The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, no song better illustrates the difference between overrated and overexposed than Landslide. It's simple, sweet, and straightforward, and it's themes are timeless and universal, giving it a broad appeal that stretches across generations and genres. It is without question one of her most crowning achievements, and history will always remember it that way. Yes, we have all heard it a million times, but there's a reason for that.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Overrated: Hold Me (let the stoning begin)
Underrated: Think About Me
Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Overrated: Hold Me (let the stoning begin)
Underrated: Think About Me
Fully agree about Hold Me. I don't mind it but am not especially attracted. People here seem to love their FM to be somehow rockin' and guitar-driven or whatever. But Hold Me is really poppy. Isn't it "overproduced" or whatever the kiss of death usually seems to be?
Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
It's just a feeling I get because the song is on the big Box Set and not on the Very Best Of, as far as I remember and it has not been played live. Lindseys reasoning with the "Layers" sounds pretty shady to me, they play Everywhere, Big Love and Tusk live, all pretty layered in the studio versions, too.
It's been played live. I liked it. I guess they didn't like it live.

Michele
Old 01-22-2016, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^I liked it, too.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hold Me is great - a stellar track, for sure.

It doesn't translate to stage very well, though. The harmonies need to be so tight, and the live versions I've heard are all over the place.

Totally off topic, but I feel the same way about Stevie's Moonlight; it's too "produced" to reproduce on stage.

I wonder if Hold Me could be stripped down to one piano, one guitar, and just Lindsey and Chris.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Hold Me is great - a stellar track, for sure.

It doesn't translate to stage very well, though. The harmonies need to be so tight, and the live versions I've heard are all over the place.

Totally off topic, but I feel the same way about Stevie's Moonlight; it's too "produced" to reproduce on stage.

I wonder if Hold Me could be stripped down to one piano, one guitar, and just Lindsey and Chris.
there was a version on Hold Me on youtube that was Christine's original demo i think. pretty stripped down from what it became.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Overrated: Everywhere, Don't Stop. Underrated: Beautiful Child, I'm So Afraid.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Underrated: Over & Over

This could have been a big hit from Tusk if the album version was more similar to the live versions. The album version is a little too timid, like most of Christine's songs on that album. Over & Over also could have been a big live hit if they played it on more than just the Tusk tour. They should have played it on the Mirage tour and The Dance tour. Then it might have became more popular like Silver Springs did and they would have played it on the 2014-2015 tour.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Overrated:
Mystified - I'm still mystified how FM overrated it enough to put it on TiTN in the first place. The worst FM song ever to my ears. Christines voice is terrible, the sugar coated, dated 80's production kills the already weak composition- there is no redeeming quality of any kind in this song."/

First of all the song is beautiful. Secondly you call it "dated" as if they should have not recorded it in 80's production back in....well...oh yeah the 80s.

Beautiful GORGEOUS harmonies and a very melodic LB solo at they end. NOT overrated as it is highly under rated on this board.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Overrated doesn't equal over-exposed. Think of overrated as overhyped, not as good as people say it is, lower quality than advertised.

I see a lot of songs listed here that are clearly not overrated - Dreams, Go Your Own Way, Landslide - these are some of the best pop songs ever crafted and recorded to tape in the history of popular music. You might be tired of hearing them, but they are not overhyped, or lower quality than advertised, so to speak.
EXACTLY. This is overrated not overplayed.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Does anyone think that "Think About Me" would have been a better choice as a first single? "Tusk" single did hit the top 10. Yet "Think about Me" sounded more like what people were expecting.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryderi View Post
Does anyone think that "Think About Me" would have been a better choice as a first single? "Tusk" single did hit the top 10. Yet "Think about Me" sounded more like what people were expecting.
No doubt about it, Think About Me would have done even better on the charts than the title track did had it come first. But if Lindsey had any pull with Warner in deciding on singles, I'll bet he wouldn't have wanted the first single to sound like "what people were expecting," since that was pretty much the whole point of doing the Tusk album.

He may also have thought Think About Me didn't seem representative of the album as a whole, and didn't want a ton of disappointed fans who bought the album thinking it would be as poppy as Rumours. (Although in reality, there are about as many catchy pop-rock songs on Tusk as there are quirky experiments: Think About Me, Sara, Over & Over, Save Me a Place, Sisters of the Moon, Walk a Thin Line, Angel, Honey Hi, and Never Forget are all fairly mainstream in their own way.)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 AM

10 Underrated Fleetwood Mac Songs
From Rumours to Tusk, Mirage and more, we have found the top 10 underrated Fleetwood Mac tracks for your essential listening.

