The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:37 PM

Default Fleetwood's In Maui

Heard from a solid source that Mick's restaurant on Front Street burned down.
Hoping it's not true, but my source is usually 100%.

That makes me very sad, and I hope nobody was hurt.
Old 08-09-2023, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted a link, but after rereading it, I deleted it.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 08-09-2023 at 04:19 PM..
Old 08-09-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I posted a link, but after rereading it, I deleted it.
What did the link say?
Old 08-09-2023, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel really sad for the good people of Lahaina who live right behind Front Street and across the town and work on Front Street. Lahaina is a divine place. Front Street is the place you can imagine in your dreams.

Mick’s restaurant is enormous. It’s two floors of restaurant and then the bottom floor has his General Store which is a gift shop.

I wasn’t sure if the fire made it to the shops on Front Street. The restaurant essentially posted they have no idea what the state of their restaurant is and thanked people for their mahalo. I’m guessing Mick evacuated to Oahu. I don’t think he actually lives in Lahaina though.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood's on Front St. facebook posted this, 3 hours ago:

As most of you know Maui has been dealing with extreme fires created by the residual winds of Hurricane Dora. Lahaina Town has taken the brunt of it 💔. We do not have enough information at this time regarding Fleetwoods on Front St or any of our neighbors to share. Mahalo for your continued thoughts and prayers for our community and our first responders
Old 08-09-2023, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Heard from a solid source that Mick's restaurant on Front Street burned down.
Hoping it's not true, but my source is usually 100%.

That makes me very sad, and I hope nobody was hurt.
The restaurant is 0.3 miles from the harbor, and this video shows the harbor. This is not a good sign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP9wR8vqFys
Old 08-09-2023, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this article from local news has a photo someone took standing on Front Street as the fire advanced..

https://www.civilbeat.org/2023/08/mu...whelming-fire/

Maui
Much Of Historic Lahaina Town Believed Destroyed By Overwhelming Fire
There have been 6 fatalities confirmed so far, according to Mayor Richard Bissen.

By Hawaii News Now / About 6 hours ago
Reading time: 4 minutes.

LAHAINA – Eyewitnesses described an apocalyptic scene Tuesday in Lahaina town, where residents were forced to jump into the harbor waters to avoid fast-moving flames from a massive brush fire that’s destroyed much of the historic area — and continues to burn.

Residents say an overwhelmed fire force — fighting flames all day amid powerful winds — could do little as flames ripped through the historic community, destroying dozens of homes and businesses in what onlookers believe is the worst natural disaster in Hawaii’s history since Hurricane Iniki.

Acting Gov. Sylvia Luke confirmed that the Hawaii National Guard had been activated to help respond to the sprawling fire crisis, which also includes other raging wildfires. The flames have forced thousands to their homes, and many aren’t sure what they’ll find when they return.

An onlooker filmed the wildfire burning buildings in Lahaina Tuesday. (Alan Dickar/Hawaii News Now) photo

Officials confirmed to Hawaii News Now that the Coast Guard deployed a helicopter and boat to Front Street Beach and the Lahaina Small Boat Harbor to rescue a number of people from the water.

About 10:50 p.m., the Coast Guard said it had rescued a dozen people from waters off Lahaina.

The full scope of the devastation in Lahaina isn’t known, but videos on social media show a terrifying wall of flames descending on Front Street in Lahaina and destroying everything in its path. One heartstopping video posted by fleeing residents shows uncontrolled flames in all directions.

The video also shows burned out cars, but there was no immediate word on injuries.

Lahaina resident Tiare Lawrence compared the scene to something out of the apocalypse, with people running for their lives.

“It’s just so hard. I’m currently Upcountry and just knowing I can’t get a hold of any of my family members. I still don’t know where my little brother is. I don’t know where my stepdad is,” she said.

“Everyone I know in Lahaina, their homes have burned down.”

Front Street business owner Alan Dickar says he watched business after business in the historic district going up in flames.

“Buildings on both sides were engulfed. There were no fire trucks at that point; I think the fire department was overwhelmed,” Dickar said. “That is the most important business street on Maui.”

A Maui County spokesperson confirmed there were “multiple” structure fires in addition to “extensive evacuations” in the Lahaina area, but authorities said they were unlikely to ascertain the full extent until well into Wednesday — when winds are expected to die down.

The county also said it wasn’t immediately clear just how many people jumped into the water off Lahaina to avoid smoke and flames, though they indicated rescue operations were ongoing.

Front Street
Front Street in Lahaina, shown in file photo, is reported to be heavily damaged after wildfires reached the area Tuesday. (Ludwig Laab/Civil Beat/2021)

“The Coast Guard has been responding to impacted areas where residents are entering the ocean due to smoke and fire conditions,” the county said, in a news release about 10 p.m. Tuesday.

“Individuals were transported by the Coast Guard to safe areas.”

The brush fire in Lahaina is one of at least seven sizable wildfires that firefighters are battling statewide amid treacherous conditions — powerful winds, low humidity and dry brush.

The winds — fueled by Hurricane Dora as it passes south of the state — have topped 55 mph in many spots, with gusts to 70 to 80 mph. In addition to wildfires, first responders are grappling with downed trees and damaged structures. Also on Maui, thousands remain without power.

And while the Lahaina fire appears by fire to have wrought the most devastation, widespread damage is also being reported in Kihei and Kula, where evacuation orders also remain in place.

Another concern for first responders is the thick smoke blanketing parts of Maui.

Earlier in the day, officials confirmed that a firefighter in West Maui suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center in stable condition.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-09-2023 at 05:49 PM..
Old 08-09-2023, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
What did the link say?
It was a Facebook post from the restaurant. On first glance, I thought it said the restaurant was okay. But I think they said that they're not actually certain.

It's on fb on Fleetwoods on Front Street.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Ledgie

If you search “Front Street Maui” on Twitter (err X) you can see everything looks decimated. Very sad!
Old 08-09-2023, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I follow Sara on Twitter and she said she heard from Mick and he is in LA and fine, but they didn't know about the restaurant. Seeing the devastation on the news is just heartbreaking

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 08-09-2023, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/st...85072691183617

video from someone on Front Street showing everything burned and black.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is so sad. I was in Lahaina last week as part of a 2 week vacation. It's such a cool, artsy, hippie old whaling town that rolls into the sea. I was at Mick's store and restaurant, but more devestating to me, are all the small family businesses that are now gone on this closely settled street.

Last edited by John Run; 08-09-2023 at 10:03 PM..
Old 08-09-2023, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

Holy crap!
Old 08-09-2023, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Absolutely frightening videos of the whole area. We rag on Mick a lot (and rightfully so) but I certainly don’t want to see his business, his employees, or himself affected like this. I hope everyone is safe.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

Wow, I feel so bad for those folks. That's just devastating.