The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My hunch is that Christine officially joined the band prior to the Kiln House tour, but they said she was a "guest" because she was still under contract with Blue Horizon. I think that's also partially why she started going by Christine McVie. I mean, she DID work as Christine Perfect for a while after she married John.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
My hunch is that Christine officially joined the band prior to the Kiln House tour, but they said she was a "guest" because she was still under contract with Blue Horizon. I think that's also partially why she started going by Christine McVie. I mean, she DID work as Christine Perfect for a while after she married John.
I don't think so Steve, for a couple of reasons. For starters, the tour followed very closely on the heels of the KH sessions. If she signed on prior to the actual tour, that would have made her an official member of the group during the Kiln House project, and I think that can be pretty much ruled out (unless you mean a very short time before the tour). I never heard of any FM contract being signed by CM prior to that summer of '70 tour. Beyond that, her relatively light involvement on Kiln House would strongly point to her enlistment a side player only. I think the only sure-fire way she could have been induced out of "retirement" was with the allure of becoming a full fledged member of the Mac. To my knowledge, that BH contract did more to bind her recording-wise than it did regarding stage or live performances.

If it had not been for those BH contractual obligations (and recording resistance), I'm positive Christy would have been credited as being a guest artist on the Kiln House project in addition to the album artwork acknowledgement she did receive, but not as a direct member of the band. Maybe Jeremy will spot this and give us his assessment and recollections. I'd also be interested to know where Kiln House was recorded - I've heard it was at that country estate, but were they really set up as such in that rental to pull off a full project? I know FM recorded a lot at CBS Studios on New Bond, and later at Advision in London. But what about Kiln House, and Then Play On for that matter? Bust out your reference books boys, or JS put on your thinking cap and do tell.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thinking back on it, could they have been done at Kingsway Recorders, the old De Lane Lea studios? Or maybe Olympic Studios in London? What can I say ... the mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Ledgie

Default Benifolds...

Benifolds is definately in Hampshire (but close to the border of Hampshire/Sussex/Surrey). Haslemere in Surrey is only a few miles away.... here is an ariel photo..

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&t=...-0.815499&z=17
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Not to be overlooked

Yes, and how delicious is the irony that one of the key stretches of road between Kiln House and Benifolds is <> Green Street <>
Old 01-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
For starters, the tour followed very closely on the heels of the KH sessions. If she signed on prior to the actual tour, that would have made her an official member of the group during the Kiln House project, and I think that can be pretty much ruled out (unless you mean a very short time before the tour).
That's exactly what I meant. I think she became an official member of the band, at least as far as the rest of the band was concerned, contract or no, when she agreed to go on tour and began rehearsing for the tour with them, and was an official member of the band when she flew out with them to New Orleans. Again, maybe not under a contract (for legal reasons), but at least in spirit.

I also contend that the "guest" stuff and deciding to change her name over to McVie was due in large part to the BH contract.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I also contend that the "guest" stuff and deciding to change her name over to McVie was due in large part to the BH contract.
I also think that Christine hated being named "Perfect" and that contributed to her changing her name to McVie. I doubt that she ever really considered keeping her own name, even professionally, despite the fact that she had an established reputation with that name.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

About Chris officially joining, Mick says: "Before we went on the road in America with that album [Kiln House], we asked her to join."
Chris: "Ten days later I was in America, in New Orleans. I'd never been to America in my life... with Fleetwood Mac! I couldn't believe it."
Mick: "She learned the songs in New Orleans before the first show."

On Wikipedia it says Kiln House was recorded during June and July 1970 and was released September 18. The last show before the recording was May 28 in London, with an additional show on July 9. The first show after the recording of Kiln House was on August 1 at the Warehouse Cafe in New Orleans. Judging by what Christine and Mick say on the Mick Fleetwood Story dvd, I imagine Chris joined sometime at the end of July 1970, with her first show on August 1.

Just for kicks, here are some pictures from August 28-29 (or a few days before/after) 1970 in NYC, shortly after Christine went on tour.

