User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Cool MORE Danny Kirwan solo stuff!!

Ram Jam City - How fun is THIS song?! It's very country, but I like it, I NEVER thought I'd hear a song like THIS from DK!! The FIRST thing I thought of listening to it was The Monkees because it sounds like something they would do...Mike Nesmith especially, since he was the "country" sound for The Monkees. Great song!

Odds & Ends - Another Monkees-sound-alike song!! I can TOTALLY hear them doing this!! Maybe THAT is why I love DK so much! Love the piano, very vaudvillian, um, Dixie-landish, saloon type of song. Since Davy Jones was/is the "Broadway" sound for The Monkees...it would work. CUTE!!

Skip a Dee Do - "dah, skip a dee aye, my oh my, what a wonderful day.." LMAO!! No, it's not the Disney song! Oompa! LOL This song it cute because it's got the bob-head factor. And, OMG, I'm gonna be singing, "skip a dee do, skip a dee day.." for WEEKS! LOL

Love Can Always Bring You Happiness - Starts off country-ish, but it has strings too. I like it, pretty song. Love the "outer-space-y" sound in it! Mellow...dude.

Falling in Love with You - "wise men say, only fools rush in.." Wait...OMG, these titles remind me of other songs too much!! This one is country-ish as well, sounds like a banjo is being
"plucked"..am I right about that, musicians out there? "take a sip from our loving cup" OMG!! That is a LB song!! LOL HOW COOL AND WIERD IS THAT!!?? If Danny were a country artist, he would be my fave male country artist, he's GREAT at the sound!! 80's country is my fave, btw...for anyone who cares. LOL

Silver Streams - "you could be my silver streams, blue green, colors flashing..." Oops, wrong song! LOL This version is different than the one John sent me on the last tape. This version is more country-ish to me. I like both, but I really like the other version. It sounds better with the music and his singing, they mesh better on the other version, to me, anyways. I love the, um...is that a trumpet or something in there...the solo, what the heck is that? I wasn't in band in HS, so I don't know my instruments, but the strings are pretty. lalalalalala....I love that!! There are some AWESOME sounds in this song...sounds like a flute (?), some kind of synthesizer maybe or something. No clue.

Best Girl in the World - Another Monkees-sounding song...with Davy Jones on lead...very vaudville-ian, so cute!! Shoo-bee-do-wah...LOL Love that piano sound...reminds me of the intro for Sara, just the sound, not the melody.

Life Machine - Great opening guitar riff!! I love Danny's lyrics, they are very moody...dark a bit, reminds me of England! I LOVE ENGLAND!! Yet, ANOTHER Monkees-sounding song. Danny's music sounds like the Eagles/Monkees, and I LOVE both groups, so that explains my new fandom.

Midnight in San Juan - Wicked instrumental!! You know, this could be the theme song for a TV show! LMAO!! It just has THAT sound to it.

Let It Be - Reggae Beatles...how....different. LOL I can "hear" No Doubt when I listen to this! Ya, mon! Not my fave, what a shock to those who know I don't care for the "Fab Four".

I Can't Let You Go - I love the "groove" of this song!! Love the bass too!! Too bad he didn't do this one while with the Mac with John...the MONSTER!!

Look Around You - Another Monkees-sounding song...he's on a roll!! LOL Love the guitar on this one, and that great bass!! I wonder if Danny ever listened to any Monkees songs, and I don't mean the ones that casual fans have heard, I mean songs NOBODY but die-hards (like me) know!!??

End up Crying - Another song that would have been good with FM...with CM and BW doing the back-up vocals! Who IS that on bgv's, I have no clue. John?? This is DK's sexiest-sounding song, IMO. Heck, CM could have written it.

