User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavi4 View Post
That's what I've come to expect. 2017 album and tour (band's 50th, Rumours's 40th, Tango's 30th, Dance's 20th anniversaries). I just hope all of this pressure for new material from fans doesn't cause the band to release another Say You Will type double album that sounds very disjoint and includes way too many poor songs that should have been scrapped. I'd prefer an 11 track album that flows nicely to an 18-20 track bloated double album that's crammed with filler for the sole purpose of getting as much new material out as possible. Even with Stevie just contributing a few vault songs, there should be enough quality material from the 3 to create a relatively even single album without any weak fillers.
I love SYW.Mac always puts out great tunes but some they should keep off the tour set lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And this is why I'm here.

The deluxe edition is as annoying as the original double album package. It's impossible to handle it without 5 things falling onto the floor.

Michele
I love that photo .Thanks Michele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
syw is full of filler?!?!?!? i'm not talking to you ever again!!

just wondering, which songs people think are filler on syw?

i dislike and can't listen to most of Stevie's song on that album, but that's just my taste, i would never call those songs filler! something you don't like is not the same as filler.

well, maybe wtwict would be a filler for me on syw
Hahaha .Thats the problem with food these days. Too much filler in it.I noticed that an issue with the current artists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I'm with you. Say You Will is a good album. Taking consideration to the dearth of the band's output in contrast to their longevity, I'm appreciative of anything they put out. Sure, Say You Will could be a tighter album if it was pared down. Some could say that about Tusk too. But they are what they are, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm hoping they record more songs than required (10 to 12) for a traditional album. There seems to to be a trend now of longer albums and/or bonus tracks.
I hope so to.I forget the count of the song they've done already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I think albums are shorter than they once were. At one time people tried to pack the CD to the brim and I think they've come away from that.
I agree .Less music and cost more to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I respect your opinion but just wanted to say that to me SYW is a very good album and I am glad to have all those songs. I would always welcome another double album from FM.That's a whole slew new songs for us to enjoy the rest of our lives. Music that we deserve.
I thought SYW was a great album.It had great radio airplay.I really enjoyed SYW.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I respect your opinion but just wanted to say that to me SYW is a very good album and I am glad to have all those songs. I would always welcome another double album from FM.That's a whole slew new songs for us to enjoy the rest of our lives. Music that we deserve.
I completely agree. I love Say You Will just as it is. Some of my favorite all-time Stevie and Lindsey songs are on that album.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I adore Say You Will and, after Tusk, it's probably the album of theirs I listen to most. I could happily scrap Silver Girl and I'm not a huge fan of WTWCT (though a few of the lyrics interest me), but the rest, even including the bonus tracks? So thankful for each and every one of them. Even if I wish Say Goodbye had been recorded at the pace they played it live...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 12-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love that song.
ditto! I think it's one of the closest on the record to the classic "full band sound"
Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
syw is full of filler?!?!?!? i'm not talking to you ever again!!

just wondering, which songs people think are filler on syw?

i dislike and can't listen to most of Stevie's song on that album, but that's just my taste, i would never call those songs filler! something you don't like is not the same as filler.

well, maybe wtwict would be a filler for me on syw
Let's just start with the opening song which is an utter piece of crap..
so is Peacekeeper, Destiny Rules, so is Silver Girl, so is Goodbye Baby. Really can't stand the title track, either.

I love Illume, Miranda, Come, Running Through The Garden, Everybody Finds Out... Would have been a great EP... lol
Old 12-14-2015, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Let's just start with the opening song which is an utter piece of crap..
so is Peacekeeper, Destiny Rules, so is Silver Girl, so is Goodbye Baby. Really can't stand the title track, either.