Also, does anyone have an exact date for the day Jeremy left the band? I'm watching The Mick Fleetwood Story and Mick says he left around the time of the earthquake in LA. I did a little bit of research into February 1971 earthquakes in California. One happened on February 9, at 6:0o am, in the San Fernando Valley. Then Mick says, "that afternoon, maybe within three hours, he was gone." So, does February 9 sound correct? (I'm aware that Jeremy might not have announced his departure that day, considering he was 'missing' for anywhere between three to five days. So, I guess it could've happened somewhere between the 12-15th after the band found him.)

From Wikipedia: "Shortly before a journey of the band from San Francisco to Los Angeles, LA experienced a major earthquake. Being in a fragile mental state and filled with strong negative premonitions, Spencer was very apprehensive about having to travel to LA. He unsuccessfully pleaded with Fleetwood to cancel this leg of the tour. Shortly after arriving in LA, and on the day of a gig the group was scheduled to perform at the Whiskey A Go Go, Spencer left the hotel room he shared with Fleetwood to visit a bookshop on Hollywood Boulevard. Spencer did not return, however, forcing the cancellation of that evening's concert, while the band and members of their entourage went searching for him. Some days later, he was found to have joined the religious group the Children of God, and he declared that he no longer wanted to be involved with Fleetwood Mac."

However, according to the Fleetwood Mac Legacy tour dates page, FM had dates scheduled for Feb. 11, 12, 13, 14 at the Fillmore West in San Francisco. There was another gig on the 19th in San Bernardino, and after that they went to the east coast. It says Jeremy's last concert was on February 14.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."

Last edited by Moz; 01-03-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I also think that Christine hated being named "Perfect" and that contributed to her changing her name to McVie. I doubt that she ever really considered keeping her own name, even professionally, despite the fact that she had an established reputation with that name.
Here's a quote from the Penguin bio on Christine:

Incidentally, she claims that it was difficult growing up with the surname 'Perfect': "My schoolteacher would say to me, 'Well I certainly hope you are, Christine.' It was severe... a lot of people ask me why I still keep my married name, now that I'm no longer married, and the answer is obvious-- because I didn't like the name Perfect! "

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nice work so far Moz. In the name of accuracy, a few suggestions:

What backing vocals did Christine provide? Also to my knowledge Jeremy only provided piano backing on the track Oh Well.
Oh Well wasn't part of the original release (UK) of Then Play On. Thus one could say that Jeremy didn't take any part in the album.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Joanne:

*FACT*

Moz:
About Chris officially joining, Mick says: "Before we went on the road in America with that album [Kiln House], we asked her to join."
Chris: "Ten days later I was in America, in New Orleans. I'd never been to America in my life... with Fleetwood Mac! I couldn't believe it."
Mick: "She learned the songs in New Orleans before the first show."

That sums it up nicely, and is about where SteveMac and I placed it - just after the Kiln House project, and just before the performance at The Warehouse. Brings everything to full (explanatory) circle in regards to aleuzzi and my earlier exchange to boot.

Moz:
The first show after the recording of Kiln House was on August 1 at the Warehouse Cafe in New Orleans.

If Aug 1 can be confirmed, then Chris was technically a member either in mid-to-late July, or at the beginning of August per that first performance (as is often cited). In the same vein, it's hard to say whether Fleetwood Mac was "formed" in July of 1967 during early rehearsals, or on August 13 per their first official performance at Windsor. [I lean toward the latter]

Wouter:
Oh Well wasn't part of the original release (UK) of Then Play On. Thus one could say that Jeremy didn't take any part in the album.

Good point Wouter! Technically it could be argued Jeremy was completely absent from the TPO release. Wow.

OTOH :: Oh Well was recorded and released as a single during the same period (and sessions), so it's kind of hard to think of TPO as being sans Oh Well. The Yanks sure never saw it that way, and they are after all what came to really matter after TPO was released! [-- with the falling off the radar the band took in the UK and much of Europe after Green departed, and their gradual embrace on this side of the Atlantic particularly after the release of Then Play On. Some in Europe were even abandoning FM shortly after TPO was released and before Green left, claiming the Mac had "sold out" their blues roots!]
Old 01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On the JS disappearing act

Moz: Also, does anyone have an exact date for the day Jeremy left the band?

