User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
Err, "Effing Peasants" is just the name of the brother's message board.
Ok my apologies,..The way you worded it was kind of ambigious.I did check the page and it seems to be one of those forums where very few post and you have to be rigorously screened before you can..very similar to how The Black Ledge was setup.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

interesting.... exclusive interview with former Paisley Daily Express editor Norman Macdonald

In an attempt to locate the original interview to determine date, located -0-

The final curtain for the old Regal Cinema
Jan 16 2009 by Alison Rennie, Paisley Daily Express

THE old Regal Cinema on High Street is to be demolished, marking the end of an era for Paisley and its people.

The town once boasted seven cinemas and had more picture houses per head of population than anywhere in Europe.

When the bulldozers move in over the next few weeks fond memories will be triggered for those who once filed through its doors.

Built in 1934, the Regal changed its name to the ABC in 1960s, during which time it was always packed with thousands of young Buddies rushing along to the Minors on a Saturday morning.

Amongst those fans was our very own singer-songwriter Buddie Gerry Rafferty. The Baker Street singer revealed how he went along to the Minors and sang along to their theme tune in an exclusive interview with former Paisley Daily Express editor Norman Macdonald. It was renamed the Regal when it was bought by CAC in 1978 and closed as a cinema in 1981.

The building was bought over by County Bingo and was run as a bingo and social club before being sold on to Gala, which triggered its closure on March 5, 2006.

Ellen Farmer, chair of the Old Paisley Society, said it was a great shame that the building was being bulldozed.

She said: “Unless there’s another use for it, I suppose there’s nothing else to be done with the building.

“I think back to my own children and they went to the ABC Minors and they’re in their 40s now. I went as well when I was younger!

“It’s sad, a lot of people will have a lot of fond memories of the building and will be sorry to see it go.”

Buddie Michael Fedigan added: “What was once a architectural art nouveau gem in the history of Paisley’s cinema’s past has been left to rot and decay. It shall be a sad day in the history of Paisley to see the building go.

“Why couldn’t it have been re-opened as a cinema in the heart of Paisley instead of having to travel to Linwood or Glasgow to see a movie?

“This is yet another blow to the Paisley High Street.

“What is Renfrewshire Council actually doing? Couldn’t they have stepped in a long time ago and made sure something positive was done with the building for Paisley?

“One by one we seem to be losing all our proud history of the town.”

The building will be down by the end of February.

Surveyor Gordon Speir from Central Demolitions said: “We started on-site this week.

“The building has a lot of asbestos in it so we’ll be working on removing that over the next two to three weeks.

“It won’t take long to come down.

“We’ll probably do it over a weekend because there will be some road closures because of where it is situated. We don’t have an exact timetable yet but the building will definitely be down by the end of next month.”
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah there is really no indication of when the actual interview with Gerry took place but his attendance there seems to be many years ago.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Ok my apologies.
No problem.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
interesting.... exclusive interview with former Paisley Daily Express editor Norman Macdonald

In an attempt to locate the original interview to determine date, located -0-
Good find!

I've emailed the paper to see if they can shed light on when this interview was. Hopefully they will respond.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The reporter did respond, however the intervirew referred to was several years ago, so no indication of Gerry's current whereabouts.

However, Gerry has always been reclusive, so no news is not necessarily an indication he has come to harm.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
from the info that I can glean he was apparently in for complications secondary to a lifetime of heavy drinking .It is reported he left all his belongings in the hospital room as well as urine soaked sheets.If he is still missing at this point sadly he may no longer be alive.
Oh wow, I had no idea. Sad story

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
The reporter did respond, however the intervirew referred to was several years ago, so no indication of Gerry's current whereabouts.

However, Gerry has always been reclusive, so no news is not necessarily an indication he has come to harm.
I hope he is alive and well somewhere ..I'm aware of him being somewhat of a recluse.His refusal to tour much even at the height of his fame is said to have contributed to his fading into obscurity by the mid 1980s.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I hope he is alive and well somewhere ..I'm aware of him being somewhat of a recluse.His refusal to tour much even at the height of his fame is said to have contributed to his fading into obscurity by the mid 1980s.
Despite fading out of the limelight I believe he earns a very good annual wage off the back of his ‘Baker Street’ royalties. It’s still a staple of UK Gold radio after 30 years. Classic tune. As is Nightowl, another huge favourite of mine.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

Gerry Rafferty found in Tuscany, I'm told.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
Gerry Rafferty found in Tuscany, I'm told.
Gerry Rafferty happily stuck in the middle of Tuscany
Baker Street singer Gerry Rafferty has assured fans he is not missing, but happily living in Tuscany and writing his next album.

By Sarah Knapton
Last Updated: 10:29PM GMT 17 Feb 2009

Gerry Rafferty: It was feared the multi-million selling musician could have been kidnapped. He was actually living in Tuscany. Photo: MICHAEL OCHS/GETTY
Concern grew for the former Stealers Wheel frontman after friends and family said they had not heard from the singer for six months.

Rafferty caused alarm after vanishing from St Thomas' hospital in London last summer when he was being treated for liver failure.

Earlier this week The Guardian newspaper reported he was hiding in the south of England and being cared for by a friend.

But his solicitors issued a statement refuting the story and saying Rafferty was "extremely well", composing new songs at his home in Italy.

A statement given to Channel 4 News said: "Contrary to reports Gerry is extremely well and has been living in Tuscany for the last six months.

"At his house there, which is situated just north of Florence, he continues to compose and record new songs and music.

"He would like to send a personal thank-you to all of his fans who have expressed their concern for his wellbeing and he hopes to release a new album of his most recent work in the summer of this year."

The Paisley-born singer, who had formed the Humblebums with Billy Connolly before going on to front Stealers Wheel and writing Stuck in the Middle With You, hit the headlines in August when he trashed his room at the Westbury hotel, where he had been staying for four days.

His former Stealers Wheel bandmate Tony Williams, who is now a councillor in Blackpool, said he had been concerned for Rafferty although he had not seen him for many years.

He said: "I'm delighted he's fine."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...f-Tuscany.html

Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy

Quote:
Concern grew for the former Stealers Wheel frontman after friends and family said they had not heard from the singer for six months.
hmmm...he must not be that close to any of them.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A similar report from The Gauardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...erty-in-hiding

Good to hear he is OK after all.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
hmmm...he must not be that close to any of them.
Well, if someone is reclusive, you might be used to not hearing from them for long periods.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
Despite fading out of the limelight I believe he earns a very good annual wage off the back of his ‘Baker Street’ royalties. It’s still a staple of UK Gold radio after 30 years. Classic tune. As is Nightowl, another huge favourite of mine.
I read one report of 80,000 pounds per year from Baker Street alone.

Although, you can't always believe what you read on the internet.