The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Ledgie

Lindsey uses his voice like an instrument. Yes, he sings. But he also uses his voice to create sound effects. I cannot think of another artist who is more innovative and creative with their vocals. This is part of his musical genius. We, as long term fans, overlook his vocal talents.

With all due respect to the last two posters, I don't agree that Lindsey's voice is "shot to hell". Take a look and listen...

Tusk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhZ_5gr6NY

In My World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7Hvc2uvJs

Love is here to stay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0bBKCKQOk

Respectfully,
Old 06-30-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think he struggles a bit vocally, gets shouty or a bit pitchy, when he's trying to sing and play at the same time. That's understandable. He also doesn't have as much range as he used to. I wouldn't call his voice "shot to hell" though.

I have no explanation for the whispery crap he does. I hate that and I'm like "Can't you hear yourself and how bad that sounds?" His wife, his kids, someone needs to be frank enough to talk to him about it.... and forbid him from playing NGBA until he can do it at a normal tempo in a normal voice.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by g. fish View Post
Lindsey uses his voice like an instrument. Yes, he sings. But he also uses his voice to create sound effects. I cannot think of another artist who is more innovative and creative with their vocals. This is part of his musical genius. We, as long term fans, overlook his vocal talents.

With all due respect to the last two posters, I don't agree that Lindsey's voice is "shot to hell". Take a look and listen...

Tusk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKhZ_5gr6NY

In My World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov7Hvc2uvJs

Love is here to stay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0bBKCKQOk

Respectfully,
I don't either. I heard him live on the BuckVie tour and he came across sounding fine to me. The only pet peeve I had was that he sang too strong on the chorus of "Little Lies". Christine on the other hand had her moments of pitchiness, but I was still impressed with her as well. "Everywhere" and "Too Far Gone" were highlights of hers for me. I love those two together. Has she left FM yet?
Old 07-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Bella Donna is in my all time top 20 albums. Maybe top 10!
Other than Eo17, I don’t particularly love BD. It would be my third fav Stevie album after IYD and 24KG.

That said, I don’t think any Mac solo album would make my Top 100 albums of all time. Yet Tusk is my favorite album of all time.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Other than Eo17, I don’t particularly love BD. It would be my third fav Stevie album after IYD and 24KG.

That said, I don’t think any Mac solo album would make my Top 100 albums of all time. Yet Tusk is my favorite album of all time.
May I guess, that you hate country? Because After TGF and The Highwayman are more country than what they market as country today.

I love country, and that's a big part of why BD is a favorite. I've always said it sounded like the early Eagles were her backing band(they're my all time second favorite band, btw).

Even though I've worn it out, and RARELY listen to it these days, I think I'd have to still put Rumours as my #1. It begat my obsession with music, which became my career. Who knows where I'd be without it. Yeah, Buster and BWBoy would be thrilled....
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
May I guess, that you hate country? Because After TGF and The Highwayman are more country than what they market as country today.

I love country, and that's a big part of why BD is a favorite. I've always said it sounded like the early Eagles were her backing band(they're my all time second favorite band, btw).

Even though I've worn it out, and RARELY listen to it these days, I think I'd have to still put Rumours as my #1. It begat my obsession with music, which became my career. Who knows where I'd be without it. Yeah, Buster and BWBoy would be thrilled....
I don’t claim to be a Country expert but Iris DeMent is my favorite American female music artist. Don’t get more folk country than that! (She’s in my avatar!). Stevie has never released a solo album as great as Iris’s worst album.

And Dolly Parton must be one of the great American songwriters ever. I always buy her albums. Backwood Barbie is her best this century I think.

I dig some modern country like Brad Paisley, Sam Hunt, Kenny Chesney, Dierks Bentley, Ray Scott, Keith Urban—I always give their new work a shot. I consider Chris Isaak and Big Blue Hearts to be country and they are great!

But I am far from an expert... and Always open to recommendations

And yes if Tusk didn’t exist, Rumours would be my fav album of all time.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 07-01-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Old 07-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I don’t claim to be a Country expert but Iris DeMent is my favorite American female music artist. Don’t get more folk country than that! (She’s in my avatar!). Stevie has never released a solo album as great as Iris’s worst album.

And Dolly Parton must be one of the great American songwriters ever. I always buy her albums. Backwood Barbie is her best this century I think.

I dig some modern country like Brad Paisley, Sam Hunt, Kenny Chesney, Dierks Bentley, Ray Scott, Keith Urban—I always give their new work a shot. I consider Chris Isaak and Big Blue Hearts to be country and they are great!