Well the band was in the midst of the Fillmore West run in SF when the Sylmar quake occurred [Feb 9], one of the true "biggies" that crumpled a swath of SoCal. That shaker claimed some 65 lives and rung up more than half a billion dollars in damage, to include the destruction of a few freeway interchanges, two hospitals, and part of the Van Norman Dam. While still in NorCal, Jeremy saw all that occurred as a bad portend. He was already in a pretty uneasy state of mind as it was, his self-doubt regarding his star-power having risen to the fore, and then there was an untimely dose of mescaline compounding matters. All helped to create a pretty fiery psychological mix.

It is well known that JS disappeared on the day the group arrived in L.A., not long after they checked into that ramshackle hotel. They were scheduled to perform that night at the Whisky on the Sunset Strip. The recurring aftershocks from the earlier earthquake, the gray and yellow smog that prevailed in the air partly from the destruction, all must have seemed eerie beyond belief. Then again, perhaps it was just his time. After all, he saw his pal Peter begin to mentally unravel due to the pressures of rock success before him, coupled with excessive substance indulgence and personal insecurities (as would Danny but a few short years after him). That makes for a rather sad c'est la vie summation for any and all involved.[*]

However in Spencer's case, he was always predisposed to a more religious view of things going back to his first days in the band (stage appearances notwithstanding), so it could be argued he simply found his true calling with the Children Of God in the wild haze of LA. Be that as it may, one would have to determine (or confirm) the last date the band performed at the Fillmore to pinpoint things better. They had a series of engagements there, that I know. Or of course the nixed Whisky A Go Go concert date!

[*] Heck, even Lindsey Buckingham admitted that touring, and the myriad of pressures and temptations that come with it, would have destroyed him after the Tango project! And so he refused to take the plunge (well, for an additional 10 years anyway).

EDIT: You're doing a good job as it is zeroing in on it Moz. You just need to pinpoint the Last Fillmore SF or first Whisky LA date. Where is sharksfan and that Hjorte bible he packs when you need 'em!

Last edited by snoot; 01-03-2009 at 11:35 PM..
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for all the insight!

Quote:
Or of course the nixed Whisky A Go Go concert date!
I never thought about this before... but when was that concert supposed to happen?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Thanks for all the insight! I never thought about this before... but when was that concert supposed to happen?
Ha! The same day they arrived in LA, the Whisky being located between Hollywood to the east and Beverly Hills to the west and south, all part of greater Los Angeles metro (burbs upon more burbs in reality, with cities overlapping ever greater cities in a blurring of boundaries). This would have been the day after their final Fillmore West appearance in San Francisco, and less than a week before Swing Auditorium.

I had a ticket stub to The Swing in San Berdoo that followed thereafter once upon a time, but damn if I can find it now. May possibly be in an old scrapbook -- I know I once saved some wicked concert events in such things - but where are those precious things buried this many years later! Sadly I've moved a lot. Arrghhh
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Here's a quote from the Penguin bio on Christine:

Incidentally, she claims that it was difficult growing up with the surname 'Perfect': "My schoolteacher would say to me, 'Well I certainly hope you are, Christine.' It was severe... a lot of people ask me why I still keep my married name, now that I'm no longer married, and the answer is obvious-- because I didn't like the name Perfect! "
Yeah, but she continued to work with Chicken Shack and even released a solo album as Christine Perfect while being Mrs. John McVie. And, maybe she did hate the last name. (I know mine annoys me, though not enough to legally change it.) But, intitially that wasn't enough to take John's name publicly.

And, after the divorce, it wouldn't have made sense for Christine to go back to Perfect, as she had just sold 21 million albums and sang lead on four top fifteen singles as Christine McVie.

THE Stephen Hopkins