Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

All Access Music Group

Bob Pittman, Part 2: Time For Radio -- And The Labels -- To Change The Paradigm

June 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM (PT)

Read more: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...#ixzz2XJ1HFwAf
Follow us: @allaccess on Twitter | all.access on Facebook

In the final part of the exclusive two-part ALL ACCESS Power Player interview, CLEAR CHANNEL Chairman/CEO BOB PITTMAN touches on delivering to advertisers expectations, iTUNES and what it means for iHEART and the other streaming services ... and he detailed the reasoning behind its out-of-the-box revenue sharing deals with labels -- and more recently, FLEETWOOD MAC -- as a way to get around exorbitant streaming costs.

"If you look at how streaming costs are set up, most radio companies are either not going into it or doing a little as it’s too damn expensive not getting enough return," he noted. "So the pressure is on everyone to find a solution that’s not taking money from one person’s pocket to put it into the other -- as that’s not a long-term business.

"What we need to find is how we can grow a market that can mainly feed the artists," PITTMAN continued. "At the end of the day, I love the record companies, but I really love the artists and want to make sure that they make as much money as they can. And going forward we have found some markets that can grow -- so in five years it’s bigger and even 10 years it’s even bigger.

"That’s the goal of this," he concluded. "And it requires us all to do things we haven’t done in the past. We stepped up and have given the participating companies a piece of our broadcast revenue. Some think we shouldn’t do that since we’ve never done that. And labels are going to have to do some new things if they want to succeed in this world."

Read the entire interview here.

Read more: http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/ar...#ixzz2XJ1NoydV
Follow us: @allaccess on Twitter | all.access on Facebook
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Ledgie

Default Clear Channel Makes Revenue-Sharing Deal With Fleetwood Mac

From NY Times, June 13, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/business/media/clear-channel-makes-revenue-sharing-deal-with-fleetwood-mac.html

The radio giant Clear Channel has struck a deal to pay Fleetwood Mac when the band’s songs are played on the radio and on the Internet.

The revenue-sharing deal, announced on Wednesday, was characterized as the first of its kind between a radio station owner and a music act. Last year, Clear Channel started to sign similar deals with record labels.

The agreement with Fleetwood Mac “is the clearest sign yet that this kind of revenue-sharing model represents the industry’s future — it is a win-win-win, for artists, fans and the music business,” Bob Pittman, the chief executive of Clear Channel, said in a statement.

Payments for radio broadcasts of songs, called royalties, have been a source of disagreement within the recording industry for decades. Historically songwriters and music publishers have received those royalties while the record labels and musicians have not. The Web works differently: there, whenever songs are streamed, the performers are paid. As radio stations have migrated to the Web, these two systems have come into conflict, leading companies like Clear Channel to come up with fixes.

Clear Channel’s first revenue-sharing deal, announced this time last year, was with Big Machine, the record label that counts Taylor Swift among its artists. Since then Clear Channel has signed similar deals with a number of independent labels.

Earlier this year Fleetwood Mac released four songs, its first set of new music since 2003. Fleetwood Mac’s longtime manager Irving Azoff, the former chairman of Live Nation, is a Clear Channel board member. In a statement he said, “It’s fitting that a group that’s played such an integral role in radio and music history would be the first band to take such a major step — helping the music industry create a sustainable digital marketplace so it can thrive for decades to come.”
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Clear Channel Makes Revenue-Sharing Deal With Fleetwood Mac

By BRIAN STELTER
Published: June 13, 2013

The radio giant Clear Channel has struck a deal to pay Fleetwood Mac when the band’s songs are played on the radio and on the Internet.

The revenue-sharing deal, announced on Wednesday, was characterized as the first of its kind between a radio station owner and a music act. Last year, Clear Channel started to sign similar deals with record labels.

The agreement with Fleetwood Mac “is the clearest sign yet that this kind of revenue-sharing model represents the industry’s future — it is a win-win-win, for artists, fans and the music business,” Bob Pittman, the chief executive of Clear Channel, said in a statement.

Payments for radio broadcasts of songs, called royalties, have been a source of disagreement within the recording industry for decades. Historically songwriters and music publishers have received those royalties while the record labels and musicians have not. The Web works differently: there, whenever songs are streamed, the performers are paid. As radio stations have migrated to the Web, these two systems have come into conflict, leading companies like Clear Channel to come up with fixes.

Clear Channel’s first revenue-sharing deal, announced this time last year, was with Big Machine, the record label that counts Taylor Swift among its artists. Since then Clear Channel has signed similar deals with a number of independent labels.

