Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-18-2023, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Fleetwood Mac 195 album cover

I don’t remember if this has been asked before, but does anybody know the story behind the 1975 album cover? Specially why is john shown with a dwarf appearance (or is he on his knees)?

And the story of the crystal ball first appearance?

Old 10-18-2023, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I don't know any particular story for this cover. But each cover is sort of its own mystery. Mick is pretty tall so it balances out the photo to have John lower. The previous cover (Heroes) has Mick horsing around in underwear.
I do love the mystery behind album covers. I watched a full 60 minute segment once on all the secrets and hidden meanings on Michael Jackson's Dangerous album. I love the 1990 BTM album cover. The band could not even explain it except they gave the painter full imagination to interpret the band through his own work. I think its brilliant and one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac covers. I love Mystery To Me which is another conversation piece. Bare Trees is great too. Rumous is awesome and I even love Tusk. Tusk looks like an album cover of a punk rock band. Mirage is beautiful. The only Mac album cover I don't like is Tango. Its stale and boring and almost copyright violation if it was not pre-approved. Not much imagination into it. One cover that does not get the attention it deserves is the 1980 Live album. The front cover is top 3 favorite Mac covers. How long did it take people to realize some members are facing the other way. Simple yet brilliant effect while the band is on stage for a live album cover.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
How long did it take people to realize some members are facing the other way. Simple yet brilliant effect while the band is on stage for a live album cover.
I realized that almost immediately, but I also asked WHY? I even thoght... maybe it's me! But no, they are really facing the other way.

That's one of the mysteries you are talking about.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I realized that almost immediately, but I also asked WHY? I even thoght... maybe it's me! But no, they are really facing the other way.

That's one of the mysteries you are talking about.
I always wanted to see the live album photo unblurred. Christine is facing the audience with her arms raised. Center stage! John and Mick are facing the crowd, too. Lindsey and Stevie are turned towards the camera, him with his arms around her.

Edit: I think it’s a fantastic cover. Love Lindsey’s stance, love John’s arm around Mick. How some of the image is clear and other portions are blurred. Very evocative. I also like that the pairings are Lindsey/Stevie and John/Mick. This is a cool twist on the usual Rumours-era couples breaking up. Christine at stage center—I have always found this gratifying.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 10-18-2023 at 09:08 PM..
Old 10-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t remember if this has been asked before, but does anybody know the story behind the 1975 album cover? Specially why is john shown with a dwarf appearance (or is he on his knees)?

And the story of the crystal ball first appearance?

It was the second album designed with Herbert Worthington images. I remember reading somewhere that part of the concept was to feature the continuity of the rhythm section, despite the recent lineup change. That ties in with the self-titled record, too. But why the crystal ball, why the strange, makeshift door, and why John on his knees—no idea. We’ve seen alternate photos for the Rumours cover, but I have never seen alternate front cover pics for Heroes or the white album.
Old 10-18-2023, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of Herbert Worthington photos, I always thought this would have made a great choice front cover for Heroes.

IMG_7362.jpeg

Last edited by aleuzzi; 10-18-2023 at 09:52 PM..
Old 10-18-2023, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
One cover that does not get the attention it deserves is the 1980 Live album. (...) How long did it take people to realize some members are facing the other way.
For me, not being able to see the band's faces and the audience being behind the band was a give-away.

What kind of cover would you have liked for Tango?
Something with a special kind of love?
The hanging gardens of Babylon?
Here's something more imaginative for you.

Old 10-19-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I always wanted to see the live album photo unblurred. Christine is facing the audience with her arms raised. Center stage! John and Mick are facing the crowd, too. Lindsey and Stevie are turned towards the camera, him with his arms around her.

Edit: I think it’s a fantastic cover. Love Lindsey’s stance, love John’s arm around Mick. How some of the image is clear and other portions are blurred. Very evocative. I also like that the pairings are Lindsey/Stevie and John/Mick. This is a cool twist on the usual Rumours-era couples breaking up. Christine at stage center—I have always found this gratifying.
There's something about the LIttle LIes video that made me so happy she was up front and center. And the rest were supporting her. A moment of clarity.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
What kind of cover would you have liked for Tango?
Something like this would have made more sense.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:49 AM

I love the Tango In The Night album cover. It always gave me a sense of mystery and I would stare at it while listening. I would see something different each time.

I also thought the photo shoots were kind of crappy. The bare feet, the weird poses. I did like the back cover with the 5.
Old 10-19-2023, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What does make sense about the Tango cover is that it appears a penguin there. I guess it's a rockhopper, or maybe a macaroni, I'm not so expert about penguins.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
What does make sense about the Tango cover is that it appears a penguin there. I guess it's a rockhopper, or maybe a macaroni, I'm not so expert about penguins.
I've always hated the Orange Grove Cover on Greatest hits.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The thing I don't like about the Tango album cover is that it does not represent the band in any form. It was not created for the band nor did the band have any input. It was a painting hanging in Lindsey's house that he enjoyed. They got the painter's permission and it became their album cover. Zero thought, zero influence. Granted the band probably did not want to appear since some were not well. But something creative should have been done. Having said that, I feel Lindsey's pain in trying to finish the album. He was pulling out his hair what he was going through. I can see him say, oh yeah we need an album cover. Gee whiz we could barely get through the recording of the album. No way we could agree on something or have time to be creative. Lets get this project over with. Oh.....look over there on the wall. I always liked that painting. Its our album cover. Problem solved!
Clearly its no Mystery To Me.

But its probably very fitting for the album. Tango is considered a Lindsey solo album so why should he not have his favorite painting as the cover. I would have voted for Piggy in the middle, piggy in the driveway buying stimulating substances.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-19-2023 at 11:43 AM..
Old 10-19-2023, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
There's something about the LIttle LIes video that made me so happy she was up front and center. And the rest were supporting her. A moment of clarity.
Yep. A moment of "keeping it realness." We know who the real hitmaker was.
Old 10-19-2023, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tango is considered a Lindsey solo album so why should he not have his favorite painting as the cover.
I was going to ask you the "solo album" definition but then I realized it's the same Over My Head thread joke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (87.7 KB, 3 views)