Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Mark Knopfler's Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Interesting list, Jeremy - should have expected nothing less! Curious about any influence Mark Knopfler's playing might have had on yours, as many people (including me) thought that your playing on the track "Precious Little" sounded a lot like Knopfler.

A side comment - I've thought Knopfler's work hasn't been the most consistent but he's had some brilliant moments, and some of the tracks from his recent Get Lucky album are among his best solo work. Particularly like "So Far From The Clyde." Have you heard that album, Jeremy?
I unashamedly admit that Mark's playing has influenced me greatly since I first heard him in 1978. I thought 'now we're talking!' To me, his phrasing and feel is incredible and never ceases to move and amaze me.
No I haven't heard that album. Sounds like a must get!
Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whinya comin' to Dayton/Cincinnati?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope I'm not being redunant, but I have two questions. Greatly admire your work here, from the first Mac album to Flee to Precious Little.

1. I know that a Mac "reunion" is out of the question, but are there any other artists with whom you would want to collaborate in a similar way whose work you think would compliment yours: both as musicians and as songwriters/singers? If so, who would some of those musicians be?

2. Do you know if you will be playing NYC or NYC area at any point? BB Kings?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Artists with which to collaborrate?

[QUOTE=TrueFaith77;868783]I hope I'm not being redunant, but I have two questions. Greatly admire your work here, from the first Mac album to Flee to Precious Little.

1. I know that a Mac "reunion" is out of the question, but are there any other artists with whom you would want to collaborate in a similar way whose work you think would compliment yours: both as musicians and as songwriters/singers? If so, who would some of those musicians be?

Answer: I'd love to do some musical work with Mark Knopfler, and (believe it or not) Dido. There's a lot of heart in her songs.

2. Do you know if you will be playing NYC or NYC area at any point? BB Kings?

Answer: Don't know. Any leads, contacts? Haven't played their since 1971 in Central Park!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Cincinnatti?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Whinya comin' to Dayton/Cincinnati?
I'll ask the same, Steve! Any leads? I don't remember ever playing there with FM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy spencer View Post
Answer: I'd love to do some musical work with Mark Knopfler, and (believe it or not) Dido. There's a lot of heart in her songs.

That's interesting. I found White Flag irresistible, bought Life For Rent , but then haven't revisted her since. Your comment spurs me want to want to see what she's been up to for the last few years.

Michele
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That's interesting. I found White Flag irresistible, bought Life For Rent , but then haven't revisted her since. Your comment spurs me want to want to see what she's been up to for the last few years.

Michele
The Dido-Eno-Fleetwood track "Grafton Street" is worth hearing.

By the way, I think that, although I'm not personally a Dido fan, Dido could definitely benefit from Jeremy and vice versa.

As for NYC contacts, I wish I had some, but I'm glad to know that you at least would be open to returning to NYC. I'll keep an ear out. I once met a very nice man on the subway who was handing out fliers for a blues club in Harlem, and we had a looong conversation, but of course I lost that information and never ventured to the club.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 02-08-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Old 02-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

Mr. Spencer, what is your opinion of Rick Vito as a guitarist and his treatment of the Original Fleetwood Mac material, while he was with the band in the 90's and now with the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band? Both Peter's and your own.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

I have been listening to the tracks recorded during the band’s five day stand at the Whisky A Go-Go (January 7th through the 11th 1970) and while these are among the worst quality bootlegs, (there are worse!) the performances, I feel, are some of the band’s best. The energy is palpable and there is a not often found looseness to the playing, especially on Kirwan’s part that is just so much fun to hear.
My question is this: on a few tracks, just barely on ‘If You Let Me Love’, a little more on ‘Like It This Way’ (great version!) and most prominently, and to best effect, on ‘Sandy Mary’, there is what sounds like an electric piano or organ. That is so hard to tell is a good indication of just how poor the sound quality is.
I have always loved your piano playing and find it so frustrating that on most bootlegs the piano can barely be heard, even on numbers where it is featured, such as ‘Great Balls of Fire’.
Do you remember ever playing an electric keyboard or organ? I do not believe I ever heard you play one on any other recording.
According to Christopher Hjort’s book “Strange Brew: Eric Clapton & the British Blues Boom 1965 – 1970” both your wife Fiona and Christine McVie were traveling with the band at this time – could it have been Christine who joined the band on stage for a few numbers?
To me, it sounds like you playing; I have always loved your piano playing and find it so frustrating that on most bootlegs the piano can barely be heard, even on numbers where it is featured, such as ‘Great Balls of Fire’; but I just thought I would put this out there and see if you might remember, or would interested in sharing your thoughts about the two types of instruments.

As always, thanks in advance for your time, and your patience in answering our questions,

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 05-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I My question is this: on a few tracks, just barely on ‘If You Let Me Love’, a little more on ‘Like It This Way’ (great version!) and most prominently, and to best effect, on ‘Sandy Mary’, there is what sounds like an electric piano or organ. That is so hard to tell is a good indication of just how poor the sound quality is.
I have always loved your piano playing and find it so frustrating that on most bootlegs the piano can barely be heard, even on numbers where it is featured, such as.
Jeremy Spencer can play piano, very well. "If You Let Me Love You", is all Jeremy on the keys' from Boston, 2/1970.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
I have been listening to the tracks recorded during the band’s five day stand at the Whisky A Go-Go (January 7th through the 11th 1970) and while these are among the worst quality bootlegs, (there are worse!) the performances, I feel, are some of the band’s best. The energy is... [...]
I agree, while a bit rough in some parts, this recording preserve an energetic performance and (on and off) totally amazing playing. I'm re-mastering this show, but it's a hard one to clean up.

/z
Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Ledgie

Default Hi Jeremy

Hi Jeremy...we met the day before your concert in Mumbai in 2007 at the Sheraton, and I wanted to say that was quite a treat to meet you and your wife back then and the concert the next evening. I remember we were discussing with your manager the difficulty in organizing the visas for a tour of the States as they required exact dates and such, plus the cost.

Now over 3 years later I see that you have made it to the States a few times and performed at some Blues Clubs and Festivals...congratulations on getting the logistics figured out...my question: any chance of returning and playing in the SoCal area?

Give your wife our best wishes...we have a picture of the four of us framed in our living room, and it is a great converstaion starter
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default live appearances

Jeremy: Is there a way that your upcoming live appearances could be advertised on your website? I flew out to St. Louis to see you several years ago, and it was worth every penny. I probably would have done the same for the Detroit gig, but I just found out about it. Any chance of giving fans some advance notice?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Just a quick one

I was thinking about your work recently with fleetwood mac, it is awesome by the way really fiery stuff.
The question i want to ask is, was it intimdating trying to write original material when you had to measure up to the other band members in the group at the time. Was this part of the reason that you didnt express your writing much in this period?

Hope thats not to out of turn to ask and hope you come play in liverpool soon would be awesome.

cheers