User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBlues View Post
I'd loved to have seen Peter play with the likes of Keith Moon and John Entwistle. Not taking from Mick and John as their style is different but Moon and Entwistle were a power house.
Moon and Entwhistle were indeed a powerhouse and I love the Who , but (and I my be doing him an injustice )how would Moon have dealt with Need Your Love So Bad .for example ,I just don't think he was even capable of being as restrained and sympathetic as Mick was ,(not to mention the slow burning build up in the middle section ) , On two occasions I have seen Mick do very very flash things on the drums -things that, if you'd just heard it without knowing who it was doing it , you would say "that can't be Mick Fleetwood drumming" it was so out of character compared to his FM stye (in any FM era )
But he is wise enough or sensitive enough to, as he says himself, "Keep it Simple " cause that's what is required for the overal effect of the band The shuffle section at the end of Black Magic Woman would be a good example of this effective simplicity ! You've opened a can of worms here - without Moon are the Who as good as they were and therefore is Pete Townsend as effective as he was with without Moon backing him (more like Moon leading him ) ? What would Pete Townsend sound like backed by Mick and John- I can't see that working ?

Last edited by THD; 09-18-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Ledgie

Great Points. Keith as people have pointed out would have sounded crap if he wasn't in the Who (And I'm a big fan but he was destined for The Who). For the Who Are You album album Keith couldn't play on one track "Music Must Change" because it was in 5/4 time instead of the normal 4/4.

I would never have wanted FM and The Who's history change but it would be great to imagine if after Peter left FM he formed a mini supergroup with Enwistle and Moon for one album or a couple of live dates as a small touring band.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
This should perhaps be in a thread of its own...

I respect all artists for doing tribute to Peter Green.
Gary Moore, Bernie Marsden etc...

However, there are very few I find interesting.
A couple of exceptions must be Snowy White and Rory Gallagher on that "Peter Green Songbook" (aka "Rattlesnake Guitar") 2CD.
And of course The Beatles' "Sun King" is sweet, but that's not a cover...

I've also stumbled across some amateur recordings on Youtube which were good. But most stuff there is nothing to write home about.
Well.... I really liked the Mick Fleetwood Bluesband with Rick Vito. Rick did a fantastic job on Peters songs. I especially liked the way he solved the problem of three guitars on Albatross. And his version of Love That Burns really got to me.
He overruled everything that Gary Moore, Bernie Marsden or Jim King have done.