Caroline - "time recedes with a fatal drop, dusty fury on the mountaintop.." DOH! Here we go again! LOL Spooky sounding, OMG, and he sounds JUST like A-Ha lead singer, Morten Harket on this one!! THAT is why I love this one, I love A-Ha!! The strings remind me of some song...but I cannot think of which one. Jars of Clay!!! YES!! It sounds like Frail by Jars of Clay!! How spooky!! I am diggin DK more and more, with every listen!! Download the song, Frail by Jars if you can, people, it is AMAZINGLY GORGEOUS!!

You - What a pretty song. So romantic...but I don't really care for the background vocalists jumping in there, that part sounds cheesy. Shut up, backgrounders...be in the background, like you're supposed to!! They sound like the freakin PIPS!! LOL

California - Damn backgrounders again!! SHUT UP!! Let Danny sing that part!! LOL I like the 70's-sounding strings, tho. Not a fave song, but it's okay. Hey, you can't hit a homer EVERYTIME! LOL

Falling in Love with You (earlier version) - LOVE the British accents of the dudes in the studio!! LOL He sounds like Peter Tork (Monkees again) on this song a tad, a VERY SMALL tad, because Peter doesn't have the greatest voice in the world. This take is just more rough-sounding than the album version. Nuttin major different...after only two listens anyway.

Odds & Ends (Alternate take) - Not as Dixie-landish sounding as the album version, but still keeps the Dixie-land piano in there. Rougher, of course.

Ram Jam City (earlier instrumental version) - DK reminds me of Lindsey on this one...because it's just an instrumental but he "hums" or whatever at the beginning...think...Teen Beat. Those sounds LB makes, but not that obvious. It's hard to explain any other way. LOL

BIG, HUGE, GIGANTIC thanks to John for making this happen!! You da man, John!!
Old 08-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everybodys got something to hide except for you and your Monkees?

I have to get that Kirwan compilation CD sometime still... thanks for the song reviews.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Sorry?

Quote:
Originally posted by becca
Everybodys got something to hide except for you and your Monkees? I have to get that Kirwan compilation CD sometime still... thanks for the song reviews.
First of all, you are welcome for the song reviews. It's fun to listen to each song and review em as they play. It takes FORVER to post it, but it's more fun than trying to remember how each song goes after only 2 listens! LOL

Second of all...something to hide? Do you mean, I should be ashamed of what I listen to? Why? BTW, I listen to Backstreet Boys, NSync and NKOTB also. If that's not what you mean, what did you mean? Sorry, I'm tired, haven't been getting a good night's rest lately.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's just a play on the Beatles song 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide (Except For Me and My Monkey)', from their white album I think.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink HAHAHA, now see...

...me not being a Beatles fan...shwoop...right over my head. Sorry, forgive me. HAHA It was lost on me.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You keep mentioning "Monkees"...you like the Monkees, but not the Beatles?? (scratches head & wonders, by the bank of his own lagoon)

I've always thought that it's too bad Danny Kirwan never hooked up with Paul McCartney after he got 86'd by Mick back in 1972...Danny would've been the PERFECT lead guitarist for Wings "back in the day"...how great would've THAT been? Danny's songwriting, too, would've fit right in to that Wings sound, I think.

Just think:

Paul McCartney: bass, guitar, keyboards, vocals
Linda McCartney: keyboards, vocals
Denny Laine: guitar, bass, vocals
Danny Kirwan: guitar, vocals
Denny Seiwell: drums

Ram Jam City & Love Can Always Bring You Happiness on "Venus & Mars"?? WOW!!
Old 08-23-2002, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Wow, what can I say Christy, you are very welcome! I'm just so happy I've helped you "discover" Danny.

The backing vocals on those two tunes, well, the HTBB album lists three "backing vocal" people for the album (but doesn't say who is on which songs): Tony Rivers, Stuart Calver & John Perry.

Sadly, I assume those "annoying backing vocals that come up front" in "You", "California" & EUC could be more attempts at "hiding" the (possible) facts that they may not have been able to get down useable takes of Danny's vocals on those parts or something due to his "condition" at the time, maybe not, but it's something I often wonder about. Not that this means you should like those 2 songs ("You" & "California") better or anything but it's something to consider given the (possible) circumstances.

