The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why does this site go off line so often?

Was unable to get onto The Ledge for 2 days. What happens during this time? Every time this happens I fear the worst and think 'that's it, it's gone, no more Ledge'.
Is this some sort of maintenance period? and what if so, what does that mean exactly? Answers on a postcard.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-10-2019, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Further to the previous op...have we lost several days' worth of posts????

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-10-2019, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some of my posts have vanished but I'll get over it. LOL
I am just glad The Ledge is back.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Same here. I wasn't able to get on for about 2 days and my last post went missing. This site is beyond awful.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Some of my posts have vanished but I'll get over it. LOL
I am just glad The Ledge is back.
same! this place is priceless, it's like a cloud storage of so much FM history here. i was worried it's all lost and gone in the last 2 days. i'm glad that's been avoided, for now.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Was unable to get onto The Ledge for 2 days. What happens during this time? Every time this happens I fear the worst and think 'that's it, it's gone, no more Ledge'.
Is this some sort of maintenance period? and what if so, what does that mean exactly? Answers on a postcard.
Same.

I'm fairly certain that they're on a cheaper server these days, and who can blame them, given the outdated platform. HOWEVER, quite a few of us still love this site!

I messaged two different friends today, just making certain that, "it wasn't just me". Old habits are hard to break.

I'm just glad that it's back. Wish the same could be said of Lindsey being back, and that Tom Petty's Crowded House was an outage like we had here(albeit more permanent in that scenario-I hate the new lineup).

PS- it's still not fixed. I'm trying to mark all the forums read, and it keeps saying that I "don't have the right security token".

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 06-11-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Old 06-11-2019, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . and sadly no statement (yet) on this matter from whoever is in charge.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm fairly certain that they're on a cheaper server these days, and who can blame them, given the outdated platform.
I'm sure this is the case.

Also, someone somewhere is paying for the server. [Whoever that is is a mystery to me (*ba dum dum*)]. I used to post on a board that is identical to this one for a different artist. It would shut down whenever the $$ wasn't paid. Then a few days later it was back up. Finally after a few years, the person paying just said screw it, and the whole site went down, archive gone forever, etc. That was a tough loss. Many of us attached to the old posts and archive tried to retrieve it through various outlets and avenues but it was gone.

So nothing is certain on an old site and platform like this... but this is also a far more established band and long-term posting site so it stands a better chance for someone to keep it afloat.

EDIT: Anyone know who runs this? Fleetwood Mac Fan Club (is that even a real thing)? I cannot remember how I even found this board.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Same here. I wasn't able to get on for about 2 days and my last post went missing. This site is beyond awful.
There are more awful things going on in the band's life right now than this site acting weird, and I don't see anyone complaining about it.

I'm glad we're back.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If posts are gone then there's been a loss of part of the database, probably a reversion to an earlier saved date. This could be caused by server migration or other server issues.

I used this board software for years and loved it; then my server host forced a php upgrade and due to a compatibility issue with the old software version which I won't go into, my board was down for a month and I lost six weeks of posts before I could fix it.

2 days doesn't sound so bad.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-11-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Moreover, I am not aware of the site going off line "so often." My bank's site is down much more often than this one is.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Moreover, I am not aware of the site going off line "so often." My bank's site is down much more often than this one is.
It was down for me pretty much all weekend. Jbrowns told me that he was on, but it was down every time I tried(which was probably 4-5 times a day - given being frustrated with the outage).

And there is obviously still an issue. Trying hitting "Mark forums read" on the main page, for the error alert.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It was down for me pretty much all weekend. Jbrowns told me that he was on, but it was down every time I tried(which was probably 4-5 times a day - given being frustrated with the outage).

And there is obviously still an issue. Trying hitting "Mark forums read" on the main page, for the error alert.
Yes, I know it was down for 2 days. I am just saying that it's not as if it's down every week or even every month.

I can remember early on that I did something in maintenance, can't remember what, but I caused it to go off line and lost a bunch of posts. Marty, the site founder, was having a children's birthday party and his brother-in-law was over at the house with him and they both had computer skills and they uploaded the site from a back up and got it back online for me. It was crazy.

And as Nancy said there are server changes, every time you change to a new server, if you don't back up and then turn vbulletin off completely, then you will lose unsaved data.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I know it was down for 2 days. I am just saying that it's not as if it's down every week or even every month.

I can remember early on that I did something in maintenance, can't remember what, but I caused it to go off line and lost a bunch of posts. Marty, the site founder, was having a children's birthday party and his brother-in-law was over at the house with him and they both had computer skills and they uploaded the site from a back up and got it back online for me. It was crazy.

And as Nancy said there are server changes, every time you change to a new server, if you don't back up and then turn vbulletin off completely, then you will lose unsaved data.
Oh, I know. It's pretty infrequent, actually.

Thank you for all you do to keep it running.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm just glad we found an owner who lets us continue our decades long arguments.