The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Pick 2 albums that represent Christine at her very best!!
Future Games / Bare Trees / Penguin 3 4.62%
Mystery to Me 16 24.62%
Heroes Are Hard to Find 2 3.08%
'75 Fleetwood Mac 10 15.38%
Rumours 31 47.69%
Tusk 21 32.31%
Mirage 5 7.69%
Tango in the Night 38 58.46%
Behind the Mask 4 6.15%
Time 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Kinda wish I'd seen the BTM tour. Was she quite energetic? Some Dance reviews say Chris by then looked like she'd checked out, but I get the impression in 1990/91 that she was still pretty into performing.
Chris was very interactive and present on the BTM tour, I don't really think she had a choice, thought, to step up and take charge. Billy and Rick were the newbies and Stevie was there physically but that's it.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
Chris was very interactive and present on the BTM tour, I don't really think she had a choice, thought, to step up and take charge. Billy and Rick were the newbies and Stevie was there physically but that's it.
I'm all for John doing some song introductions, as he used to in the early/mid-70s!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I'm all for John doing some song introductions, as he used to in the early/mid-70s!
I never knew he did that! That certainly would shake up their current tour just a little bit!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
I never knew he did that! That certainly would shake up their current tour just a little bit!!
I have a few recordings where, for example, he'd introduce Rhiannon. It was nice; I like it when John is involved more.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Junior Ledgie

Er...I would write in "In The Meantime" if that were possible.. I know it's not FM, but it's definitely up there as some of her best work, EVER.

Tango In the Night IS Christine's album, she totally owned it. Her vocals, writing, melodies, arrangements are amazing. I especially love "Mystified" and "Little Lies"...the harmonies on both songs during the chorus are to die for... *sighs happily*

I also voted for Rumours because "Oh Daddy" and "YMLF" are probably my two favorite Chris songs. And I couldn't help but vote for BTM..this album is significant because Chris was more or less the creative leader on it, whereas it's usually Lindsey who does that. Her influence is apparent in almost every song. It's just a great album. I especially love "Behind the Mask", what a beauty.

Oh Chris...everything you do is magic
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkaboutme90 View Post
. And I couldn't help but vote for BTM..this album is significant because Chris was more or less the creative leader on it, whereas it's usually Lindsey who does that. Her influence is apparent in almost every song. It's just a great album. I especially love "Behind the Mask", what a beauty.

Oh Chris...everything you do is magic
Nice shout out to her Behind the Mask songs. Save Me is just a good as her Tango songs.

...although I'm going with the same as you Rumours and Tango in the Night.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to think, based on chart performance, that her Tusk songs weren't as strong as the ones from the other four mega-Mac albums. But over the years I have found myself returning very often to her Tusk songs. They have this ethereal quality that is all loveglow or something. Her vocals on the album are outstanding.

I chose her Rumours and Fleetwood Mac (75) songs simply because she was in such great form on those records, but not because I think the other records show a tapering off. If there is any record on which I am disappointed with her overall output it would be Behind the Mask--but there I largely blame the production. The title tune and Save Me would have sounded great in a different context.

Oh, and here's a not-so random shout out for Sugar Daddy.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I used to think, based on chart performance, that her Tusk songs weren't as strong as the ones from the other four mega-Mac albums. But over the years I have found myself returning very often to her Tusk songs. They have this ethereal quality that is all loveglow or something. Her vocals on the album are outstanding.

I chose her Rumours and Fleetwood Mac (75) songs simply because she was in such great form on those records, but not because I think the other records show a tapering off. If there is any record on which I am disappointed with her overall output it would be Behind the Mask--but there I largely blame the production. The title tune and Save Me would have sounded great in a different context.

I love Sugar Daddy! It makes me very happy
Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Can you imagine LB on the guitar solo of Save Me... uhhhh

Also agree on the Tusk tunes. What I used to skim over I now love to death. There's just something so real about them.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Ledgie

'Tango' and 'Mystery' for me too. I actually really like her contributions to 'Mirage' too.

x
Old 06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Junior Ledgie

Lol...I like the random car honk in "Sugar Daddy"...

Christine's songs on Tusk have sort of a less is more, intimate feel to it, which I love. Most of her songs on there just consist of her voice and a couple other instruments, and her lyrics are especially honest and emotional...sorta giving us a rare glimpse of who she was at the time. And God...I love "Never Make Me Cry"!
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to go with Rumours and Tango in the Night, though it's close for Mystery to Me (I should relisten to those songs). On Tango, it's clear Christine was the MVP of the album: two hits with Little Lies and Everywhere, and I love Isn't It Midnight, which is a pretty strong rock song from Chris with great guitar work. And Rumours, it's hard to deny the greatness of You Make Loving Fun. I love Oh Daddy, the intricacies of the sounds of that song, its production. The poignancy of Songbird. Yes, Don't Stop isn't at the same level as the other songs, but Christine was certainly at a career peak for the Rumours album, as were arguably Stevie and Lindsey. There's a reason that album is considered one of the greatest albums ever made (apart from sales and the pop culture phenomenon), everyone brought their A-game. I do wish, like The Beatles or The Stones, the overall greatness of one album could have translated to several more albums of equal or greater quality (that were perceived in that manner when they were released).
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mystery To Me...that's a definite. "Believe Me", "Just Crazy Love", "Why"...superb! "The Way That I Feel" is kind of so-so; but, she did a GREAT vocal on Bob Welch's "Keep On Going"!!

Future Games..."Morning Rain" & "Show Me A Smile" not too shabby of a debut on a FMac album. With a little editing "Morning Rain" could've been a good single, but it suffered from the era it was recorded, with the whole "jam" mentality. (plus, she probably needed to raise the key a bit. It's just a little bit too low for her range)

Bare Trees..."Spare Me A Little Of Your Love", good, but not great (however later live versions with the BN harmonies improved it quite a bit); "Homeward Bound", suffered from the same things as "Morning Rain", just a little bit too low of a key for her voice.

Penguin...now here's where she starts to take off..."Remember Me", "Dissatisfied", "Did You Ever Love Me?"...GREAT songs.

Heroes Are Hard To Find...a little dip in quality, but still pretty good...the title cut is catchy, why it didn't do better in the charts is a head-scratcher. "Come A Little Bit Closer" & "Prove Your Love" were standard CMcVie fare..."Bad Loser" is off the hook! One of my favorite Christine songs of all-time.

Penguin & Mystery To Me:
1973 was a VERY GOOD YEAR for Christine McVie!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mirage and Tango.

I'm one of the 4 people who actually like "Only Over You" and "Wish You Were Here"...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I'm one of the 4 people who actually like "Only Over You" and "Wish You Were Here"...
Counting me, 5 Just doesn't mean I think Mirage was high on the list of Christine's best work, however.