The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2002, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am thinking (hoping) that if Christine does do one last show it will be in the UK (if they get their butts over here!!)

Pip
Old 07-19-2002, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
And despite Stevie's best wishes I don't think it was ever intended that she came to the UK for TISL.

I don't know, I really do think that Stevie had every intention to tour the UK, and possibly elsewhere, for 'Trouble In Shangri-La'.

She mentioned in several interviews that she wanted to tour abroad, and even the t-shirt my aunt picked up for me at the concert, bears the notation, "World Tour 2001."

It's my feeling that if it weren't for the tragedies that occured here in the states on September 11th, and the huge feeling of uncertainty that those events left, Stevie would have indeed toured beyond our shores.

Johnny Stew
Old 07-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear what you are saying Johnny but I still think they would have been pushing the promotion if the tour had been intended to come here. Isaw that the T-shirts said world tour but yet they were printed with only tour dates in the USA??? That just doesn't make sense.

My opinion (and this is just my own personal opinion) is that what Stevie wanted to do and what the record company wanted her to do were two different things...

Pip
Old 07-19-2002, 04:26 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree with Pip. Maybe it was not Stevie´s intention to leave out Europe, but the record company really didn´t bother too much about this continent.

I won´t repeat my posts of last year where I had already complained about not even releasing a commercially available single over here (even after the success of POTU in the US), which could´ve been a major support for both airplay and album sales in Europe. Please keep in mind that in Europe the "climate" for singles is different and that our radio formats are built up in a slightly different way.

Even "non-Stevie" promotion (i.e. adverts etc.) was basically next to nothing, which says a lot about the main focus of the record company. It´s only a pity considering the fact that albums like Street Angel and Behind The Mask reached relatively better chart positions than in the US - especially in the UK and I remember the same for Germany.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

A little P.S.: The US itself is the biggest record market, of course. So it´s definitely an important focus for FM and/or Reprise. But Europe´s "impact" as a whole shouldn´t be underrated either, when it comes to sales figures that are so important to record companies.
Old 07-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my take...

This upcoming fall tour "coincides" with the release of the Greatest Hits album...it doesn't mean that they're really touring to SUPPORT the album.

I take it to mean that they're saying "ok, this greatest hits package is where we WERE...THIS is where we are now, and you'll have a new album in spring...hope you enjoy the way we ARE as much as you liked the way we WERE". It's probably the best marketing scheme they've come up with in 25 years. They OBVIOUSLY dropped the ball marketing-wise after "The Dance".

They'll probably start out the tour playing more of the "hits" with Lindsey being the obvious choice to sing whatever Christine's tunes they do; and a couple of the songs that'll be on the new album. If the tour lasts through the end of the year, look for them to keep adding new tunes and dropping the older tunes. I think once the album is finally released, the set will have changed considerably from the way it was during the fall leg of the tour.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I think........................

I do believe IF the MAC starts the tour in fall 2002 the set will change a bit as the new album is released. However,
I hope they don't do any of Christine's tunes. Not even Don't Stop. There is enough "Greatest Hit" material without doing Christine tunes. Buckingham and Nicks will most likely add their solo "hits" to the mix. I know Lindsey likes to shake things up a bit with the live shows."The Dance "was the Greatest Hits show, now is the time to do the Buckingham/ Nicks show!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking Too cool...

Wow. I read a glimmer about this earlier in the week, but didn't give it much thought. But now that word is spreading and it might actually happen?

WOW.

I was resigned to not seeing them until next year. But a fall tour followed by another in the spring seems incredibly...daring for this band, doesn't it?

This actually looks like a smart plan: do a small (say, 20 city) tour in the fall, which concentrates on the hits, a few rarities, and a couple of new songs. Then launch a world tour next spring that relies heavily on the new material (especially if they have a "double album"' worth of music).

Quote:
If the tour lasts through the end of the year, look for them to keep adding new tunes and dropping the older tunes. I think once the album is finally released, the set will have changed considerably from the way it was during the fall leg of the tour.
If they do this, they'll have me on board for every possible show I can go to. I just saw a couple of concerts last week, two nights in a row. The setlist changed by 2 or 3 songs the second night, but it felt like an entirely new show. I read that the next night it changed again. If I thought that they might slip in "Twisted" or something equally rare on some random night, I'll drive the extra few hours or whatever to go to more shows. (Guess I better start looking for that second job now to pay for that!)

This is the most exciting thing I've heard about this latest incarnation of the Mac yet! I'm excited...

Mike B.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Too cool...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
If they do this, they'll have me on board for every possible show I can go to. I just saw a couple of concerts last week, two nights in a row. The setlist changed by 2 or 3 songs the second night, but it felt like an entirely new show. I read that the next night it changed again. If I thought that they might slip in "Twisted" or something equally rare on some random night, I'll drive the extra few hours or whatever to go to more shows. (Guess I better start looking for that second job now to pay for that!)

This is the most exciting thing I've heard about this latest incarnation of the Mac yet! I'm excited...

Mike B.
Hey Mike, don't forget to take your wonderful toys to these shows, funds will not allow a trip to the USA this fall for me

Hopefully come the Spring tour, I may be able to come up with the money for a jaunt overseas and also wait for the European dates.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 07-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy-Rhiannon
The failure of The Dance and TISL over here was due to lack of promotion. There was none for either...absolutely zilch.

And despite Stevie's best wishes I don't think it was ever intended that she came to the UK for TISL. I can remember the promotion fo The Other Side of the Mirror.....it started way before th release...and for TISL there was nothing.

I am just hoping that somewhere in the depths of Mick Fleetwoods' conscience he will remember his roots and drag Fleetwood Mac over here!!!

Pip
We ALL wanted Stevie to tour the UK and Europe and Stevie with all the best will in the world wanted to do the full enchillada but look at it realistically....from the record company and the marketing people......
A tour wouldn't have been that succesful in Europe.....with NO promotion of TISL and a still 'tarnished' reputation...ie comments like oh yes Stevie Nicks she is so totally hooked on coke right?? Or ....I thought she was dead...is another comment that has been made to me personally........compounded with the fact that Stevie hadn't been here for a while...oohhh the better part of twelve years in which a lot of people remember her being strung out on Klonopin.......would not have inspired the record company to part with hundreds of thousands perhaps millions of dollars to do a tour for which they could not be certain of a huge return...in the States, Stevie made a cool $18.000.000 for 36 shows, she is marketable and bankable still..so do the maths...statistically and logisitically Stevie could NOT earn those sorts of dollars from Europe.....and all the record company is interested in is the BOTTOM line on the accounting balance sheets. It is a very sad situation......but as for the Mac touring the UK and Europe like GR I hope that underneath it all Mick remembers that one half of the band is British born and bred......and I will also take the 'I believe it when they post the dates for the tour' attitude...
The only likely way to see the Mac.......is to travel again to the States.........
Old 07-21-2002, 01:46 AM

Default Club Shows?

Just a thought...The Rolling Stones are mixing their tour this fall between big arenas and small clubs. Maybe the Mac wants to do some shows in a smaller setting like that. Now wouldn't that be something? Seeing them in club.