The American sweethearts with a reckless, exciting and troubled past; things have never been linear for Fleetwood Mac. They have formed, split, fired, relight flames and vanquished them repeatedly over their long and fruitful careers but, while their relationships might harbour cracks, their tracks shall live on forever. Below are the 10 most underrated tracks the band have ever produced.

Caroline, Tango In The Night, (1987)
Despite Tango In The Night being Mick Fleetwood’s “worst recording experience”, the album has spawned some mega hits; such as ‘Everywhere’ from ~ that ~ advert with the pony, ‘Little Lies’ and the ridiculously underrated ‘Caroline’. Simple yet effective with a tropical tinge; ‘Caroline’ is the ultimate ear-worm. Mark your bingo cards, we are onto a winner.

Book Of Love, Mirage, (1982)

A stadium-sized anthem which has you begging to know ‘right, what is the ‘Book Of Love’ and how can we get our mitts on it?’. Perfect harmonies, a stunning lead vocal and a sublime crescendo, we are marking this as the definitive best track on Mirage. Our opinion might not be fact, but it should be.

Sisters Of The Moon, Tusk, (1979)

An ethereal Nicks vocal, a killer electric guitar solo and an atmosphere of mystery; could ‘Sisters Of The Moon’ be the most underrated Fleetwood Mac track of the lot? Bathe in the beauty of this stellar composition and do not let it slip through your net for any longer. You were warned.

Woman Of 1000 Years, Future Games, (1971)

Written by Danny Kirwan, ‘Woman Of 1000 Years’ is soft, rhythmic and somewhat sensual. It does not carry the same power, pizzaz or energy that Fleetwood Mac’s later material does, but this 1971 slow-burner is sacredly sweet.

The Second Time, Behind The Mask, (1990)

‘The Second Time’ was written by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito; artists drafted in to replace the gaping hold Lindsay Buckingham left in the band, after his 1987 departure. The track sees Nicks laying down a thick vocal accompanied by a spindly, delicate acoustic guitar; producing this heartfelt lullaby. Behind The Mask gets a bad reputation, but ‘The Second Time’ makes the album worth every moment.

Welcome To The Room… Sara, Tango In The Night (1987)

It took ‘Sara’ (thought to be Stevie Nicks’ alter-ego) eight years, two live records and a studio album to make an official reappearance in a song title. The second outing of ‘Sara’ (the first being featured on 1979’s Tusk) was written shortly after a Nicks rehab stint, and features obscure yet indulgent lyrics from the goddess herself.

Empire State, Mirage, (1982)

“If I can make it there… I can make it anywhere” was a lyric featured on ‘Empire State’ regarding Buckingham’s desire to quit the drug-fulled disaster train, known as Fleetwood Mac, and set-up shop in New York. A track addressing themes of escapism, success and hopelessness ‘Empire State’ is as honestly as raw as Fleetwood Mac get.

Running Through The Garden, Say You Will, (2003)

Despite not being penned during the bands ‘golden era’ Say You Will features some of the collective’s most progressive tracks to date. One of the often-overlooked numbers, ‘Running Through The Garden’ is an instant sing-along, matching the likes of their super-hits with the same energy, professionalism and producing that gooey ‘I-love-Fleetwood-Mac’ feeling we all adore.

Wish You Were Here, Mirage, (1982)

Released as a single in April 1983, the Christine McVie lead vocal and hillbilly-rock tinged guitar makes ‘Wish You Were Here’ an underrated classic. The track was ahead of its time and,’The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac tracklisters? it deserved a place on that compilation! McVie was robbed.

Never Going Back Again, Rumours, (1977)

Being sandwiched between ‘Dreams’ and ‘Don’t Stop’ on a tracklist is a hard fret, but ‘Never Going Back Again’ still defies odds as being one of Rumours’ hidden gems. Played solely on the acoustic guitar using the Travis plucking technique, the heartbreaking track is utterly gorgeous… It is just a shame it took Buckingham/Nicks breaking-up in order for it to be crafted.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Mu...mac_songs.html
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
10 Underrated Fleetwood Mac Songs
From Rumours to Tusk, Mirage and more, we have found the top 10 underrated Fleetwood Mac tracks for your essential listening.

