Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Great!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847

I agree with the stupid argument of the Mercedes. If he had been driving say..a Hummer or something outrageous like that...I would have been all...WTH? LOL He's never said he didn't like nice things and wanted to live like a hobo.
Yeah,

I disagree with the notion of the poor little rich kid.. Lindsey is the tortured soul muliti million selling artist, blah blah blah, why feel sorry for him right?

Well, money sometimes has nothing to do with it, As Carne Vaca mentioned with the Kurt Cobain reference.

Then again sometimes money has a lot to account for... Take Michael Jackson's problems.. Would he be in the situation he is in right now without the wealth? Maybe, maybe not.....

Can excesses of money and wealth twist your perceptions of reality?

I'm not a multi millionaire rock star so I can't answer that one!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Minnesota....but really ANYWHERE but HERE.....because it SUCKS!!!
Default Re: Re: Great!!

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac
Then again sometimes money has a lot to account for... Take Michael Jackson's problems.. Would he be in the situation he is in right now without the wealth? Maybe, maybe not.....

*Has weird vision of Lindsey standing next to the bones of the elephant man....cringes*

"Bondage looks good on ya B, the outfits all wrong, but hey"~Faith in 'Enemies'

"Hello, GAY now"~ Willow in 'Triangle'
Old 03-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Good

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
These days, a double album is any album with an extra disc, IMO. The last Shania Twain album had two discs, as does the Outkast one.
Again, that Shania Twain double-disc consisted of radio mixes, etc.
It wasn't a case of 12 completely different songs... a "true" double album. Not just an album with a bonus disc.

And that's what I was referring to.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: my thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by k115810
Ok, folks. Here are my thoughts on the doc.

3) Ok...this may start a controversy...but I would SWEAR that Stevie's face was digitally smoothed. There were a couple of close-ups early on that looked very soft compared to the level of detail that you would see in John or Lindsey's faces. If you pay attention to Stevie's close-ups, I think you will agree with me that her face has been smoothed in post-production. If this is true, it would be very disappointing to me. First, because it runs contrary to the very point of a documentary, and second because Stevie looks great for her age, and shouldn't try to hide the way she looks. She has nothing to be ashamed of.

I agree. I thought Stevie's skin looked very smooth. If it was the makeup or the post production, something was done. I remember when I was able to shake her hand during Edge of Seventeen one time and I remember being kinda suprised because I could see the wrinkles on her face especially when she was smiling. I had never seen her face like that before. Not that there is anything wrong with it - she is obviously a beautiful woman - wrinkles or not she always looks good.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB
Old 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default During the tour rehearsals...

During the tour rehearsals section toward the end, when the camera panned over all the song namecards thumb-tacked to the board, they did a close-up on the word "Destiny". That was all the card said...

Of course, I immediately assumed it was "Destiny Rules", but as I remember that was the only one-word card -- all the others, even though abbreviated, represented the full name of the song.

Any chance they could have been rehearsing "Destiny" from Street Angel? Given all the other songs that seemed to have been dropped for the same-ole, same-ole setlist, I was just wondering if anyone else was wondering...

As for the documentary itself, I loved the subject matter, but HATED most of the editing. Why couldn't they have put the song titles and/or dates at the bottom of the screen as they were recording them? Maybe this was aimed specifically at Mac fans who already know, but from an album-marketing perspective wouldn't you want people watching who aren't that familiar to say, "Gee, I wonder if that cool song "Illume" or "Miranda" made it onto the album??? Maybe I'll go to the record store and see..."

And what a better time to have a commercial about the remasters, the upcoming tour, or even the web site and fan club (even though I wisely didn't join...). Did I just miss them, or were there any at all? (I didn't watch the re-broadcast.)
Old 03-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: During the tour rehearsals...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixxxed
During the tour rehearsals section toward the end, when the camera panned over all the song namecards thumb-tacked to the board, they did a close-up on the word "Destiny". That was all the card said...

Of course, I immediately assumed it was "Destiny Rules", but as I remember that was the only one-word card -- all the others, even though abbreviated, represented the full name of the song.

Any chance they could have been rehearsing "Destiny" from Street Angel? Given all the other songs that seemed to have been dropped for the same-ole, same-ole setlist, I was just wondering if anyone else was wondering...
Uh, no way would they play 'Destiny.' If I remember correctly, the Destiny on the card was positioned right where they played it in the set in Columbus, dropped right after.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey's in Charge!

Quote:
Secondly, Yes LB drives a very nice Mercedes but it's relative to his status. Anybody complaining about it really should take a reality check. To us it may seem expensive but Lindsey could buy one and have a fair bit of change in his pocket from one nights work entertaining us. Spending $15 on a CD to someone in a third world country would seem a gross indulgence I'm sure, so lighten up...

I didn't realise owning a Mercedes was seen as a luxury in the States, there are far too many on the roads in the UK!
....Exactly!

