User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Future Games
and close second: Bare Trees

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bare Trees is possibly the best album released under the FM name.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kiln House is my favorite Mac album after the white album and Rumours.

Then Play On is right behind it.

The 71-74 stuff is all very rewarding though, to various degrees, uneven. If I had to pick a favorite of that time it'd be Penguin. But I couldn't live without certain songs from all of those records.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Bare Trees is possibly the best album released under the FM name.
I do love Kirwan's stuff on that--and only wish Trinity was included on it somewhere. Child of Mine still catches fire. And Dust is perfection.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If I must choose one, it would be Heroes are Hard to Find.

I also really like Then Play On, Bare Trees, MTM, Kiln House and Future Games.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, Then Play On. But I basicly like them all (sans Penguin, maybe) better than Tango In The Night, Behind The Mask and Time.

Last edited by shackin'up; 06-16-2014 at 04:39 AM..
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Oh, Then Play On. But I basicly like them all (sans Penguin, maybe) better than Tango In The Night, Behind The Mask and Time.
It pays to set the bar low.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi All,
1) Mystery To Me- consistently high quality.
2) Bare Trees- Needed to have Trinity as a closer to side one.
3) Heroes Are Hard to Find- I've been listening to this a lot recently. It recently struck me that Christines four songs here are all great. I never used to think much of Bad Loser but I can now even appreciate that too. She really was approaching her song crafting maturity by this album. Its a pity HAHTF features what I feel to be a couple of Bob Welch's weakest offerings.

4) Future Games- such a dreamy album. I've genuinely never been into drugs and would never condone their use but I could imagine this being an ideal album for those so inclined to chill out to under a tree on a hot sunny day. sadly just too short as an album.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bare Trees, because it's the last piece of art from the Kirwan-Welch-McVie work. It has really high moments, with Child of Mine, Sunny Side of Heaven, Sentimental Lady, and Spare Me A Little.

Penguin, because is the forgotten one from the Welch-McVie days. Remember Me, Bright Fire, Did you ever love me? and the underrated Bob Weston's gem Caught in the Rain are the highest moments here.

I would include Mystery to Me for its energy and songs like Emerald Eyes, Hypnotized and Forever.

Regards!
Mark.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default For me;

It's the first album titled "Fleetwood Mac", and "Then Play On". Despite the fact I love the song "Hypnotized", the newly remastered TPO on CD released last year should settle all arguments. TPO juxtaposed Rumours. It's why both versions of the band are in the RnR Hall of Fame.

While I have a pop FM GH's CD in my collection, My band died when Danny Kirwan was fired. Bare Trees was the last of the first era of FM. While Mick Fleetwood was happy making money hand over fist with his new pop band in 1975, he missed the blues version, sorry.

Last edited by slipkid; 06-20-2014 at 11:58 PM..
Old 06-21-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It pays to set the bar low.
Haha!! great one..
Old 06-21-2014, 12:47 AM

Mystery To Me or Heroes... so close...
Old 06-21-2014, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hard to decide, all of these albums are great. I'm going with Future Games, such rich arrangements, performed to perfection. This line up showed so much promise and Sometimes should be right up there with any song by Badfinger or America as a top single of the early 70's although edited down about 1 minute for the radio. There is nobody in the world of rock and roll as under appreciated than Danny Kirwan. At least Station Man gets its due on satellite radio. Christine McVie also wrote two of her best songs on the album, so diverse and sung with conviction, "perfect". Bob Welch also gave his best performance with the band on the title track. Future Games is a desert island record.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I Excise Roadrunner and it's fine.
Exactly! A better choice would've been a cover of the Temptations' "Can't Get Next To You". Sure, Dave already had done it on Savoy Brown's Street Corner Talking album just prior to joining FMac, but it is a much stronger song all around.

I've experimented by making a playlist on my iPod subbing "CGNTY" for "Roadrunner" and it flows a whole lot better.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Hard to decide, all of these albums are great. I'm going with Future Games, such rich arrangements, performed to perfection. This line up showed so much promise and Sometimes should be right up there with any song by Badfinger or America as a top single of the early 70's although edited down about 1 minute for the radio. There is nobody in the world of rock and roll as under appreciated than Danny Kirwan. At least Station Man gets its due on satellite radio. Christine McVie also wrote two of her best songs on the album, so diverse and sung with conviction, "perfect". Bob Welch also gave his best performance with the band on the title track. Future Games is a desert island record.

Bob Welch's song,"Future Games" was his best work in FM, until "Sentimental Lady"(Bare Trees).

These albums were around in the late 1980's in America. Again, Mick Fleetwood made sure the early Fleetwood Mac would not be uncovered until the "Rumours" band quit. If it wasn't for the internet, and youtube, Peter Green would be some lost soul who joined John Mayall for six months.