Earlier this year Fleetwood Mac released four songs, its first set of new music since 2003. Fleetwood Mac’s longtime manager Irving Azoff, the former chairman of Live Nation, is a Clear Channel board member. In a statement he said, “It’s fitting that a group that’s played such an integral role in radio and music history would be the first band to take such a major step — helping the music industry create a sustainable digital marketplace so it can thrive for decades to come.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/bu...-mac.html?_r=0

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/06/...landmark-reve/
Old 12-14-2013, 04:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

November 29, 2013 Newstalk Return of the Mac by Stephen McNeice

http://www.newstalk.ie/Return-of-the...twood-Mac-2013

The Fleetwood Mac story is an epic one.

Four long decades have seen so many break-ups, retirements, disagreements, falling-outs and reunions that it’s hard to keep track.

Given the dizzying history and interpersonal complexities, we can only consider it a small miracle that Fleetwood Mac 2013 consists of Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood. Only the retired singer / songwriter Christine McVie (ex-wife of John) is absent from the iconic Rumours-era line-up. The others will all be taking to the O2 Dublin stage in September.

The remaining quartet was also responsible for the ‘Extended Play’ EP released earlier this year - the first new Fleetwood Mac material in a decade. The reviews were reserved but respectful, determining it was solid ‘three star’ material; not another Tusk or Rumours (one of the best selling records of all time - estimates of around 40 million sales - and a perpetual presence on ‘best albums of all times’ lists).

Six studio albums followed Rumours but none could repeat it’s phenomenal success. The band name alone ensured several subsequent releases went Platinum. Whatever about the others, Rumours’ staggering sales alone exemplifies the fact that the band were, and continue to be, one of the biggest beneficiaries of the traditional record sales model. Behind the scenes, however, the band continues to experiment in surprising ways.

Extended Play was released digitally and independently, through LMJS (Lindsey, Mick, John, Stevie) Productions rather than their long-term label Warner Bros, and in June, the band signed a ‘first-of-its-kind’ deal with American radio conglomerate Clear Channel. The deal was dubbed a “direct performing rights partnership” - effectively a deal between the company and the band to ensure the band receives fixed revenue from any airplay of their new songs on both digital & broadcast radio. Although performance royalties are typically paid to artists in other countries, it is only now beginning to be implemented in the US through Fleetwood Mac and a handful of indie labels.

While many artists have spoken up about the battle for digital royalties, Fleetwood Mac have managed to forge a deal that is seemingly satisfactory to both themselves and Clear Channel (who operate 850 US radio stations) - bypassing the record labels who traditionally act as intermediaries.

Bob Pittman, CEO of Clear Channel calls Fleetwood Mac “the perfect band for radio... Reaching an agreement with them is the clearest sign yet that this kind of revenue-sharing model represents the industry’s future – it is a win-win-win, for artists, fans and the music business.”

The band’s longtime manager Irving Azoff - who, tellingly, is a member of the Clear Channel board of directors - says that the band “has consistently pushed the envelope. It’s fitting that a group that’s played such an integral role in radio and music history would be the first band to take such a major step - helping the music industry create a sustainable digital marketplace so it can thrive for decades to come.”

As significant as the deal is, it is currently only for one band on one service. While Clear Channel (and its digital offshoot iHeartMusic) is a major player in the US, it is international streaming services like Spotify that are really causing contention. The arguments against such services are many: that they pay artists a pittance, that they suit ‘catalogue’ material more than new releases, that establishing or independent artists are getting lost in the crowd (the latter point recently receiving a lot of media attention after Thom Yorke pulled his solo material from Spotify in solidarity with neglected new talent). Indeed, Spotify don’t even deal directly with artists.

On the other hand, the most common argument for such services is that the traditional model is gone and isn’t coming back, and it’s better to start establishing a model where the artist is paid something instead of nothing. It’s an acceptable compromise between the various interests that is proving difficult to achieve.

Cellist Zoë Keating publicly released details of her earnings, revealing that less than 5% of her digital income comes from streaming services compared to paid downloads. But she remains level-headed about streaming. In her public Google spreadsheet, Keating writes, “I think Spotify is awesome as a listening platform. In my opinion artists should view it as a discovery service rather than a source of income.” However, she also points out “I've said multiple times what my issue with Spotify is: fairness. I care about making the playing field level for all recording artists: signed or unsigned.”