Also, Buckingham saved his money he made in his 20s, he said in a 1992 interview. When you save copious quanitities at an early age, it grows exponentially. And both Buckingham's affluent parents passed away, leaving him some. In essence, he probably never has to work again. And he still can afford a new mansion with cabanas in Bel Air, a luxury car and send children off to prestigious colleges. But he loves his work and loves touring now that the rest of the band has "sobered up"!

"I'll eat hundreds of thousands....I'll eat a *@ck of a lot of money to be able to put out something like I want to put out.......Lindsey Buckingham Destiny Rules Documentary

.....If I'm perceived as the troublemaker (he told John), so be it, why should it be any different now " Lindsey Buckingham, Destiny Rules Documentary

And what a good documentary it was!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I disagree about her face being smoothed in post production...there were times when she had very little makeup...and her age was noticable...although it did not bother me

If she was really concerned about her looks she would have put some eye makeup on as well, like she does when shes out and about...I was hoping (Secretively) to FINALLY see Stevie's backside in those pants without the shirt over it...lol..is that weird?

She's very very careful about hiding her parts she is not comfortable with...but I think overall it was very real, and we saw Stevie for once just being herself and normal...I loved her outfits, and I think she looked great, but not all made up

Chris
Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default doc

whats the deal with a mercedes, my mom drives one and we are not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. Although I do remember in Jr. High having to live with the unfortunate name "mercedes girl" just because we lived in the land of the pick-up truck. For the most part mercedes are pretty common in CA. In fact i was surprised he wasn't driving a fancier car (think porsch, corevett...) I loved Johns, "it goes 55" in respose to Lindseys "does it (Johns porsche) go fast. It goes alot fast then 55 john
Old 03-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I seem to remember there is a great view of that part of her when they are jamming to the ending of GYOW at the tour rehearsal. Her a$$ looked good to me, esp. considering she was 54 years old at the time!!!! I still maintain she is one of the most beautiful people I have ever seen - she positively glows

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes that part during GYOW was nice..lol..put the shirt was still hanging down just enough to cover lol

Chris
Old 03-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Good

Quote:
Originally posted by GypsySorcerer
I agree. (Hey, whaddya know?!)

I think the people who bought the album as it was released would have bought the double CD too. Mick was hopeful that the single disc would sell a couple million; I remember him implying that the double would sell 300,000-500,000, and that Lindsey was okay with that.

What is the sales total on SYW? Did it even go gold?
Yes it did go GOLD...it has sold Around 850,000 copies...still not that much better than 300,000 really tho

Chris
Old 03-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Once again, I do not think anyone has aproblem with LB driving whatever car he wants to drive or with him in general spending his money in whatever fashion he wants. I think people, and certainly I, were pointing out LB's wanting to shy away from the mainstream, commercial, money making aspect of FM and instead push the envelope and make what most would consider non-commercial, non-money making music. Yet, he lives in a world of comfort (Mercedes S Class ($80,000 +), a new house in Bel Air where his old one stood complete with a studio (my guess is $5 million), he records a record in a rental house in Bel Air (my guess is $1 million in rent and structual changes from the equipment), takes a year to make a record, charges $125 for 70% of the best seats in the house, travels in a private 727, stays only in suites, flies his family in and out probably on private planes as well (about $15,000 each way on average), etc. These are all the spoils of making a highly commercial record, which he professes opposition to doing and has been professing this same opposition since the making of Tusk The reality is that if he did not make now and had not made then highly commercial records, all of these luxurious recording and touring perks would not be there unless he paid for them personally.

Again, I think its great he can have these things - I am all for it and do not begrudge him in the slightest. I just think it is interesting that he bucks ( :cool : ) the hand that feeds them to him which is commerical success. He could easily have relased GOS on the net or with a smaller label.

But, to add fuel to the fire - maybe the reason he did not was that he wanted to work with and closer to Stevie again

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Re: Even more:

Quote:
Originally posted by clooney
I wish the documentary had shown how the songs are actually constructed and written. Books on The Beatles have always been very good at showing that.

For the double album, maybe they could have done what Guns and Roses did and issue two albums simultaneouly, Use Your Illusion I and II, hahhahahahaa!

Chris
Oh there is more than books that show how the Beatles constructed their songs (ie-"Day By Day" 76 cd set that shows the disaster that was the "Get Back" film sessions...Btw, I was listening to these sessions last nite when I heard someone asking "What's that?" which was received with a surprising "The new Fleetwood Mac album"...)

Being a big Guns N'Roses fan (I used to be a moderator on a rather large GN'R N.G. awhile back) I thought the UYI releases would have been much better if the filler material was reduced and the remaining tracks were compilated into one single disc.

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 03-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good

Quote:
Originally posted by ShangriLaTroubl
Yes it did go GOLD...it has sold Around 850,000 copies...still not that much better than 300,000 really tho

Chris
810,827 to be exact

Curious to see if there's a decent spike with next Wednesday's numbers (the Soundscan week ends on Saturday, reported on Wednesday).