus on his flashier bandmates. It made for a remarkably spirited exposition by a group of 60-somethings (and the four additional musicians onstage), and by the time Fleetwood Mac wrapped things up with "Say Goodbye," anyone at Joe Louis certainly hoped the group meant "until next time" rather than "for good."
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are about a zillion photos from Detroit here:

http://www.schwegweb.com/shows/photo...ena-detroit-mi
Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Detroit Free Press, June 13, 2013

http://www.freep.com/article/2013061...etroit-concert

Fleetwood Mac turns back time for Detroit concertgoers 12:28 AM, June 13, 2013

It took all of 60 seconds for Fleetwood Mac to roll back a lot of years at Joe Louis Arena.

In a 2-hour, 40-minute set that showed the harmonies were still intuitive, the bonds still tight, the songs still timeless, the veteran pop-rock outfit played a mature but energetic set to an adoring sellout crowd of about 15,000 Wednesday night. It was the group’s first Michigan show in four years.

On this 35th anniversary of the era-defining “Rumours,” the band rolled into an early stretch that was heavy on that 1977 material: a brisk “Secondhand News,” a blues-laced “The Chain,” a lush “Dreams.”

Only Christine McVie was missing from a lineup whose characters remain distinctively sketched — the cool craftsman Lindsey Buckingham, the enchantress Stevie Nicks, the dapper bassist John McVie, the wild-eyed Mick Fleetwood. Backing the band were a pair of singers and utility musicians on guitar and keyboards, as McVie got cited in spirit via material such as “Don’t Stop.”

“It would seem there are quite a few chapters left in the book of Fleetwood Mac,” Buckingham told the crowd early on, during one of several talkative interludes that found band members reminiscing, reflecting and taking stock of their nearly four-decade journey.

As the voices of Buckingham and Nicks locked together on numbers such as “Rhiannon,” the amiable ex-lovers displayed the tightly wound harmonies that became one of modern pop music’s most distinctive sounds.

It wasn’t just a rote run through the hits: The band was particularly engaged with a mid-show journey through the more challenging material of “Tusk,” and Buckingham’s spare, intense reworkings of “Big Love” and “Never Going Back Again” were showstoppers. With his lithe, expressive guitar lines, the 63-year-old reaffirmed his status as one of rock’s great underrated players.

Nicks, her microphone draped in gold and black tassels, had her own sterling moments, including the arena sing-along of “Landslide” and a gorgeous “Silver Springs” late in the show. Even as she occasionally backed away from the high notes, Nicks remained a compelling figure at center stage, emphasizing the give-and-take of artist and audience as she told the crowd late in the show that “you guys are the dream-catchers.”

The emotional energy grew as a blazing “Go Your Own Way” closed out the regular set, followed by an encore that included a typically feisty Mick Fleetwood drum solo and finished with a warm and sparkling “Say Goodbye.” It was a stirring, soaring night from a band that still knows how to seduce its audience.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey everyone! So this was my second show of the tour, and the crowd was MUCH better (as a whole) than Anaheim, which made for a loose vibe and a little bit better show, in my opinion. I also had better seats this time around (fourth row of the balcony close to the stage), which I was grateful for!

Anyways, on to some highlights from the show:

Sisters of the Moon was great, it really does get stronger every time. I sensed a lingering bit of rivalry with Stevie and Lindsey trying to out do each other and really kill it on their songs, which elevates their respective performances.

Landslide was dedicated to her "fairy god daughters" Ruby and Tessa, both of whom she said were "probably in the tent with their dad" during the song, and then her ear monitors failed. She made some comment about having to go back to mobile monitors like it was 1975, which was kind of funny. "Backstage, someone help!" lol. Then the monitors were back on after like thirty seconds. The entire crowd was singing along, and Stevie was happily directing the chorus at the end as she was singing, which was cute.

Before Big Love, Lindsey had to shake out his right hand again, and this time he let it dangle and kind of made a joke out of it. Then he played Big Love flawlessly, as always. I hope the hand is not getting worse, but it doesn't seem to affect his playing.