Certainly, this is where the Fleetwood Mac arrangement proves both more and less progressive than it might initially appear. On one hand, the fact that it signals a service provider making a direct deal with an ‘unsigned’ artist is a promising development. If such a model is adapted further, all categories of musicians might find themselves in a more favourable position. Then again, new artists aren’t Fleetwood Mac, and probably don’t have the privilege of their manager being on the board of directors of an influential company.

Will the Fleetwood Mac deal prove to be a trendsetter? Is it a mere aberration in an endless battle between commerce, art and digitisation? Can we cynically dismiss it as an old-fashioned deal from an old-fashioned band? On that last point, maybe not: Fleetwood Mac, well into their fifth decade, are still going their own way. Let’s hope others follow.

This article originally appeared in Newstalk Magazine for iPad in August.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
By BRIAN STELTER
Published: June 13, 2013

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/bu...-mac.html?_r=0

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/06/...landmark-reve/

So far I did not hear any of the FM new tunes on the radio.

Clear Channel is the most corrupt radio station owner in the country .They ruin radio .They are like pac-man gobbling up the Ma-Pa stations and turn them into robo-automated stations that have no live jocks on hand to run it the right way and have short playlists that play the same 10 crap tunes an hour.

Sorry about the rant.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
So far I did not hear any of the FM new tunes on the radio.
I have always wondered what was behind this deal. How come we just hear that it was made and don't get further information like 'Clear Channel got exclusive streaming rights to 400 songs.'

The fact that we don't know the music content of the deal makes me think (or just wishfully dream) that it's not about old FM catalogs, but maybe prospective stuff from them. Michele
Old 12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I have always wondered what was behind this deal. How come we just hear that it was made and don't get further information like 'Clear Channel got exclusive streaming rights to 400 songs.'

The fact that we don't know the music content of the deal makes me think (or just wishfully dream) that it's not about old FM catalogs, but maybe prospective stuff from them. Michele
Indeed, that is correct - it is not about their catalog, but rather for new music only, which is why this deal is not the 'exlusive-mega-extreme' deal that it sounds like. All hype -

Quote:
The deal was dubbed a “direct performing rights partnership” - effectively a deal between the company and the band to ensure the band receives fixed revenue from any airplay of their new songs on both digital & broadcast radio.
I underscored the word 'any', because it is so important, in context. The deal ensures the band is paid for 'any' airplay of their new songs from Extended Play. Not a word about old material, and ironically not even a deal that there would actually *be* any airplay for the new material.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Indeed, that is correct - it is not about their catalog, but rather for new music only, which is why this deal is not the 'exlusive-mega-extreme' deal that it sounds like. All hype -

I underscored the word 'any', because it is so important, in context. The deal ensures the band is paid for 'any' airplay of their new songs from Extended Play. Not a word about old material, and ironically not even a deal that there would actually *be* any airplay for the new material.
Yes .The right thing to do is play every tune in the FM library but they concentrate on 10 popular tunes and play the crap out of them.

Here in CT the station have no problem playing FM oldies.When it comes after 2004 which they put on the ignore playlist.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Yes .The right thing to do is play every tune in the FM library but they concentrate on 10 popular tunes and play the crap out of them.
We all know this is what they do with every artist. Often the best songs were never released as singles. But I think this is the reason that Stevie uses to justify playing the same songs on every tour without budging. It must be so frustrating for an artist, any artist who has recorded and released a multitude of songs to always have to play their hits.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But I hope if this deal was for new FM songs, that people contemplated it being more than just the EP.

But yeah, the "groundbreaking" deal talk and headlines is just publicity for Clear Channel. Nothing really noteworthy happened and the value of the contract is probably minimal.

Michele
Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
We all know this is what they do with every artist. Often the best songs were never released as singles. But I think this is the reason that Stevie uses to justify playing the same songs on every tour without budging. It must be so frustrating for an artist, any artist who has recorded and released a multitude of songs to always have to play their hits.
Yes I agree.Its not only Clear Channel.CBS radio,Cumulus Media ,Cox Radio,Emmis Communications ‎ and others do the same.

Quote:
But I hope if this deal was for new FM songs, that people contemplated it being more than just the EP.

But yeah, the "groundbreaking" deal talk and headlines is just publicity for Clear Channel. Nothing really noteworthy happened and the value of the contract is probably minimal.

Michele
Yes I agree.With 860 plus stations under their belt .They can do anything .They own the world.Clear Channel is Walmart of radio.

The FCC should of not relaxed the radio ownership rules.Its getting out of hand.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/review-bro...wnership-rules