Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dave Mason, playing the Keys, is doing more than alright

By LARRY KAHN

http://www.keysnet.com/2015/02/20/50...s-is.html?rh=1

lkahn@keynoter.comFebruary 20, 2015

Forgive Dave Mason for not recalling how he spent his time when he visited the Florida Keys around 30 years ago. The singer and songwriter, at it now for 48 years, has a lot of stories to tell, but his Keys visit isn't one of them.

But the founding member of Traffic and onetime member of Derek and the Dominos and Fleetwood Mac returns on Wednesday for what amounts to a private show at Little Palm Island, the exclusive resort about three miles from Little Torch Key on the oceanside. He's on the back side of a tour that started in September and ends in April.

"We did 110 shows last year and we'll probably do the same or more this year," Mason said. "I have a house in California but I pretty much live on this bus right now," he said, referring to his 45-foot Prevost XL2.

Mason is performing on Little Palm as part of the resort's Sandbar Sessions series. Previous performers include Dr. John, Rickie Lee Jones, Aaron Neville and Taj Mahal. Following Mason is Lee Ritenour in March.

Mason, 68, founded Traffic with Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi and Chris Wood in 1967, and will forever remain linked to the band even though he left it in 1968, just a year after its debut album, "Mr. Fantasy," was released. But he's also on the second album, "Traffic," which contains his timeless track "Feelin' Alright."

That song, which Joe Cocker embraced as his own, is basically "just another love story gone bad." When Traffic was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, Tom Petty, Kid Rock, Jackson Brown, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood, and Dusty Hill and Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top, among others, performed "Feelin' Alright."

His other hit about love gone bad is "We Just Disagree," written by guitarist Jeff Krueger and released in 1977.

In between, he spent some time with a little band called Derek and the Dominos, formed by guitarist Eric Clapton in 1970 with Bobby Whitlock, Carl Randle and Jim Gordon. Mason played with the group prior to its "Layla and Assorted Other Love Songs," which actually was panned when it originally came out.

Mason didn't stay on long.

"I was part of the band in the very beginning, when Eric put it together," he said. "That was when Eric started doing heroin and there wasn't much getting done. We were just laying around," so he split.

Mason is asked about that -- the rock legends who were known nearly as much for their drug use as their music. He's asked about his own drug use.

"Who says I didn't? Everybody was doing 'research' back then." What about thriving, not only surviving? "What can I say, it's the luck of the draw there."

Duane Allman replaced Mason.

These days, who does Mason listen to when he's not making music? "I'm not really up on who's around. I'm busy."

That he is. This weekend, he's on Rock Legends Cruise III, which started Thursday at Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, heads to the Turks and Caicos, then returns back to Fort Lauderdale Monday. Then he'll make the three-hour trip south to the Lower Keys.

That cruise has a who's who among classic rock: The Doobie Brothers, .38 Special, the Outlaws, Ten Years After, Alice Cooper, the Marshall Tucker Band and Edgar Winter, among others.

"It doesn't get old," says Mason, a man of few words. "It's what I do. I'm lucky to be able to do it and still do it."

Mason's been doing it for decades, performing with so many great musicians and singers through the years, including fellow Rock and Roll Hall of Famers Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ron Wood, Stephen Stills, David Crosby and Graham Nash

Even though he's been in the hall for more than a decade, he's not a fan.

"Joe Cocker's not in there but Iggy Pop is, that's what I think of it," Mason said. "There's something wrong with that."

He didn't reveal his Little Palm set list but did say he might enjoy some fresh-caught stone crabs while here, "as long as they're not throwing them at me."