The American sweethearts with a reckless, exciting and troubled past; things have never been linear for Fleetwood Mac. They have formed, split, fired, relight flames and vanquished them repeatedly over their long and fruitful careers but, while their relationships might harbour cracks, their tracks shall live on forever. Below are the 10 most underrated tracks the band have ever produced.

Caroline, Tango In The Night, (1987)
Despite Tango In The Night being Mick Fleetwood’s “worst recording experience”, the album has spawned some mega hits; such as ‘Everywhere’ from ~ that ~ advert with the pony, ‘Little Lies’ and the ridiculously underrated ‘Caroline’. Simple yet effective with a tropical tinge; ‘Caroline’ is the ultimate ear-worm. Mark your bingo cards, we are onto a winner.

Book Of Love, Mirage, (1982)

A stadium-sized anthem which has you begging to know ‘right, what is the ‘Book Of Love’ and how can we get our mitts on it?’. Perfect harmonies, a stunning lead vocal and a sublime crescendo, we are marking this as the definitive best track on Mirage. Our opinion might not be fact, but it should be.

Sisters Of The Moon, Tusk, (1979)

An ethereal Nicks vocal, a killer electric guitar solo and an atmosphere of mystery; could ‘Sisters Of The Moon’ be the most underrated Fleetwood Mac track of the lot? Bathe in the beauty of this stellar composition and do not let it slip through your net for any longer. You were warned.

Woman Of 1000 Years, Future Games, (1971)

Written by Danny Kirwan, ‘Woman Of 1000 Years’ is soft, rhythmic and somewhat sensual. It does not carry the same power, pizzaz or energy that Fleetwood Mac’s later material does, but this 1971 slow-burner is sacredly sweet.

The Second Time, Behind The Mask, (1990)

‘The Second Time’ was written by Billy Burnette and Rick Vito; artists drafted in to replace the gaping hold Lindsay Buckingham left in the band, after his 1987 departure. The track sees Nicks laying down a thick vocal accompanied by a spindly, delicate acoustic guitar; producing this heartfelt lullaby. Behind The Mask gets a bad reputation, but ‘The Second Time’ makes the album worth every moment.

Welcome To The Room… Sara, Tango In The Night (1987)

It took ‘Sara’ (thought to be Stevie Nicks’ alter-ego) eight years, two live records and a studio album to make an official reappearance in a song title. The second outing of ‘Sara’ (the first being featured on 1979’s Tusk) was written shortly after a Nicks rehab stint, and features obscure yet indulgent lyrics from the goddess herself.

Empire State, Mirage, (1982)

“If I can make it there… I can make it anywhere” was a lyric featured on ‘Empire State’ regarding Buckingham’s desire to quit the drug-fulled disaster train, known as Fleetwood Mac, and set-up shop in New York. A track addressing themes of escapism, success and hopelessness ‘Empire State’ is as honestly as raw as Fleetwood Mac get.

Running Through The Garden, Say You Will, (2003)

Despite not being penned during the bands ‘golden era’ Say You Will features some of the collective’s most progressive tracks to date. One of the often-overlooked numbers, ‘Running Through The Garden’ is an instant sing-along, matching the likes of their super-hits with the same energy, professionalism and producing that gooey ‘I-love-Fleetwood-Mac’ feeling we all adore.

Wish You Were Here, Mirage, (1982)

Released as a single in April 1983, the Christine McVie lead vocal and hillbilly-rock tinged guitar makes ‘Wish You Were Here’ an underrated classic. The track was ahead of its time and,’The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac tracklisters? it deserved a place on that compilation! McVie was robbed.

Never Going Back Again, Rumours, (1977)

Being sandwiched between ‘Dreams’ and ‘Don’t Stop’ on a tracklist is a hard fret, but ‘Never Going Back Again’ still defies odds as being one of Rumours’ hidden gems. Played solely on the acoustic guitar using the Travis plucking technique, the heartbreaking track is utterly gorgeous… It is just a shame it took Buckingham/Nicks breaking-up in order for it to be crafted.

http://www.thenationalstudent.com/Mu...mac_songs.html
Fully agreed on Second Time, Sisters of the Moon, Running through the Garden, and Wish You Were Here!