But I am far from an expert... and Always open to recommendations

And yes if Tusk didn’t exist, Rumours would be my fav album of all time.
Wow, you don't hate country. BD is by far $tevie's most country-ish, so my assumption was wrong. I used to love me some Dierks!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hate Country music, and so to me BD is not that good. Certainly better than everything after Rock A Little, with the exception of TISL. I DO love Dolly Parton, she is a fantastic songwriter, performer, entertainer and made of unicorn and rainbow glitter all around.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Bella Donna is my favorite as well, followed by The Wild Heart. After that, she became more and more reliant on other songwriters and there was more and more filler. Trouble in Shangri La was the exception - it was her best album since The Wild Heart, IMHO.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like Bella Donna a lot but in general I never liked the direction that she took with her solo career. When she became obsessed with Tom Petty's music and was wanting to go in that direction, for me it never felt really natural on her. Her music on the 1975 album through Tusk and Gypsy on Mirage is, in my opinion, the true essence of who she was as an artist. It's utterly unique to her and to me feels absolutely genuine and natural. I can't say the same for a lot of her solo work. As popular as songs like Edge of Seventeen and Stop Dragging My Heart Around are, for me it just sounds like Stevie Nicks trying to be 'rock'. Even things like Leather and Lace and As the Glitter Fades to me is like Stevie trying to be that certain brand of country. I think Gypsy did what nothing on Bella Donna or The Wild Heart came close to doing.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I do like Bella Donna a lot but in general I never liked the direction that she took with her solo career. When she became obsessed with Tom Petty's music and was wanting to go in that direction, for me it never felt really natural on her. Her music on the 1975 album through Tusk and Gypsy on Mirage is, in my opinion, the true essence of who she was as an artist. It's utterly unique to her and to me feels absolutely genuine and natural. I can't say the same for a lot of her solo work. As popular as songs like Edge of Seventeen and Stop Dragging My Heart Around are, for me it just sounds like Stevie Nicks trying to be 'rock'. Even things like Leather and Lace and As the Glitter Fades to me is like Stevie trying to be that certain brand of country. I think Gypsy did what nothing on Bella Donna or The Wild Heart came close to doing.
My exact sentiments. Why the hell she went the faux rock route I will never get. She is always a case of mostly wasted potential. Only with Lindsey's production did she get out of that trap. Sigh.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
I hate Country music, and so to me BD is not that good.
I don't think it's a masterpiece, either, which is what everyone is calling it. Its country side is the "dreadful modern country product" that the critic Albert Goldman was referring to in his writeup on Rumours in Esquire magazine. In fact, Goldman made the excellent point that Rumours was a lot more authentically country than the Kenny Rogers-Mac Davis crap that was big on the radio. Rumours, too, is a lot better at being country (Goldman likened the Rumours sound to "long-forgotten strains of ancient mountain music from Appalachia") than Bella Donna is. Even the old Buckingham Nicks demos like Designs of Love, You Could Forget, and Nomad make for more beautiful country than The Highwayman. Not that The Highwayman and After the Glitter Fades aren't nice songs, but Waddy Wachtel's slide guitar and the top-dollar supporting band twang just don't feel very eternal to me.

There's nothing particularly inventive about the way Bella Donna is arranged or produced, either. We already know most of it was recorded live, and that's what it sounds like. The musicians for hire set up their gear, ran through a couple of takes, and that was that. That's fine, it works all right for what it needs to be, but it wasn't painstakingly crafted the way Rumours and Tusk and Mirage were, where you could dig through the sonics of tracks for days and still not fully comprehend the multilayered complexity and density.

Bella Donna's strength is Stevie herself: her persona, her singing (in his Stereo Review writeup, Steve Simels said she sang like a "no-nonsense country belter like Brenda Lee"), and the way her daffy songwriting is all of a beautiful piece with her daffy personality and mystique. But that doesn't make it a musical masterpiece.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-21-2018, 03:57 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Lindsey/Stevie obsession

Sorry but I just don’t get the obsession I read on this board. I saw the tour in 2015 and they had all aged vocally . Stevie does not have the range to belt out Rhiannon like she did at 27, Lindsey who had an amazing voice during the early years simply shouts every lyric, Chris wavers on her vocals a lot but you know what, it was still awesome. One must accept that they have all aged as we all have. I personally believe crap happens and am excited to hear this new line up.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default This ain't American Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeb420 View Post
Stevie does not have the range to belt out Rhiannon like she did at 27
Stop press!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeb420 View Post
Sorry but I just don’t get the obsession I read on this board.
No need to apologize. I think you will find that there are somewhat obsessive fans and more casual fans, and that it is usually going to be the former who would spend their time posting on an online forum.

Neil Finn is no spring chicken himself, but I'm sure his voice is in better shape than the (formerly) fab 3.
But this isn't a Simon Cowell production. If fans were focused solely on who has the best singing voice range, maybe there'd be more activity over on the Post Rumours forum. (...crickets chirping...)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
My exact sentiments. Why the hell she went the faux rock route I will never get. She is always a case of mostly wasted potential. Only with Lindsey's production did she get out of that trap. Sigh.
She was packaged that way. Paul Fishkin and the record company were concerned about her fairy image and that the public would never support her like that outside the presence of Fleetwood Mac. They marketed her as mainstream rock trying to give her credibility and the formula definitely worked. Her singing even changed to full vocal compared to whispers with the Mac..
She lost her way in more ways than one during the mid 80s and RAL. That album did anything but rock yet embraced cheezy mid 80s pop sounds that ruined the few good songs she actually wrote for the album.
Personally, I always thought she should have done an AC/DC type of album. I think there was a time her voice was so good for hard rock. Unfortunately we never got anything like that.