Regardless though, Danny seems to be batting very close to 1,000 based on your reviews above coupled with your reviews from the first tape! YAY!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-23-2002 at 01:00 PM..
Old 08-23-2002, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow chilid...

Well...I grew up watching the Monkees on TV (remember the 1986 reunion tour and their 20 year anniversary?) and my mom was excited that I liked them because she was a fan when she was young-un. BTW, I'm only 26 years old (I'm saying this for a reason), so I didn't "grow up" listening to the Beatles, like most people older than me did. I realize that the Beatles transcend age, and I did hear their songs growing up on the radio occasionally on the local "oldies but goodies" station, so it's not like I don't know their stuff and I'm talking out of my butt. I got all the Monkees cassettes (are those things still around? LOL) and listened to them CONSTANTLY...I loved the different sounds of the group, the Broadway (Davy), the country (Mike), the R&B/pop (Micky) and the bizarre (Peter! LOL). Unique blend, FOR SURE!! LOL I don't know why, but I've never connected with the Beatles music. I guess I'm one of the VERY FEW. I realize that you may argue, "but they weren't/aren't even a REAL group!!", but I would counter-argue that they ARE, and at first, when the TV show came out, they were not ALLOWED to write or play their own music (thanks to Don Kirschner who was eventually fired) and Mike and Peter were none too happy about it. Micky and Davy were the actors, Mike and Peter were the musicians. Did everyone know that Mike Nesmith's mom invented Liquid Paper? That's only one reason why HE'S loaded! Just some trivia for ya. They played and wrote almost every song on their album, Headquarters, btw. Well, there's some Monkees info, if anyone cares. LOL I would suggest listening to some non-famous songs that were written by the Monkees OR written by some great writers like Carole King, Gerry Goffin, Neil Diamond, Boyce and Hart, PLUS, JOHN STEWART wrote Daydream Believer!!

You know what is HILARIOUS about this whole post...my name comes from a song called Randy Scouse Git, by Micky Dolenz, where he mentions "wondergirl", his eventual wife, at a party with...THE BEATLES!! LMAO!! "the four kings of EMI are sitting stately on the floor.." <----Beatles.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow John...

Thanks for the info on the bgv's....they are MUCHO ANNOYING-O! I think he sounds best harmonizing with himself, JMO. Yeah, Danny's movin on up to my rank of favorite FMers...LINDSEY will ALWAYS be first tho..hehe...then Stevie/Christine/Danny/Bob (in that exact order) are tied for 2nd fave! LOL Then, Peter Green takes the bronze...then....I guess Jeremy brining up the rear. LOL
Old 08-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is taking a strange turn for an early FM area but just wanted to say I love this song Mickey Dolenz sings called Sometime In The Morning, and Neil Diamond is cool to me. The Monkees can only be better than The Bugaloos which I am weird for and have their CD (an early 70s Krofft kids show of rockin' bug-teens).

Back to Kirwan... is the 1974 Tramp album with Mick on drums and him on lead (I assume for at least one song) worth having? Bob Brunning is listed on it as well.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb Bugaloos!!

Wow, I remember that TV show...along with just about every Sid and Marty Krofft show...Puff-n-Stuff, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, etc...LOL

Sometime in the Morning is a GREAT song, so pretty, love his vocals on it. Written by Goffin and King.

I'm sure chilid or John can help ya with the Tramp question, I've never even heard of them! LOL
Old 08-24-2002, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile BECCA

No, Mick is NOT on the "Tramp 1974" Jo Ann Kelly CD, nor is he on the Tramp recordings from the other 2 Mooncrest Jo Ann Kelly compilations ("Key to the highway" & "Talkin' low").

Mick IS on Tramp's first (classic!) selftitled album from 1969 and the "Put a record on" album by Tramp that was released IN 1974 though. Hope that helps.

John