Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
Well Merry Cliffness and God Bless Us Everyone! We got Cliff Lee BACK!!!!!!

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/12/14/i...e-shows-value/
OMG, I was reading the news on the Internet this morning & I thought I was seeing things. Besides Chase Utley, I LOVE CLIFF LEE! This is awesome! See Jayson, not everyone is all about the most money.

Lee
Old 12-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Being a Rangers fan, something sounded odd...

about the whole Cliff Lee deal, I just found this online:

Owner says Rangers turned down Cliff Lee’s offer to re-sign for seven guaranteed years

Initially last night the Cliff Lee storyline was that he left as much as $50 million on the table because he loved Philadelphia and simply wanted to pitch for the Phillies instead of the Yankees or Rangers.

However, now that the various contract details are trickling in it turns out he probably left at most $13 million on the table and may actually end up with more money (once deferred payments and other factors are taken into account) from the Phillies than he was offered elsewhere.

And this afternoon Rangers chief executive officer Chuck Greenberg revealed that Lee “was willing to remain a Ranger” and in fact offered to re-sign if Texas would guarantee him a seven-year deal:

" In this instance, it was simply a matter of us saying, “yes.” But it would have been a matter of us saying “yes” on terms that we weren’t comfortable with. This was not a matter of Cliff making a decision not to come to Texas. He was willing to remain a Ranger, but it was on terms that we felt went beyond the aggressive parameters within which we were already operating. Had we been willing to go beyond the parameters that we were willing to go, he would be here. But we didn’t think that was in the long-term best interest of the franchise.

Greenberg and company turned down Lee’s seven-year proposal and their final offer was $138 million over six years with a seventh-year vesting option worth $23 million. Lee ended up signing a deal with the Phillies that guarantees him $120 million for five years and includes a sixth-year option for 2016 that vests based on his innings count.

So yes, Lee may have turned down slightly less money in choosing the Phillies, but according to Greenberg that’s only because the Rangers turned down his offer to re-sign for seven guaranteed years.

--------------------------------------------------

I kinda figure he wouldn't resign with the Rangers, but at least it's cool he went to the Phillies instead of the Yankees or the Angels

Man, I cannot wait til the catchers/pitchers report for Spring training, I've been going through 'Baseball Withdrawal' this winter.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

"I kinda figure he wouldn't resign with the Rangers, but at least it's cool he went to the Phillies instead of the Yankees or the Angels

Man, I cannot wait til the catchers/pitchers report for Spring training, I've been going through 'Baseball Withdrawal' this winter."

ITA! Seriously, I don't care how we got him; I'm just glad that we did. And the Phillies' talk once again overshadows all other Philly sports talk. Their pitching will be awesome. Now if their hitting would get better, that would be even more awesome.

Lee
Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink Well...

less than 2 months and I will be happy:

Jan. 5-15, 2011
* Salary arbitration filing period

Jan. 18, 2011
* Salary arbitration figures exchanged

Feb. 1-21, 2011
* Salary arbitration hearings

Feb. 13, 2011
* Voluntary spring training reporting date for pitchers, catchers and injured players

Feb. 18, 2011
* Voluntary spring training reporting date for non-pitchers and catchers

March 1, 2011
* Mandatory Spring Training reporting date for all players

March 2-11, 2011
* Contracts of unsigned players may be renewed

March 28, 2011
* Deadline to request unconditional release waivers without having to pay player's full 2011 salary

March 31, 2011
* Opening day

------------------------------------

I just found this and found it funny, MLB season hasnt started (Obviously) but the Dodgers/Giants rivalry is alive in well during this winter-time:

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...antrum/3798821

"ESPN and Major League Baseball are trying to move the Giants' 2011 opener from LA to San Francisco to allow for the ring presentation and flag raising to be nationally televised.

This move has caused the Dodgers to throw a fit. The Dodgers blog run by the LA Times summed up the displeasure nicely.

Memo to the San Francisco Giants:

Celebrate on your own time. Pat yourselves on the back as scheduled. Don’t suddenly look south to your arch enemies and expect applause.

Hey, you won the World Series. Congratulations, you earned it. Be proud and all. I’m just so happy for you.

Only don’t expect the baseball schedule and the Dodgers to bow in ceremony...

I don’t think so. Exactly what is in it for the Dodgers? Outside of an extra chartered flight and hotel stay in San Francisco? Hasn’t anyone heard the Dodgers are carefully watching their expenses these days?

Look I understand the not wanting the schedule to change but this isn't like moving a game in the middle of a season. The season is still over 100 days away and things at this point are not set in stone.

The Dodgers money is a little tight and they don't want to help out their superiors to the north but MLB should really just step in and make this right."

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 12-15-2010 at 08:33 PM..