The Without You story was longer than Anaheim, and it was seriously longer than the song, which was fine with me. I felt like she felt more comfortable with the crowd tonight, so she kept it long. She said the demo was lost twice, once by the person who "stole" it from the house, and then when they lost it themselves after they'd gotten it back. She also talked about how her voice, Lindsey's voice, and Lindsey's guitar formed this sort of triad that attracted Mick.

Gold Dust Woman was probably Stevie's most intense performance of the night, and the stagger/robotic type walk she does at the end reminds me of how she used to do it during her solo tours in the 80s and bend over at the end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRrcM_Ok3SE. John was making some of those same freaky sounds on bass, although not quite as creepy as the ones from her band on the Wild Heart Tour.

I'm So Afraid was a show stopper, and Stand Back was especially strong tonight.

During Mick's solo before World Turning, I noticed Lindsey sitting cross-legged with his guitar at the edge of his side of the stage and just watching Mick and waiting there instead of off in the wings, which was cool. Not sure if he does this every time?

I still can't get used to Stevie singing Don't Stop. It's better than when she tried to do it solo at that one Clinton gala, but it made me miss Christine that much more--I'm excited for when she joins them in England.

I would write more, but I've got to go to to work! I'll try to post some video later as well.

Last edited by Blueletter18; 06-13-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A "sparkling" Say Goodbye?? Yes, it's warm, but sparkly, like an energetic bubbly champagne that tickles your nose and delights?

Michele
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's a beautiful review. Thank you, Blueletter.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueletter18 View Post
Before Big Love, Lindsey had to shake out his right hand again, and this time he let it dangle and kind of made a joke out of it. Then he played Big Love flawlessly, as always. I hope the hand is not getting worse, but it doesn't seem to affect his playing.
It's just for show, he's been doing this at least since the November leg of OMS.

Quote:
During Mick's solo before World Turning, I noticed Lindsey sitting cross-legged with his guitar at the edge of his side of the stage and just watching Mick and waiting there instead of off in the wings, which was cool. Not sure if he does this every time?
He does do this every show

Last edited by redtulip; 06-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She made some comment about having to go back to mobile monitors like it was 1975, which was kind of funny. "Backstage, someone help!" lol.
Oh, that really is funny.

Glad to hear she didn't try to cut back on Without Love again.

Yes, Lindsey always sits on the side of the stage, but not just for this tour, he's done that for many years, when NTF was the drum solo as well and Mick was still using the drum vest. Lindsey was sitting on the stage.

So, I was thinking that Mick wouldn't have his daughters on tour with him again until they came back to California in about a month, based on what he said in Anaheim, but it sounds like he's still got them. They must be on summer vacation. Good for him.

Stevie must have 250 godchildren. I wonder if she tries to remember all of their birthdays, graduations . . . she can't afford to retire just based on the gifts she has to buy for those godchildren!

Michele
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Today it rained here as hard as it rained at Carolyn Stoddard's funeral.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegirl View Post
That's a beautiful review. Thank you, Blueletter.
Aw, thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, that really is funny.

Yes, Lindsey always sits on the side of the stage, but not just for this tour, he's done that for many years, when NTF was the drum solo as well and Mick was still using the drum vest. Lindsey was sitting on the stage.

So, I was thinking that Mick wouldn't have his daughters on tour with him again until they came back to California in about a month, based on what he said in Anaheim, but it sounds like he's still got them. They must be on summer vacation. Good for him.

Stevie must have 250 godchildren. I wonder if she tries to remember all of their birthdays, graduations . . . she can't afford to retire just based on the gifts she has to buy for those godchildren!

Michele
Yeah, he said it was their last show with him for a while, but I was surprised too that they would come all the way to Detroit!
Old 06-14-2013, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
It's just for show, he's been doing this at least since the November leg of OMS.

He does do this every show
Whew! Good to know.

Oh, and here's Landslide:

and Sisters...

Last edited by Blueletter18; 06-14-2013 at 12:34 AM..