I love Illume, Miranda, Come, Running Through The Garden, Everybody Finds Out... Would have been a great EP... lol
a great EP?

while you and i agree on the opening song, apparently we are the only ones if you look at the comments above in this thread.

the rest on your list? i know you are not serious now . you are clear that you are talking about the songs you don't like, but mot necessarily about the filler songs. but you called them filler originally, and everyone likes and dislikes different songs on SYW so i feel a string need to defend this album, since some of my all time favorite songs are on it (and yeah sure solo LB GOS would have been much better but that ship has sailed).

here's the track list - with my opinion on what is a filler vs what i don't like -

1. "What's the World Coming To?" - filler, don't like, hurts my ears.
2. "Murrow Turning Over in His Grave" - stunning song (but it's rocking, and not for poppy or adult contemporary taste so if that's your musical taste - sure you will not like this song. not a filler)
3. "Illume (9–11)" - if i didn't read all the opinions here, i would consider this song a filler. it hurts my ears.
4. "Thrown Down" - definitely not a filler, it's going for a pop hit, old time rumours-era FM vibe (but eh to me)
5. "Miranda" - not a filler (but eh to me)
6. "Red Rover" - unbelievable, stunning, intricate song. not for everyone's taste, but definitely not a filler. some consider it one of Lindsey's best.
7. "Say You Will" - see Thrown Down
8. "Peacekeeper" - great lyrics, for music see Thrown Down, but less formulaic
9. "Come" - hard rocking song. not for the light of heart, pop / adult-contemporary-music-liking FM fans. definitely not a filler. trying to show Mac can rock. apparently many FM fans don't want them to.
10. "Smile at You" - eh, too bad this was not the original version, which did rock unlike this one. but not a filler.
11. "Running Through the Garden" - this one hurts my ears too, but it's definitely not a filler.
12. "Silver Girl" - eh, this one really does seem to be a filler, however you turn it or look at it. boring, droning.
13. "Steal Your Heart Away" - not a filler, no need to even discuss
14. "Bleed to Love Her" - one of Lindsey's prettiest songs. not a filler, no need to even discuss
15. "Everybody Finds Out" - rocking, although boring to me. but not a filler.
16. "Destiny Rules" - gorgeous guitar parts save this one from the droning voice. definitely not a filler.
17. "Say Goodbye" - Lindsey channeling some old crooners. although intricate guitar parts that should have been used in a better song. can't stand this song. but people don''t consider it a filler, and love it. FM members definitely don't consider it a filler.
18. "Goodbye Baby" - i think this song is pretty. could have been better, more melodic, etc, but still. pretty. not a filler.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
a great EP?

while you and i agree on the opening song, apparently we are the only ones if you look at the comments above in this thread.

the rest on your list? i know you are not serious now . you are clear that you are talking about the songs you don't like, but mot necessarily about the filler songs. but you called them filler originally, and everyone likes and dislikes different songs on SYW so i feel a string need to defend this album, since some of my all time favorite songs are on it (and yeah sure solo LB GOS would have been much better but that ship has sailed).

here's the track list - with my opinion on what is a filler vs what i don't like -

1. "What's the World Coming To?" - filler, don't like, hurts my ears.
2. "Murrow Turning Over in His Grave" - stunning song (but it's rocking, and not for poppy or adult contemporary taste so if that's your musical taste - sure you will not like this song. not a filler)
3. "Illume (9–11)" - if i didn't read all the opinions here, i would consider this song a filler. it hurts my ears.
4. "Thrown Down" - definitely not a filler, it's going for a pop hit, old time rumours-era FM vibe (but eh to me)
5. "Miranda" - not a filler (but eh to me)
6. "Red Rover" - unbelievable, stunning, intricate song. not for everyone's taste, but definitely not a filler. some consider it one of Lindsey's best.
7. "Say You Will" - see Thrown Down
8. "Peacekeeper" - great lyrics, for music see Thrown Down, but less formulaic
9. "Come" - hard rocking song. not for the light of heart, pop / adult-contemporary-music-liking FM fans. definitely not a filler. trying to show Mac can rock. apparently many FM fans don't want them to.
10. "Smile at You" - eh, too bad this was not the original version, which did rock unlike this one. but not a filler.
11. "Running Through the Garden" - this one hurts my ears too, but it's definitely not a filler.
12. "Silver Girl" - eh, this one really does seem to be a filler, however you turn it or look at it. boring, droning.
13. "Steal Your Heart Away" - not a filler, no need to even discuss
14. "Bleed to Love Her" - one of Lindsey's prettiest songs. not a filler, no need to even discuss
15. "Everybody Finds Out" - rocking, although boring to me. but not a filler.
16. "Destiny Rules" - gorgeous guitar parts save this one from the droning voice. definitely not a filler.
17. "Say Goodbye" - Lindsey channeling some old crooners. although intricate guitar parts that should have been used in a better song. can't stand this song. but people don''t consider it a filler, and love it. FM members definitely don't consider it a filler.
18. "Goodbye Baby" - i think this song is pretty. could have been better, more melodic, etc, but still. pretty. not a filler.
Wow, we do agree.. except 18 is awful... 14 just plain don't like it.. but not filler.. I agree... I like 11, but yeah Stevie was not in great voice on most of this album.. drone is a good word for it...
Old 12-14-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Wow, we do agree.. except 18 is awful... 14 just plain don't like it.. but not filler.. I agree... I like 11, but yeah Stevie was not in great voice on most of this album.. drone is a good word for it...
oh and I love #2 and 6
Old 12-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Another opinion on Say You Will:

The only Stevie songs I like on it are Thrown Down, Goodbye Baby, and to a lesser extent Destiny Rules.

The only Lindsey songs I DON'T like on it are Peacekeeper, Miranda, and Come.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Another opinion on Say You Will:

The only Stevie songs I like on it are Thrown Down, Goodbye Baby, and to a lesser extent Destiny Rules.

The only Lindsey songs I DON'T like on it are Peacekeeper, Miranda, and Come.
You like What's the World Coming To more than Come or Miranda?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
WTWCT is the weak link of Lindsey's songs to me, though there's a neat lyric or two. Musically, I find it fairly uninspiring. Silver Girl is definitely the weak link of the album, though. Other than those (and some production choices and vocals I would have re-done), I think it's a pretty solid album, especially considering its length.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"

Last edited by nicole21290; 12-15-2015 at 02:55 AM..
Old 12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
WTWCT is my favorite song on SYW.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like (not love) all of Say You Will...except Red Rover and Come.

Red Rover has some complicated stuff going on, but it just annoys me to no end. About half-way through I say "No." and press the button to skip it. It's the chorus, I think, if I had to pinpoint my annoyances.

Come I don't like because of the slow-MANIC-slow-MANIC verse and chord structure.

The rest of the album is technically great but Stevie's *soul* is completely lacking from all of her songs.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-14-2015, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I see SYW as Stevie's best solo effort, the 9 tunes of hers produced by Linds certainly consistently exceed any of her solo albums. Excellent production and Linds managed to tease some great vocals out of her when she was vocally not at the top of her game, and he is a genius in the studio. I especially love Illume, Running through the Garden, and Smile at You.
Linds doing his own stuff gives me a migraine on this one.... with the exception of Steal Your Heart Away. The man should stick to producing and stop pretending to be a songwriter. Or a singer. Ick.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I see SYW as Stevie's best solo effort, the 9 tunes of hers produced by Linds certainly consistently exceed any of her solo albums. Excellent production and Linds managed to tease some great vocals out of her when she was vocally not at the top of her game, and he is a genius in the studio.
I agree with the bolded text, but not the first part of your statement. All of the ingredients were there, but for me, they just didn't pull it off.

To me, Stevie's vocals come off as sterile. When she emotes, it's too careful and measured. She's trying too hard. Girl can't let her hair down. Honestly, it's probably to shut Lindsey up because I get the impression that he so very much enjoys nit picking at her over little details.

Then again, as the Producer, that's sort of his job.

I do believe neither one of them is capable of taking a technical approach to the other's songs without letting emotions get in the way. In the machine of Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey is granted too much influence over the end result of Stevie's songs; both the band and the album would benefit greatly from an outside producer taking the helm completely. Someone up-and-coming but known by none of them personally. If I were the band counselor, that would be my prescription for them.

Lindsey is a pro - I can't deny that - but the magic that he gave to Stevie tracks of yore just isn't there anymore to my ears, and I don't know that it even exists in him to do that anymore. There was an emotional investment going into those songs back then that can't exist now.

Or maybe it can. I don't know, but I don't hear it on any of the tracks recorded for Say You Will.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case